My ex text me last night shortly after midnight to wish me a happy birthday. It just said "hey happy birthday, i only wish the best for you and hope you have a good night" Should I say thanks or anything else? I haven't spoken to her in 2 weeks.

I just don't her to think I'm cold or heartless that I can't even say thanks. Don't know what to do because I also don't want to look like I'm trying to get her back (which I am)

I broke NC about a week and a half ago with someone I should have avoided. At the time I said, "to not reply would be juvenile". Of course she replies to me, I reply to her, and I'm back at square one recovery-wise. My advice: don't reply. If you are anything like me, it will set wheels in motion in your mind that will just damage you.

Curious: why NC if you are trying to get her back? Think playing hard to get is going to lure her back?

I just want to make sure that she knows the line of communication is open. I'm not ignoring her. I thought i would send her back a funny message.

I'm doing NC mainly for me as talking to her every day would hurt, but also doing NC to give the space that she needs right now.

Bubbles, I hear ya man! My ex and I have been off for a week and a half and I started NC with her since Monday, when she told me she needs a little bit of space. Since then, she blocked me from her MSN. I was blocked from her Myspace. She created a facebook account, which I appear to not be able to access from MY own account. She added 350 people and seems to be doing pretty well since Monday, making tons of plans. There is still the issue of our belongings that have to be exchanged, which she seems to have forgotten about, along with me.

I am trying to respect her space like you are as well, but this is no longer an issue of if I give her space she will miss me, see me respecting her, want to have communication with me. I see it as her needing this space to MOVE ON from me completely and hopefully meet someone else.

Still, I am in conflict, like you probably are too. I want to continue to respect her space, but it just feels like the request for space was just an excuse (letting me down easy) and because of that, I NOW want my stuff back from her and I don't want to be strung along like that anymore. As much as I'm taking her feelings into account, I don't believe she's doing the same with me.

thanks a lot everyone. I was really conflicted on what to do. I am going to just send a thank you. That way I won't be questioning myself later on asking myself "what if" "why didn't you". It will stop me from nagging at myself and I feel like she also won't feel like I'm just trying to ignore her and hinder all future communication (if there will be any).

thanks a lot everyone. I was really conflicted on what to do. I am going to just send a thank you. That way I won't be questioning myself later on asking myself "what if" "why didn't you". It will stop me from nagging at myself and I feel like she also won't feel like I'm just trying to ignore her and hinder all future communication (if there will be any).

I agree. After 11 days of NC it was my ex's birthday and I wasn't sure if I should acknowledge it or not. I choose to send her a text and I am glad that I did. I understand the advantages of NC, but I would have felt like a jerk if I didn't acknowledge her birthday.