restore my faith in romance..

I think we have such low expectations today that we look at romance as expendable. I once dated a guy (well we were 19 so he was a boy) who used to leave me little notes. I would go to class and open my text book and there would be a little message like, "You're beautiful. I love you." That is romantic. It doesn’t have to be big and outlandish. My current boyfriend, not so much with the romance stuff. I would say all of my boyfriends after that boy with the exception of the Argentinean i dated (of course he was romantic!) were lost in the romance dept. I equate romance to thoughtfulness and how is it that the majority of today's men (and women for that matter) give such little thought to their lovers? For Christmas this year my grandfather had a necklace custom made for his wife, which was beautiful but the way he gave it to her was so sweet. On Christmas morning they were getting ready to come over and he told her what a great job she had done decorating the tree this year and she said oh thanks. He continued to say how nice it looked and then asked, "Oh this ornament is nice, where did you get it?" When she looked at it she saw that it was a big ball with the necklace hanging inside. How romantic is that?

What have you done that was romantic?

Heather

• Like 1

My boyfriend gave me a lovely necklace for the birthday on which we had just decided to start dating again (after being apart for almost 10 years). He put it on for me. I asked him later why he hadn't used that opportunity for our first kiss (well first kiss in round two . . .). He said it was because he thought it would ruin the moment - he wanted it to be just about presenting me with the necklace and if he had tried to kiss me it would have been kind of taking advantage of the fact that he was standing an inch away from me.

My bf and I are very into the sweet lil romantic stuff - we flirt all the time, etc., leave cute messages, e-mails, etc., sing to me on the phone, etc. Many of the men I've dated over the years were into that sort of thing too.

how is it that the majority of today's men (and women for that matter) give such little thought to their lovers?

What are you basing this assumption on? I don't see how one can surmise the majority of people aren't romantic before. How in the world would you figure that out, quantify it, and prove it?

Just because you're in a less than satisfying relationship, don't assume that's just the way it is in general. It's not.

We generally attract people and situations in life because of our choices and actions. As the saying goes, "Your life is your choices."

I can agree that romance is about the little things but I cannot agree with your other statements. I often equate romance with reassurance of how the person feels or how they should be feeling. I would say that the measures that people go with reassuring their partner of their feelings is often too much.

My boyfriend and I got our pupils dilated simultaneously (we are both horribly nearsighted and decided to go to the eye doctor together). Afterwards, he had to take me to a diner for lunch because I didn't have to be able to read the menu -- now that's romantic. . ..