I was making small talk with a customer at work today, and she told me that my ex-boyfriend's grandmother died a week ago. I checked the obituaries later, and it was indeed true. Now, we've been broken up since the end of July, and haven't had any contact for the last few weeks. I know it's an incredibly hard time for his family, especially since his other grandmother died at the beginning of the year. I'm thinking of sending the whole family a sympathy card...Should I? Should I just address it to his mom (it was her mother who died) or to the whole family? Also, by the time the mail goes out, it will have been 9 days since her death...is that too late to send a sympathy card? And would it be odd to send one, because I didn't send them a holiday card? Or should I just send him a quick email saying that I'm sorry to find out about her death and leave it at that? Or do I just ignore it altogether?

Did he dump you?

Is your current relationship with your ex on a healthy, mature friendship level?

Have you coped and dealt with any grief you experienced as a result of the breakdown of your relationship?

Dont use it as an excuse to get back in touch.

Move on.

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and thereforeeee never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee..." - John Donne

Forget the politics.