Dealing with back and neck pain

What is the best way to deal with back and neck pain without resorting to prescription pain meds? It is cold, rainy and damp out here. This morning I woke up and my back and neck were extremely sore and painful. I went to class but I cancelled out on my clinical because it is hard for me to stand for too long before my neck starts bothering me. I think the dampness and cold are affecting me. Also I lifted a heavy box yesterday from my car to my apt (I did take the elevator but I had to walk to the elevator and to my apt).

Right now I have a Thermacare pad on my neck and that helps. I just feel stiff and achy in my neck and back and hands.

I still need to put my desktop computer together tonight. Right now I am still using the laptop.

What else can I do to deal with this annoying thing?

Thanks!

For me it's been a combination of:

*Exercise ( strength training, yoga)

*a chiropractor

*a heating pad now and then if it gets bad

Stretching excersies like yoga really help to reverse the damage that is done by sitting in a chair at a computer. If you must be at a computer for long periods of time, take breaks to stretch out.

BellaDonna

I know they are expensive, but a massage works wonders on the soft tissue. If you can work in a session every couple of months it might help.

Sometimes laying on a flat hard surface like the floor helps to put things back into alignment. I'll often do that if I feel a migraine coming on, and it seems to work.

BellaDonna

Sorry yesterday took a toll on you.

For me, laying on the floor with my knees up rests the angry muscles, and I take ibuprofen. I used to see a chiropractor but suspect the massage did more than the cracking. I try to avoid sitting, preferring to lay on my back or stand up.

I used to have stress-induced spasms that would all but disappear after laying on a tennis ball in the right spot.

Maybe you could find a massage expert in your area.

I did take some ibuprofen and that helped. As for massages, I used to get them on occasion and they help. I may go looking to do that. The deep tissue massages usually helped me a lot.

I didnt use to have problems with my neck and back until about three years ago when I hurt myself skiing. I saw a neurologist and all that, and I have some congenital problems in my upper spine.

I may just lay down for now and put off putting together the desktop.

Sometimes I have to realize I CANT do everything on my own. I hate asking people for help and would rather carry heavy boxes on my own, even though it wreaks havoc on me.

I have long term neck and shoulder problems and now and again they do get so bad as to be debilitating. The key is to learn how to move properly so as not to aggravate it. That really seems to help more than anything in my experience. In my case if it becomes severely aggravated then I become physically incapacitated for usually 2-3 days and can't even move. In these cases the only thing that helps me is heat; as much of it as I can possibly stand. You have to be careful with that though, as too much of it can and will cause burns to the skin surface so make sure you regulate how much of it you take. Other than that, I have found it really works wonders. Definitely hold off on the desktop construction until you feel back to 100%. Hope this helps. Be well.

It's unlikely that carrying one or two heavier than normal items would cause the neck and back pain, it's quite likely something else.

Massage is the best if you can get it. Meds to kill the pain is not actually helping solve the problem at all. Does it feel like tight, bunched up muscles? My assumption is that it is that rather than an actual strain injury.

With a strain injury you definitely have to have it easy. If your muscles are tight then the best thing to do is get those worked on directly, which is what the massage and stretching does. Ibuprofen tends to take swelling down which is often linked to the soreness so that's why it works.

Make sure when you are at your computer (may it be a desktop or a laptop) that it's set up as ergonomically as you can manage. Make sure you're not constantly overworking a certain set of joints or muscles, or straining in an unusual way. I personally find laptops are much worse on me than a desktop, I tend to stretch my head and neck down and forward as an awkward angle.

Check to make sure your pillow is appropriate for your neck/back and how you sleep (side, back, front). Do you wake up sore? Does it come on during the day? More noticeable when you're stressed? These can be clues that will help you identify what the main source of the problem is.

I do yoga, use those thermal thingies. When its really bad I lay on the floor on my back with my body in as straight a line as possible and my knees bent at about 90deg. I breathe slow and try to relax all the muscles in my torso. Hot showers are wonderful.

Desk chairs are a big deal in back health if you spend time at the computer. You want to get a chair that allows you to sit up straight and not slouch. If I'm having lower back pain, I roll a hand towel and put it in the lumbar area to support my back more. Proper posture helps a lot, when standing or sitting make sure to be aware of how you sit.

I personally find laptops are much worse on me than a desktop, I tend to stretch my head and neck down and forward as an awkward angle..

I agree with this. Hunching over a laptop is way worse for me, and as much as I love my portable, the big display on my desktop lets me sit comfortably.

Maybe Ren's new desktop machine will help.

RW,

Not sure you would have to necessarily join a yoga class, but stretching in general may alleviate your pain. I would recommend making a routine out of it and possibly even getting an exercise ball to help with your flexibility.

As far as neck pain goes, see a chiropractor or get a massage. Recently, I had experienced neck pain so I switched to a pillow that offered more neck support and also has the temperpedic cushion. It's one of those wavy ones - at first, it wasn't the most comfortable but I got used to it and now I wake up with no neck pain and feel much better in the mornings. Hope this bit helps.

Well, I took a nap with the themacare pad on my neck and I feel better. I made an appt to get a massage tomorrow so that should help. I like getting massages, but they are NOT cheap at all. But they do relax me. I am also going to get a better computer chair. My brother has a computer chair at my parent's house and I am going to bring it back the next time I am home.