Knowing and Moving to a Foreign Country

BYOB

There was that first time I thought about leaving home:

I've thought about it and I wasn't ready to move yet.

But now I'm reconsidering the idea and this time, I'm thinking about moving to a foreign country. However, when comes the need to get set about all kind of important things to know, it's harder.

How or where can I find all of the information that I need ?

Is it easyer to find on the internet, with a travelling compagny or by trying to make contact with people living there ?(the third possibility is best but the hardest is to find/get that contact)

I also wonder what are the government rules and main dangers there. It's clearly something I should know before to move but getting information about that sounds rather a huge task to accomplish.

If you were me, what would you do ?

I'm seriously thinking about any kind of paradise island. (Obviously without the expensive part of it.)

If you were me, what would you do ?

First thing I would do is travel. No matter how much research you do you will never know what a place is liek and whether you could live there until you go and spend some time there first.

A paradise island. Have you ever spent any time on an island before?

I also think that its a really good idea to travel to a place to get the feel of it before deciding to move to that country. However, this may not be possible or may be too expensive depending on how far the foreign country you are considering moving to is from where you live.

However, you can find all the information you're asking about on the internet if you look in the right places. A good place to start for information about any foreign country is to visit the website of its embassy/high commission in your own country as well as the official government website of that country which will link to a wealth of information about every aspect of that country. You can also look at that country's entry in general travel sites such as link removed . You should also read the websites of newspapers from that country because most newspapers have sections such as fashion, lifestyle, sports etc. that will give you an insight into how a society and how its people live their lives. You can find newspapers from around the world, and in the english language, at:

link removed

link removed

link removed

link removed

... and many other sites .

I'd need to know which specific country you are considering moving to, to be of any further help than that

I fear travelling since it's expensive and along my impression, it's not what I need. (The travelling cost convinces me enough to forget about going here and there.)

Once I'm there, I immediately need a job, a temporary or permanent residence (whatever has a roof) plus have access to a nearby university. (as much near as possible)

The first pick I got in mind is Hawaii but generally when you read an information brochure, it's full of "1 week trip to the super-mega-(expensive)-XoX-hotel-you'll-be-satisfied".

When I'm concerned about dangers, I'm thinking about tornados, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, deadly animals, criminality.

But now I'm reconsidering the idea and this time, I'm thinking about moving to a foreign country.

The first pick I got in mind is Hawaii

The US is technically a foreign country to Canadians I suppose.

Once I'm there, I immediately need a job...

And how are you going to do that? Green-cards are not easy things to get. You should look into visas for commonwealth countries - you can get 2 year working holiday visas for some countries if you're under a certain age.

You could try looking for books. I know that both Canada and the Netherlands had some very good books for immigrants - full of information like where to find jobs, homes, cultural things, etc. You could try find one for the place you are thinking about.

Second, take long trips - you might find out that you don't like it! Maybe Hawaii is too humid for you

You can probably also look up the country's immigration site - there is probably a lot of info there, both on HOW to immigrate and for after.

I'm not aware about that green card. I'm not an adult yet. How does it matter ?

Well trying to get answers is definitely what I'm gonna do.

I could anytime go there and then decide to come back, huh ? So moving there wouldn't be the end of the world if I'm well informed and everything pleases me, I guess.

I don't think that Hawaii can be too hot or humid. Looking at a chart on the temperature they got there annually, I think I'll be very satisfyed. What I don't know and that I should look up is if it's often rainy there.

lol - in that case, I would recommend going somewhere on a shorter trip, like a vacation. or maybe do a study abroad while you are in college (which I highly recommend!)

yeah, depending on the country, you may need a visa to work and live there. many countries you do not need a visa to go to vacation, but need one if you intend to work.

do a study abroad while you are in college

Well, that's about what I had in mind except that I didn't use the same words to describe my intentions. So it make me come up with a summary of what I wanna do:

Travel to an interesting place

Live there for more than a month

Have access to school

Have access to a job (to help me balance my bills)

What's certain is that I didn't have in mind to get a house; I'm still a kid and I'm still to studies.

Note to myself: That's where you realize that knowing entirely a context is important...

do you attend college right now?

many universities have a 'study abroad office' filled with brochures of all their partner universities, where you can go and take classes for a semester or a year. I'm sure many also have ties to places you can get a job.

they will 'talk you through' the process if you are interested in going to a particular country. they will know all the documents you need and requirements.

I got some deceiving information: fees for such studies in USA would be really much higher than I had expected.

So what's left to me is either get back to idea number

1: move inside of the country or

2: look for information about working there without experience and formation or

3: stay here and deal with my "messy" home without being in depts

But first of all, I gotta choose one...

I got some deceiving information: fees for such studies in USA would be really much higher than I had expected.

So what's left to me is either get back to idea number

1: move inside of the country or

2: look for information about working there without experience and formation or

3: stay here and deal with my "messy" home without being in depts

But first of all, I gotta choose one...

you didn't answer my question! are you in school?

as for #2, here's the thing.... depending on where you are from, you can visit the united states EITHER as a tourist, or as a worker or as a student. If you want to work or study, you have to get a visa AHEAD of time. before you come to the US (it is a special visa you must obtain). you have to make all the arrangements. if you want to visit, then it is easier to enter the US, but it is temporary.

I'm not sure if you necessarily need to travel. Living in and traveling through a country are two different experiences, I would imagine. I agree it would be ideal if you could at least visit the place first, though, that you're thinking of moving to.

But, if you can't, you can at least do plenty of research first. With the Internet, there are forums on just about any possible subject, so research is a lot easier and more detailed.

If I didn't have two dogs, I would seriously consider moving to another country, just for the experience. And, I may very well do it anyway, at some point, if an opportunity presents itself AND only if I can safely get my dogs to wherever I go. I ain't leavin' without my pooches.

It's funny, I was researching the safest way to transport pets overseas (it's NOT via plane), and I discovered the Cunard cruise lines actually have on-board kennels, so that would be one way.

But, I don't know if you have pets or children, if you don't, nothing is holding you back, friend! Go for it, I say.

annie24> yes I'm a high school graduate and currently a college student.

Basically, that's right: I got nobody and no feelings that are holding me here in Canada but I got that high material and experience need. I'm 19, all I got is a high school diploma, had a very few jobs in life plus you can get an idea of my savings...

That's the setting. Now what's to do with it ?

well, ok, let's come up with a plan. you said you went to the study abroad office? how did that go? what were the more affordable plans? maybe you can start saving hard core right now, so next year, you'll be able to go.

do you have a job? if not, get one and try to have at least 50% of what you make be saved for your trip.

I've gone to the orientation office and asked to the secretary how I could get info bout studying abroad. She invited me to look at some books there were available and she said I try to have a meeting with a conselor working on that subject.

But that conselor passed by, busy and basically told me that if I had that idea in mind, I had better be rich. All I remember is a number: "It's not like here, it's $14 000 a year at universities in USA."

Basically, the most affordable plan that she was suggesting is to keep studying in the same country. At that point, I was thinking the same, you know...

Then I thought that I could try to go somewhere that the money currency is lower so that my savings sound higher but that's only an undevelopped idea.

So next year, I'll be able to go ? Next year ? Alright, I'll consider that point of view but there are a lot of consequences of making that trip a long term objective. Were you suggesting about working full-time after this fall semester? By the way, I'm not used to work at all. I've never been more than 2 months for the same job.

well, I don't think that counselor is being very helpful! yes, there are some universities that are expensive here, but many that are not.

there are other options.... you could find a less expensive university, or just move for one summer, and work in a coffee shop or something. or take classes at a community college. there are plenty of options, that are far less expensive. i would talk to a different counselor.

if I find some interesting programs, I will post them here for you. keep searching!

well, dor someone that has travelled alot.i can give you this advice.

sometimes in life you have to take a step. The step is, "doing it on your own".

NO doubt it is expensive to travel, and as it is your first ime travelling, i would advice that yo choose a country that is more developed then a 3rd world country and then slowly expose yourself to see the world that is out there.

It's like when you have your first bicycle. you start with your street then your neighbourhood, then the next street after that and you realise that there is so much to see.

Start small, start with a developed country. talk to people that has been places and taell then what you want.