Does anyone believe in "colon cleansing" or detoxification?

I am sure it is in here somewhere, but I thought I would ask.

Lately, I have just been feeling bleah! Also, my back has been tight and I have been, well, you know.

So, I have noticed that I am full of something.

I have been told that you should use some type of purification as you get older, every few months AND replace the bacteria in your intestines.

Any thoughts?

No, it's, pun intended, a load of crap.

There is no need to "replace" bacteria in your intestines, as long as you are staying healthy. Bacteria is required in fact as part of the process. If you "replace" it you are also removing the good ones too!

The best thing to do to keep your intestines moving and bowels healthy is to eat a healthy diet full of veggies, fruit, whole grains - soluble and non-soluble fibres etc and avoid fried, fatty, refined and overly processed foods and to MOVE your body. Regular exercise keeps your digestive system moving. Trust me if you run regularly for example, you will be regular.

The reason most people are "bunged up" is because they fail to do the two above, stop moving their bodies, eat a lot of "crap" and then look for miracles.

If you don't solve the SOURCE of the problem, all you are doing is covering up the "symptoms".

Though hey, if it is something that would float your boat...go for it...

It seems to be a "trend" in recent years- and a strange one at that. Many celebrities are having it done. The whole thing totally puzzles me. Buying a pair of trendy shoes is one thing....but that whole colon cleansing trend would never be something I'd be enthusiastic about joining in on.

As RayKay stated, eat a healthy diet, don't eat garbage, drink a lot of water. Your colon does not need any more maintenance than that. If you eat healthy foods and stay hydrated, toxins will leave and stay out of your body naturally (as they were intended to).

This is a case where I believe exits should remain exits....

Colonic irrigation is performed by passing a rubber tube through the rectum. Some propoponents have advocated that the tube be inserted as much as 30 inches. Warm water -- often 20 gallons or more -- is pumped in and out through the tube, a few pints at a time, to wash out the contents of the large intestine. (An ordinary enema uses about a quart of fluid.)

BellaDonna

It seems to be a "trend" in recent years- and a strange one at that. Many celebrities are having it done. The whole thing totally puzzles me. Buying a pair of trendy shoes is one thing....but that whole colon cleansing trend would never be something I'd be enthusiastic about joining in on.

As RayKay stated, eat a healthy diet, don't eat garbage, drink a lot of water. Your colon does not need any more maintenance than that. If you eat healthy foods and stay hydrated, toxins will leave and stay out of your body naturally (as they were intended to).

This is a case where I believe exits should remain exits....

BellaDonna

I hate to say it Bella, but I think it's a "trend" among many movie stars because....I would say there are a lot of people whom are famous whom also indulge in certain drugs which have a known constipative effect.

Also, even if they don't, they are weird people and prone to getting involved in all sorts of weird things like Scientology, is it that strange they also jump on the colonics band wagon?

um, yeah, as a microbiologist, I see NO reason to do that! Those bacteria are good for you, they help break down food and they provide important co-factors and vitamins that your body needs.

Furthermore, I think you are setting yourself up at risk if you do that. One thing that often happens to people who take lots and lots of antibiotics is that the body's normal flora gets destroyed and that allows for other bacteria to potentially come in and invade your colon. The ones you have in there are your natural defenses against more dangerous bacteria!

I think drinking plenty of water, eating grains, fruits and veggies is the best way to cleanse your system.

I bet if, just for one week, you ate at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies, exercised, drank water, no soda, no alcohol, you might find your body refreshed right away!

If your back is tight, take a yoga class and ask the instructor for some specific stretches for your back. I am currently taking a yoga for flexibility class and it's amazing how much my body is loosening, and so fast! it's done great things for my back too. I have almost no more back pain!

no need to stick a tube up your butt!

I hate to say it Bella, but I think it's a "trend" among many movie stars because....I would say there are a lot of people whom are famous whom also indulge in certain drugs which have a known constipative effect.

Probably true.

And then there are those who want to illusion that they've lost 2 pounds- even though as soon as they eat or drink again the 2 pounds will be "back".

no need to stick a tube up your butt! LOL!

BellaDonna

no need to stick a tube up your butt!

Unless that's your thing.

I would be MORE concerned with the 20 gallons of water, lack of licensing required really and perforated colons (that would NOT be a good thing!).

We all know douching is not a good thing for your "body's natural balance", I can't see how someone came up with re-inventing the colonics as a good one instead!

I have had a colon cleanse and have been on detox diets and both made me feel great! I didn't get the traditional Hollywood colon cleanse however, i bought some Magnesium powder, which when mixed with water and consumed, turns to H2O in your colon and cleanses it from the inside out.

Whilst i agree (with RayKay) that a diet laden with fresh fruit and vegetables is the best thing for your general health, a colon cleanse will remove the toxins from your colon and in all honesty, does make you feel significantly better. I only ever do it for a few days though, as i do get a bit worried about destroying the good bacteria in my colon. Not to be blunt, but your faeces does turn to liquid and it is a bit unnerving!

As for the cleansing diet, i have previously been on an anti-candida diet, in which i ingested no sugar, alcohol or wheat for 2 weeks, and felt pretty good afterwards. I have also been on a liver cleansing diet, which consisted of fruit for 2 days and then salads and lean meats for 10 days afterwards. I felt great after that one! And am thinking of doing something similiar as soon as the summer fruits are available.

I don't believe in 'colon cleansing' but I do believe in taking acidophilus, which is the same bacteria as in yogurt. I have irritable bowel syndrome and interestingly, when I have a steady supply of acidophilus in my system, I don't react to many foods I normally do.

when I stop taking it, I start getting yeast infections and my ibs symptoms return quite forcefully. Interesting overall.

WOW! Yeah, I heard about the acidophilus and have heard that antibiotics can kill the good bacteria, as well.

I guess what I was really wondering is the whole "detox" thing. I don't plan on having 20 gallons up there, much less anything else. I just was prescribed some meds by the 'ol doctor and even though I do drink the water and eat healthy, sometimes it is still as if I ate a "brick".

Also, when you get older as a guy, we have to worry about it, such that we take care of the 'ol prostate. I do find that when I stress out, I have a hard time with my stomach (which should be a motivating factor "NOT" to stress). Also, if there is a change in climate, food, stress, anti-inflammatory meds, etc., also effects me. Weird, huh?