Well, I just did it!

I handed in my resignation letter this morning to my boss! I felt terribly guilt, and have been dreading it for ages, but this morning knew I had to do it, and just walked in there when I had a brief moment of courage!

I gave him 6 weeks of notice, due to vacation schedules for him, and it being summer and busy, I did not want to leave him in lurch, so he was grateful for that. I don't know why it was so hard, as I have resigned before at other places...but here was different, it's an ultra small office and I really like my boss. We talk a lot so it felt like I was letting him down!

As some of you know, I did this as I am going back to school in September, and I did tell him that, and he was very congratulatory of that, so I felt pretty good as he was very good about it! He really made it easier on me!

No turning back now......it really feels more real now. In less than two months, and after 6.5 years, I will be a full time student again!

Unfortunately, the finances are still in disarray, I have been approved for student loans but of course they barely cover the tuition, so another part time job is in my near future.......I really need something kind of flexible though time wise. I now live near three schools, so it would be great if I could babysit or something even, though it all depends on my school schedule. Sigh....

Despite it all, it DOES feel great to be doing this for me, and to finally making that decision to do what feels right, and take a bit more control over my long term career.

(P.S. Thanks kellbell for the great draft letter to work from, it ended up being a great letter - sweet and succint!)

Also glad that you had not to resign from eNotAlone.

I really hope I don't have to either! I will try my best not too, but it depends how busy things are. It's important to me to keep my training in my life as well, and unfortunately I may only be able to keep so many hobbies up!

Oh that is great news RayKay! I know it can be nerve wracking matter, telling your boss you are leaving. But you are leaving with very good reason. And you gave plenty of notice. I am so glad that weight is off your shoulders, I know how you feel.

Congrads on living your dream!

P.S. Your welcome about the letter. I am glad it was useful.

Congratulations!!

You have the guts to do what a lot of people wouldn't be able to do, due to the comfort of their current job. (myself included)

I know how hard it is to start school again at our age. I'm currently doing my MBA parttime and work fulltime. It's hard work but you know what? At the end, it will all be worth it!!

Congrats again!! And good luck!!

RayKay, you must be getting very excited - and a wee nervous - about your next new adventure! You're gonna do just fine, and make a great lawyer in the not too far off future.

Petsitting is also a good gig, and you can pick and choose your hours. People always need a reliable & responsible sitter for their furry friends and you fit that bill for sure.

Congratulations!!

You have the guts to do what a lot of people wouldn't be able to do, due to the comfort of their current job. (myself included)

I know how hard it is to start school again at our age. I'm currently doing my MBA parttime and work fulltime. It's hard work but you know what? At the end, it will all be worth it!!

Congrats again!! And good luck!!

Yes, it's so easy to just "stay" but not really...fulfilling. The hard part is giving UP the comfortable salary, to fork over almost just as much every year to have privilege of exams and studying! And the routine too, to some degree. Not having to worry too much about where the money will come from, that kinda thing.

Congrats on your MBA, I know a few people whom have done their MBA (engineers). It was originally designed for Engineers, which I found out a while ago, thought that was interesting!

RayKay, you must be getting very excited - and a wee nervous - about your next new adventure! You're gonna do just fine, and make a great lawyer in the not too far off future.

Petsitting is also a good gig, and you can pick and choose your hours. People always need a reliable & responsible sitter for their furry friends and you fit that bill for sure.

Thanks Scout

Ooh, yeah, petsitting.

I should just put out an odd job advertisement: cleaning, babysitting, petsitting, housesitting, basic lawn care, etc and see what comes of it.

Hey, congrats!! It can be scary to step out into new territory, but also very exciting, especially if it's to get toward a goal you know you want to accomplish, and something that's very important to you. You've got so much strength and courage, and I think it speaks volumes that you were so very considerate of your employer as you embark on your new venture. Best of luck to you.

Hey Raykay,

Congrats! And ultimately leaving work for school is a very reasonable & commonplace reason for leaving a company, so I'm sure he understood. Giving him 6 weeks notice was also kind of you, and I'm sure appreciated as well.

Just curious -- what are you going back to school for? Are you entering law school? I think it might have been you who mentioned that to me before, but not sure. Are you going to U of A?

Congrats again,

Lily

Hey Raykay,

Congrats! And ultimately leaving work for school is a very reasonable & commonplace reason for leaving a company, so I'm sure he understood. Giving him 6 weeks notice was also kind of you, and I'm sure appreciated as well.

Just curious -- what are you going back to school for? Are you entering law school? I think it might have been you who mentioned that to me before, but not sure. Are you going to U of A?

Congrats again,

Lily

Thanks Lily...

Yup Law...and nope, U of M(anitoba). I wanted to stay here due to my mum & family & boyfriend of course....and we just bought a house as well so moving is not desired!

if you plan on getting a part-time job, i highly recommend tutoring. babysitting, petsitting are fun and great, but tutoring will pay you like 4-6x more money so you can spend less time working, doing something intellectually challenging and i think it's more enjoyable. but then again, you have to have the patience to teach (it's very rewarding imo). i recommend teaching junior high -> college as tutoring elementary kids is practically babysitting from my experience.

it's always difficult to leave a great working environment, but sometimes the long-term rewards outweigh the risks. i've had 3 real jobs since i graduated and have resigned twice, both times leading to either a greater opportunity or salary. the first time i resigned, i got a 35% salary increase at my 2nd job. the second time i resigned from a bank in downtown Los Angeles, i hated the working environment and my coworkers (haha, working there made me realize that it's INCREDIBLY important who you spend 8 hrs a day with) and decided i'd rather be unemployed than hating my life. (btw, quitting your job without looking for a new one while living with your g/f and her parents will cause an amazing amount of conflict especially if you stay home playing video games all the time haha, good days.

GL in school!

Hey now better,

Actually, I have considered tutoring because 1) I am so close to schools 2) I have some experience just from some tutoring I did in HS and 3) I have some close family and friends whom are teachers and can give some extra advice.

I actually have also thought of doing a reading program/learn to read program of sorts for the younger ones.

It's definitely something I have thought of, but I am not entirely sure where to start!

i'm not sure if you want to start your own program. that's a lot of logistical work and i'm not sure people will pay (or pay well) to teach their kids to read. i think people are more likely to pay to help them with their hw and give them additional hw. i could see incorporating reading skills into this tutoring.

the hardest part about being a tutor is developing a client base. i'm not sure if this is against any rules or not, but maybe you could go to the local stationary store and have like 1000 business cards made with your contact information/skills, then have your teacher family/friends pass these out. also put up notices at the libraries and contact the schools about how you can make it known that you want to tutor.

if you really want to help little kids read, i would leverage a pre-existing program like a nearby library and ask about their reading program to see if you can help out. but then again, that's volunteer work and you're not getting paid. i e-mailed our local library to see if i could volunteer in their tutoring program... never got a reply. guess a master's degree in computer science from USC isn't good enough for them!

Congrats RayKay!

You are well on your way.

Another option to consider for part time work is working through the school ( work study), in the library or the computer lab. Those hours tend to be flexible and many of them allow you to read/study while you work. I know a couple of gals from my school work in the computer lab and get paid 15-16$ per hour and spend most of their time studying. It works out well for them and they get some cash as well.

Best of luck! Soon you will be where I started 2 years ago! (and the end of my tunnel is coming in December!