do people ever get this way when drinking?

Last night, I went out with a friend to a local pub (my ex used to love going to pubs to be able to enjoy a Guiness or a pub ale or something like that). I wanted to go drinking with a friend to sort of forget my problems and my depression (I am not doing really well with letting T go). The last time I went drinking was in Nov and I got really plastered that time. This time I had two glasses of hard apple cider and I was flying high. I ended up puking most of it out but at first, I was really happy and giddy, then I got real antsy and belligerent. I was glad my friend was there with me because my friend ended up driving me home.

My friend told me that if I wanted to enjoy the buzz of the alcohol, I had to pace myself. How do people pace themselves when they drink so that they dont get stone a*s drunk/wasted, puke on themselves, pass out, etc????

My other question is, when someone drinks and is coming off the "high" of drinking, has anybody ever felt bad like they wanted to rip their skin off. Last night after feeling real happy from the effects, as I was coming down off it, I felt really bad and antsy and uncomfortable to the point that I was banging my head on the floor, twisting around, wanting to rip my skin off and get rid of that feeling. I was glad I had a friend with me. My friend made sure I didnt drive and that I didnt kill myself or do myself harm.

I dont drink a lot (the last time I used to go out drinking on a regular basis was my first few years of college). thereforeeee, I dont know how to pace myself where I can get the buzz from the alcohol and not the after-effects of it.

Ren - I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

First off, I'd like to say I don't think drowning your troubles is all that healthy, but I do know what you mean.

I think pace yourself means don't drink five drinks in the first ten minutes. Have a shot and a beer and let it sit for a bit. You'll get a nice buzz without feeling completely out of control.

I don't suggest or reccomend getting poop-faced to anyone because, as you know, the next day trying to get out of your body is a common problem.

If you have a glass of wine or a couple of cocktails with friends, do it to be social, not to get plastered to forget about T.

Are things going badly between you and T lately?

The way I do it is, I sip one drink over an hour. After that I get a non-alcoholic drink, down that, then get an other alcoholic drink and have that for over the hour. wrinse and repeat.

I have been drunk many, many times and it is not attractive. I've thrown up, passed out etc. many times and I have now learnt how to deal with it.

A couple of drinks can put you in a good mood and make you more sociable but a lot of drinks can be sloppy.

I would say not to drink while you are depressed. Alcohol is a depressant and will, thereforeeee make you feel like * * * *.

I

Ideally you start drinking around 12 or 13 this way by the time your an adult you don't have to pace yourself...your tolerance is so high that you just drink as much as you want as fast as you want...also smoking w--d and using other drugs can help once the tolerance gets too high...ok just kidding...trust me everyone gets alittle out of hand when drunk...in my neighborhood there are bar fights all the time and the winner goes to jail and the loser to the hospital...(although one time i went to the hospital then jail-go figure)

Ta_ree_saw, yes, I am having problems with letting T go. I had previously posted a few threads about letting T out of my life because he was so toxic to me and that I was struggling to let T go. He calls me a lot and leaves me messages that I dont listen to. His mom called me once and I talked to her (I posted a thread about that on here) and he emailed me a few times. I am having a tough time with this whole situation even though I have a friend who is helping me get through this, hence us going out drinking last night.

I have no idea what my tolerance level is since I rarely drink. The last time I drank was in Nov. and I got totally plastered. Last night, I had two large glasses of hard apple cider and I was pretty buzzed after the first glass but I decided to have another one.

The sensation of wanting to tear off my skin came last night, when I was coming off the buzz of drinking. When I first drank, I was pretty high and happy, then I got real belligerent at my friend and got upset. My friend took me home where I was thrashing around on the floor feeling like crap and wanting to "get out of my body". Then I passed out and woke up a few hours later with a pounding headache and sleeping on the floor.

I like the buzz where I am really happy. I just dont like the downward spiral after that and want to know if that happens to everybody when they drink too much?

As for pacing myself, I guess I am not good at that.

lol JJ - I mean, "WHAT?"

Ren - I read the post about you removing the toxic-ness of T. I know you were doing it and I think I do remember reading that you talked to his mother.

I didn't hear he was e-mailing you and all of that. I'm sorry it's difficult. I am glad to hear you have a friend to lean on a bit.

I know you were worried about being too big of a burden to your friends. I'm glad you're letting them help you.

Are you in strcit no contact with T?? I mean, ignoring his e-mails and all? I hope so.

As for drinking too much, not pacing yourself and wanting to rip your skin off, MAN do I know what you're talking about. The best advice I can give you on that, the best way to avoid it, just don't drink.

Of course, we all enjoy the "high" of it but the destruction it does, the havoc it reeks and the "down" is sooooo not worth the price....

Stay strong, lean on your friends there and here on ena and stay away from booze.

Ta_ree_saw, yes he has been emailing me and calling me and leaving me messages. I have been good and not listening to them. Last night when I was plastered, I wanted to call him and tell him how tipsy I was. My friend stopped me from doing it. Actually I am glad I went out with my friend because they watched out for me and made sure I didnt do anything stupid (like run into traffic, drive, or jump off things). I was really out of it.

I am doing the NC with T. It isnt easy because I used to talk to him every day and put up with him yelling me at me about how his life was falling apart and how things were going bad, etc. I feel as though there is a void in my life right now and I am not sure how to deal with it. Hanging out with my friend is a good thing but I dont want to wear out my friend and I feel bad that they had to see a side of me last night that NOT many people see.

Ta, so you have had the "rip out your skin" feeling before? Everytime I get totally smashed, I get that way and sometimes I pass out from that. All I remember last night was feeling that way and wanting to rip my skin apart. I guess after that I passed out because the next thing I remember was sleeping on the floor with a blanket.

I dont drink a lot. I just wanted to go out with a friend and let off some tension.

Novaseeker, I think that can apply to me. I have always had problems with drinking alcohol and having it affect me too much or too quickly. It partly comes from my height and size. I have really never been able to figure out the fine line between getting pleasantly buzzed and fully smashed.

I am not having an easy time dealing with T. He is acting like an again and I miss him a lot and want to talk to him so much. He left me a voicemail again and I capitulated and listened to it . He and his bf went to an amusement park today and, as usual, T said if I wasnt so busy bumming around with my friends and being an to him, I could have come with him.

I miss T a lot. I am very lonely and very unhappy right now. Tomorrow is T's birthday and I was supposed to go out with them, prior to all this. I want to see him again. I dont want to be hated by him.

I am very depressed and want T back.

Hello...my name is BK, I'm Asian and I'm a cheap drunk.

I have about a 2-3 drink limit and I would feel pretty lousy. My face turns bright red after half a drink and I feel the affects real fast.

I was better in college but that's only bc I drank all the time and built up a better tolerance. I would probably have a 10 drink limit. However, I'm one of those people who has never enjoyed the taste of alcohol. I'm pretty sensitive to it.

Anyway Ren, I know how you felt and I have been there before. Just pace yourself next time. Sometimes I would have an alcoholic drink and a non-alcoholic drink at the same time. Sip on non-A when I start to feel buzzed and when I'm feeling better, I would continue to drink my A drink.

As for T, I know how hard it is to lose a friend that you thought would be there forever. Especially with the past you have with him. However, people change and he has become toxic to your well being. He's degrades you and makes you feel down about yourself. It's not worth being friends with someone like that.

I remember when this happened to my best friend in college. It took months for me to get over the friendship but you will heal. It's like any relationship breakup it takes time to heal and you know you need to distance yourself because of how toxic the relationship is to you.

Preoccupy yourself with your family and other friends. Go out and join a club or sign up for some dance lessons.

Who knows how the future will be, you might be friends later on when the dust has settled and he realizes what a great friend he lost and giving him time to grow up a little doesn't hurt either.

Sounds like a waste of time to try to figure out how to "drink" properly. Why not decide that you will enjoy the occasional drink or glass of wine only if you sip it, it is on a full stomach and the goal is not to get buzzed in the least. Even if you could "learn" how to drink - whatever that means - you never know on a particular day what your tolerance level is and the end result simply will be that now you know how to take in empty calories and alcohol, neither of which is healthful for you and how to get "buzzed." Is that endeavor really worth your time?

I am going to just basically talk about the drinking. And not sure what other people have said as I am short for time and not read theirs (sorry).

Basically, one factor is how much you drink. The other is what you drink.

First of, drink slowly, at first if you don't feel the effects. DON'T drink any quicker. Stay at the same pace, I can make a pint last up to an hour. Basically I will drink 5 or 6 pints in one night but as I have spread them over about 5 hours. I have basically been on a constant high for at least 4 hours.

As you are a lady, and not really built up a tolerance, obviously you should drink less than that, and you may find like one glass of whatever will keep you going longer than you think. Then when you feel effects wearing off buy another.

As for what you drink. Well many rules here;-

1. Don't mix (I am bad at this, and always end up mixing vodka and beer) As a general rule stick to the same type of drink all night. i.e. If you start with a spirit that is "white" only drink white spirits all night. And don't mix beer’s with wine (where they saying "Don’t mix the grape and the grain" came from).

2. What you drink even at the same strength will determine how you feel. Personally Traditional Ciders that have like been stored in oak barrels make me feel bad. But another example is. Take two bottles of wine at the same strength one is white one is red. They are a medium strength of around 8.5%. I can drink 2 bottles of the white and not be sick. But 2 bottles of red and I will most likely throw up. The reason being it is not as "clean" and contains high amounts of tannin (which also increase the risk of a hangover). Surprisingly a lot of red wines even contain arsenic. This leads me onto my next point.

3. Some alcohols are considered "clean" meaning they have less additives and also there chemical composition is different. Alcohol is 2 main substances, "ethanol and methanol" Some alcohols such as vodka contain pure ethanol, but whiskey contains high amounts of methanol. Primarily the ethanol is broken down first, and the methanol is broken down second which is what leaves you feeling sick, and as you put it "makes you want to rip your skin off" Also the unwell feeling is coupled with the depletion of salt and sugar reserves which are used by the liver to break down the ethanol. As a whole the methanol is a contaminant and found mostly in cheap red wine, port, whiskey and fruit brandy.

4. After you have finished drinking, top up your water with water. And if you have had a heavy drinking session, mix this water with salt and sugar (it well help reduce the hangover and any liver pains you may be feeling) Careful though if you already feel sick, as it doesn't taste very nice.

I hope this has helped.

Jon

p.s. I can't promise the grammar is any good, as I have taken bits out and added as I went along.

Ren, I'm going to echo what others are saying, if you drink to drown your sorrow, you will drink too much too fast and it won't be pretty.

As for drinking for a "good time", ie, without getting sick and being an * * *, pace yourself. Have a drink, and then have a huge glass of water. If you feel yourself coming down again, and want another drink, have one, then have some more water. The water really truly helps with the hangover (which is what you were feeling afterwards). Don't mix liquors.

Every person is different in terms of tolerance. Even with the same person, each drinking session can be different. One night me and my guy were at a mountain resort and I drank A LOT. The high altitude combined with lots of liquor as well as different types should have knocked me right out. But I was still walking at the end of the night and ready and raring to go. Last weekend, my birthday, I had a glass of wine and it knocked me right out.

One more suggestion, drink mixed drinks. Have a tall gin and tonic, or a tall screwdriver. You get not so much alcohol with a lot of fluid, keeps you hydrated and you're still drinking.

Hello...my name is BK, I'm Asian and I'm a cheap drunk.

Welcome BK!

yes, not only do some asians have a lower tolerance to alcohol due to a variation in their aldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme (thank you biochemistry class), but because of your height, alcohol will probably hit you faster also.

I'm a cheap date too. Just a few drinks and I sing show-tunes and will tell you all sorts of embarrasing stories about me.

anyways, please don't drink to drown your sorrows. when you wake up, you feel like crap, and the problem is still there. it didn't go away. better to deal with the root of the problem, make sure to deal with it.

BLOCK ALL calls/texts from T. they are not helping you any.

Yes, when you drink something strong, it is possible to end up doing pretty silly things, but then you'll have to know how much will your body tolerate. There is difference between drinking on occasions to chill and start talking to friend and to get so wasted. Using alcohol to hide your problems while being depress isn't a healthy lifestyle, it can lead lead to have side effects and then it would be hard to withdraw from alcohol.

Ailec1987, I am not worried about drinking being a problem for me because I so RARELY drink. The fact that I RARELY drink is why I can't tell where my limit. My height and weight usually means that after one drink or one beer, I am kind of toasted. I should just have stopped after one glass of hard cider since I was pretty happy by then.

I just wanted to go out and have a good time because I was kind of sad last night.