How to block your ex's web page

how to block your ex's website from your computer

1. open up internet explorer

2. click on tools-->internet options

3. the "internet options" window will open

4. click on the "content" tab

5. click on the "enable" button under the "content advisor" button

6. click on the "approved sites" tab

7. in the text box under "Allow this Web site", type in the website url of the ex (for example: "link removed"

8. click on "Never"

9. click on "apply"

10. a window will open to prompt you to "Create supervisor password"

11. create password, or have a friend create it for you

12. in the "hint" text box, type something that will prevent you from trying to go there...eg: "don't do it!"

13. click on "ok"

14. next time you try to go to that page, a dialog box should pop up and prompt for a supervisor password.

15. rinse, lather, repeat for all web sites with their pics/profiles/blogs/life

i'm typing this because i'm fighting the temptation to visit the ex's myspace. haven't done so for over 2 weeks and don't want to ruin my good NC record.

he contacted one of my friends on myspace, for whatever reason. she informed me of this. i told her just don't tell me anything about him anymore, ever.

i'm trying to disconnect and sever all connections, why did he have to indirectly sneak in and ruin my process of disremembering?

what the hell does he want by contacting my friend? he really disliked her and said loads of crap about her when we were together.

Thanks for the tip. For this reason, I'm totally not into Myspace. Once a break-up occurs, I personally would like to keep my life private. I wouldn't want to stumble accross an ex's profile, and in worst case scenario, only to find out the real reasons of the break-up - because of another woman. Too much drama.

Kinda off topic, but I heard this somewhere: Often times, when break ups occur, it's because it usually involves another person. In other cases, rare cases, it's usually because both people realize they're just not right for each other and they've totally exhausted each other to the point of breaking up. But most times, break ups often occur because it usually involves another person. This has always been the case when I look back at my past relationships along with my friends'.

I think that would be my greatest nightmare..to find out that what seemed to be an amicable break-up wasn't so. For this reason, I would hate to complicate things by avidly engaging in myspace. Once a relationship's broken, I just want peace. I just want space. I wouldn't want to know what the heck is going on in an ex's life.

fifregister, many thanks for posting this...it's been extremely helpful!

Although I've been doing NC for a few weeks, I've been struggling to stay away from his online profiles (fool that I am...;-))

I'm not particularly IT-minded, so this advice was very useful - I've now blocked all the websites that have his profile on, so I never have to see them again!

Thanks again!

but even knowing myspace is there... aren't you ever tempted to look?

Temptation is always there. My ex is still on my contact list on a networking site similar to MySpace. Actually, I stupidly re-invited her after deleting her. She checks all my posts, I check nothing she posts. Here is my philosophy:

The ex's web posts or views of your site are similar to a vodka shot being placed in front of a recovering alcoholic. If you can look at it, resist it, and walk away from it w/o feeling, then you've conquered that "poisoning" aspect of your life.

Not easy at first, but eventually you really don't care. Once you don't care, their views are as meaningful as views by your average John or Jane Doe. In short, they're not.

I had to deal with the MySpace thing. I have never posted anything on my page about him. When we broke up I removed him immediately and all traces of him. I made sure none of my friends posted comments in regards to him etc.

I have his site and his ex's site blocked as to this day she still posts stuff "just for my benefit".

Thanks for the tips for everyone else though.

The ex's web posts or views of your site are similar to a vodka shot being placed in front of a recovering alcoholic. If you can look at it, resist it, and walk away from it w/o feeling, then you've conquered that "poisoning" aspect of your life.

Do you mean resist it as in never looking at the page even thought you know it's there... or you that you look/read your ex's page/post and still walk away w/o feeling?

That's a really great analogy... thanks for posting it and kudos to you for being so strong! I will be really good with not looking for awhile then get caught in the trap, but I'm determined not to look again.

Oh and by the way, how do you know your ex reads all your posts? Does she comment?

Do you mean resist it as in never looking at the page even thought you know it's there... or you that you look/read your ex's page/post and still walk away w/o feeling?

I guess resist in the sense of not looking at all. I'll only be able to look at her stuff once I've forgotten her & she truly means nothing to me. Based on past experiences, that's usually a long time coming - this one especially so given that she's the first one where "marriage someday" even crossed my mind.

I'd also venture to say that when a person reaches a point where they can look and not feel anything, then there really is no point in looking in the first place.

I still have no clue why that heartless b***h looks at my stuff. Could be mindless "clicking" where she looks at everything regardless of who posted. Could be she still has feelings. Could be she just wants to tourtre me. Who knows.

She essentially told me she didn't want me in her life - the "not ready for committment" line - but she looks at my postings. If she doesn't want to "see" me, then stop "seeing" me!!! It's very frustrating to know she's still connected to my life, but not vice versa. Ultimately, however, I think it's better to be able to reach a point where you can handle it rather than hide from it.

That's a really great analogy... thanks for posting it and kudos to you for being so strong! I will be really good with not looking for awhile then get caught in the trap, but I'm determined not to look again.

I'm hardly strong, but I'm trying. Thanks.

Oh and by the way, how do you know your ex reads all your posts? Does she comment?

The site is called "Multiply" - like MySpace but you have the ability to place tighter restrictions on your posts (ie. the whole internet can't see it) and it provides a listing of who looked @ what and how long ago.

My posts are typically restricted to "contacts only." She's a contact because I re-invited her, like an idiot, after she sent post-dumping birthday greetings. I could cut off her access by deleting her again, but that would just show her that it bothers me and would only be a momentary satisfaction for me. It also just seems petty & I think I'm better than that. True it makes it harder to "forget," but on the otherhand it seems to force the process of "not caring."

im glad that someone finally wrote a post about myspace.....my ex has a myspace that i made for him while we were going out...and he still has it. i proabbly look at it every day and cant help it wutsoever...im so curious to see wut hes up too and as much as it hurts...i try to see wut his gf has to say to him.....it keeps reminding me that hes moved on and that im not in his life...i wish i could stop torturing myself and just stop cold turkey at looking at his page...but its right there on my page.....hes on my friends list and i cant help but click on it.....

i wish i had more willpower

but its right there on my page.....hes on my friends list and i cant help but click on it.....

When you want to click on it, force yourself to click on something else instead. Sure - easier said than done, but look at it this way - Not clicking is completely separate from the "desire" to click. "Not clicking" is totally within YOUR control.

You'll gain strength to battle the "desire" with each succesive time you stop the "act of clicking" by tell yourself "NO - not gonna do it."

I'm a graphic designer.. so I have multiple webpages of my own. I have a myspace page... and my own personal blog (not associated with myspace). I am also on friendster (although I don't really use it).

My ex has no online presense. None. I created a website for her cabbage patch doll (she had a weird obsession with it...check out link removed and you'll see what I mean). She used to put posts on there AS the doll... and she used to have a friendster account. When she dumped me she stopped posting on link removed and also deleted her friendster account.

Now while I know I "shouldn't" look for information about her.. I feel sometimes like I want to see. Sometimes I want to see if she's having a bad time because maybe that would make me feel good (evil I know) and other times I just want to know she still exists. Or maybe just to see some post about the fact that the breakup AFFECTED her - because she played it off to me (in the VERY limited contact we had) like she was elated that she'd never see me again. Since All I have is digital photos of her (I threw away the rest) and I won't look at them... I'm left with this feeling that for two years I had an imaginary girlfriend. This is the first time I've let someone become such an important part of my life...and then not heard any information about them what-so-ever afterwards. No mutual friends to "hear it through the grapevine" from or anything like that. It is very weird to just pretend that someone doesn't exist... very weird.

As I mentioned before - most aspects of my life are easily accessable to her because she can go to my websites. THAT I don't like - the fact that she can keep tabs on how depressed I am and sit over there and snicker and laugh at me while I have no idea what's going on with her.

As I mentioned before - most aspects of my life are easily accessable to her because she can go to my websites. THAT I don't like - the fact that she can keep tabs on how depressed I am and sit over there and snicker and laugh at me while I have no idea what's going on with her.

Realize you do have some control over the situation. She can ONLY see what YOU post. DON'T post anything that let's her clue in to how "depressed" you may be. Let her only see the "happy" side of whatever you're doing - and we all know there is a happy side to alot of the stuff we do even if it's small.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm actually glad there's a myspace available for people because when my boyfriend dumped me at the end of spring semester...he simply told me that he "didn't feel the same way anymore". I suggested to him to take a break from the relationship during the summer to see if he really wants this..and he just kept saying "I don't know". Well, I was devastated but I said some sweet last goodbye words and I told him how he's such a good person, etc...

3 weeks into the break up, I was hellbent on finding something that would somehow give me info on him because I knew something was wrong and that he was leaving me for a reason more than what he told me. And after those 3 weeks, I finally DID find something. I found a myspace page that he had made right after breaking up with me and I found messages that he had been sending to his best friend's sister. (It's funny because he always used to say myspace was stupid). They were going out. He had been cheating on me with her for pretty long and I guess had been planning to dump me at the end of spring semester after he sucked out the last drops of blood that I had in me.

Here's why this helped me....I thought that he was just going through a bad time and needed some time off..so I wasn't healing for those 3 weeks...I was simply waiting and crying everyday and hoping that he would contact me. Once I found that on myspace, I immediately realized that all of those gut feelings had been correct and that he totally wasn't the person I thought he was and that he was some type of compulsive, manipulative liar.

I haven't checked his myspace since then and I plan on never checking it. I'll admit I have wanted to but it really is self control. I'm almost afraid to check it because I know I'll end up getting hurt and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it. So I just stay away.