Hey guys,

When it comes to weightlifting im fine, i can get fired up enough by putting 315 on the bench of 450 on the squat rack just fine. Although music would sort of help when im trying to break old barriers and get new weight my real problem lies in running.

I am 6'7 245 pounds, im only 10% body fat so running isn't really NECESSARY but i will be playing college football next year and the coaches have told me that i must start running or I will die come August. On an ominous note i keep thinking of that Florida State player who died doing off-season conditioning, turns out he had a heart condition that nobody knew about, not even his doctors, until Bobby Bowden's work out helped him "discover" it.

So i try to run without music or anything and wow...i hate it...i hate it so much, so the easy answer to my problem is an Ipod. But being a guy i don't want one of those dinky nano ones that only hold 4 gigs and are built for work outs...oh no...i want that beastly 60 gig video ipod with room for 17,500 songs and a bajillion hours of video. Problem is i don't know how well it will stand up to being run with...does anybody use them to run with? If so what problems have you had?

So i try to run without music or anything and wow...i hate it...i hate it so much, so the easy answer to my problem is an Ipod. But being a guy i don't want one of those dinky nano ones that only hold 4 gigs and are built for work outs...oh no...i want that beastly 60 gig video ipod with room for 17,500 songs and a bajillion hours of video. Problem is i don't know how well it will stand up to being run with...does anybody use them to run with? If so what problems have you had?

Man we think the same way, and I hate to break it to you, I broke an IPod doing this. Basically the guy at Apple told me the traditional Ipods have movable parts, and are not made to be run with, it's no different than running with a computer in your hands.

Had to breakdown and get the Shuffle to supplement my real Ipod, which I agree looks ridiculous in my hands but it's better than busting another one.

Hi Writer, I run everyday with a mini-ipod, I bought last year, it holds 4 gigs and has a running clip so it is perfect for running. It is light which is important. I have tried running with my husband's ipod, he has a regular U2 edition one and it was too bulky.

I know that they don't make either of those anymore so I would say the nano, (the lighter and smaller one) is better for running.

I used to run with my 20 gig ipod last year. The only problem with my ipod that I had was it would sometimes slip off my arm (in those arm band holders) and I'd have to move it up. The earphones connection would sometimes come out, but I think having better quality earphones would fix this problem.

I say just try it out and see how you like it. I kind of miss running and using my ipod, but i just hate running.

I work out with the shuffle and it is awesome. They are so cheap that you should buy one just for running. You can create all kinds of play lists so you don't have to worry about not having enough songs. I store all of my music on my computer and then just download whatever playlist I want to listen to. You can't go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

for the gym, you are better off getting a flash player (like the ipod shuffle) rather than a hard drive based player. they just aren't made for the constant jostling/impact. flash players don't have the moving parts to worry about.

i highly recommend the sansa sandisk. it's taken a lot of crap from me at the gym and keeps going. they're also really inexpensive and come with great freebie coupons out of the box.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also get one from another brand (There are hundreds of them) that look a little less dinky. San Disk brand ones tend to be very cheap, decent build quality, and the nice thing is that for the same price as a Shuffle, or sometimes cheaper, they come with a screen. You can buy one with only 256mb of storage, to hold about 100 songs, and buy a real iPod to take with you elsewhere, and hold your entire library.

I am an avid runner, I like to run 5 miles a day at a fast pace (about 35 minutes for 5 miles). I broke my video ipod after 4 months due to running. Apple gave me a new one, but I bought a shuffle for running and use the other for biking/weight training/rollerblading/the car/home/etc. I didn't want to, but I didn't want to run the risk of breaking my video ipod again AFTER the warranty ran out.

If people tell you that you can run with it, they must not run very intensely.

I have an ipod sports armband, so it's attached to me and as stable as possible when running.

I think the new video ipods are more sensitive to breakage than the older ones. Probably something about the video component, I've only heard people talking about the video ones breaking from running.

I have a shuffle, I use it for running and for mountain biking/races. I don't use it when riding on the road though for fairly obvious reasons, fortunately most of my running & riding is on trails.

I find it really helps motivate me, especially on those 5:30 am runs when the rest of the world seems to still be in bed!