Help With Humor

i dno bout this one, its kind of hard, i dont know if its something you can teach its kind of something you have. it depends on where the conversation goes. a couple of things i can tell you though are

1) if not many people laugh its ok, it happens i usually cover it with the line 'can i at least get a pitty laugh?'

2)delivery is very important, sometimes its not what you say but how you say it, dont go talk like a clown or anything but you need to change your tone, i cant explain how but if you look at someone who says somethin funny they do it

3)Another thing ive found is appropriation, when i have the chance i watch stand up comedians and i use some of their jokes in the conversation, obviously it has to relate to the topic of conversation but it at least gives you some direction

finally reputation always helps, once you build a reputation people will laugh just because its you, dont ask me why but they do

hope this has helped

Hmmmm. I'm a strong believer in people just being themselves. The reason I say this, is because it doesn't make any sense to step out of character trying to be funny. People are not stupid and can pick up on your attempts - I'm sure that you may get a few laughs here and there, but they may be more AT you than WITH you.

All I'm saying, is that the minute that people pick up the vibe that you're trying to be funny, they're going to know it and judge you for it. Not everyone is meant to be funny.

I think that as long as you can laugh with people, at yourself, and remember not to take yourself too seriously, that people are going to naturally want to be around you. It's comforting to be around people who are easy-going and relaxed; trying too hard to get laughs will usually turn people off.

I don't think you can train yourself in everyday situations "to be funny". I agree with OceanEyes that you just need to be yourself. If you are trying too hard, or scripting it- people will know.

Some of the funniest people I know just have a knack for being quick-witted and coming up with something humorous to say in response to an event that just happens. It's not something they script. It's all improvisation.

BellaDonna

I don't think you can train yourself in everyday situations "to be funny". I agree with OceanEyes that you just need to be yourself. If you are trying too hard, or scripting it- people will know.

Some of the funniest people I know just have a knack for being quick-witted and coming up with something humorous to say in response to an event that just happens. It's not something they script. It's all improvisation.

BellaDonna

I whole heartedly disagree.

There is nothing you can't change in your mind.

You can become quick witted and good at improvisation. You just have to "learn" it per se. Don't ask me how to do that, but I feel that nothing is impossible.

I think its true that being yourself is important, and when it comes to being throwing in a quick witted jab I don’t think it is going to change much. However I was once a shy person and, because of this not much of what I said was of all that much humour. I have come a long way now and have become very open, can talk with anyone and by chance I think have developed a very quick wit. Once you have it, it comes naturally and it is being yourself.

when you talk to your friend, look for double meanings etc. and think how you could twist and turn your friend's words to make something funny out of it. First just think, don't necessarily have to say anything. When you start feeling that your ideas are getting pretty good, and that you find the ideas quick, just start saying them. Believe in yourself when you say them - they are good, so you just have to speak confidently and everyone else will see how good they are.

when you talk to your friend, look for double meanings etc. and think how you could twist and turn your friend's words to make something funny out of it. First just think, don't necessarily have to say anything. When you start feeling that your ideas are getting pretty good, and that you find the ideas quick, just start saying them. Believe in yourself when you say them - they are good, so you just have to speak confidently and everyone else will see how good they are.

Ya I would say taht helps a lot

Who want's to come over for some coffee

thx for all these replies ill try to work on twisting peoples words to make things funny.. i know some people said i should just be myself and laugh at myself and laugh at other peoples humor etc. etc. but i think being the reason that person is laughing is more rewarding

but if im seeing things wrong please feel free to correct me

My advice is to be observant. Take an improv class or watch one. Watch the comedy channel or stand-up comic shows.

Ya know how they say if you want to be a good writer you should read? Same principle applies. But be careful. If you don't have it, it can seem too forced.

It comes down to guts sometimes, surely when others have said or done something and you get that little voice in your mind saying to yourself something funny but hold back as your not sure it will come out as appropriate or funny?. You have to ignore that feeling and just jump in and say it anyway.

My advice is to be observant. Take an improv class or watch one. Watch the comedy channel or stand-up comic shows.

Ya know how they say if you want to be a good writer you should read? Same principle applies. But be careful. If you don't have it, it can seem too forced.

Yup.

Yeah I disagree that you cant learn to be funny. Thats just nonsense. There are some basic principles that you can learn at an improv class, which is a great idea. I myself am planning on taking one as soon as I can find a joint that offers them.

There is no one way to be funny, and thats the beauty of humour. Sometimes it can be a simple as one word you use, the tone of your voice, etc. The one thing that all funny things have in common.................shock and usually mixed with anticpation but not always. Humour invovles saying or doing something that doesnt quite fit the context. It requires people to stop stop for a micro second and think. It stops the logical flow of events.

Take a class or get some really funny friends.

People are not stupid and can pick up on your attempts - I'm sure that you may get a few laughs here and there, but they may be more AT you than WITH you.

Lol, you're cool.

Now to address the actual question here. What makes YOU laugh? Joke about that and it will be more natural because YOU'LL believe yourself and that's what matters. Write down some stuff to save for a day when the oppertunity presents itself. Think of different places, different things where you can dipict humor from and use it. You may even begin to see it naturally. It's good to express humor. Just don't do it for the wrong reasons.

I'm not the most highly qualified person to give help with humour, 'cause I'm looking for tips here too!

Some of my observations though on my quest to add more hahas:

*When I'm relaxed, people seem to find me funnier. Happiness seems to make people laugh even if you're not trying.

*I find it funny when people do something you wouldn't expect - out of character - or silly. I kind of like goofy humour.

I saw this comedien on Conan who cracked me up. He was talking about aging (he's 63) and was saying all the things that others are 'too polite' to talk about - it was like relief laughter and hilarious the way he acted.

I like being able to relate somehow or to see 'how true. how is it that I didn't see that or say that before?'.

anyhoo....

Personally, I tend to make fun of awkward silences, and in general be goofy.

If it goes silent I start doing the murderer stare. They'll usually say something, and I'll say, "Well you weren't saying anything, so I was trying to read your mind!"

I usually find the most outrageous people are the funniest, and that's because they don't hold much back. They just say whatever comes to their mind without taking 5 minutes to think about how it's going to sound.

I usually get the most laughs when I blurt out what comes to my mind. There have been times that I've regretted it, but not many and not all that bad.

I find that how funny you are also depends highly on the people you're around. Some people just won't have the same sense of humour as you. You know, like the difference between Monty Python and Dave Chappelle.

Things vary from person to person. People have differents senses of humor. So what some find funny, others might not. I can already think of this kid who's a total nerd, and everything "funny" he does is unoriginal and ends up being dorky. But most of the "smart" ("smart" being those who put effort into their study taking tough classes... I say "smart" because they don't necessarily have to be smarter than others, okay? Lol, they might just be "studyful"? lol) people find him hilarious! I personally don't... There's this other kid who is actually funny most of the time (most of ALL people find him funny, including myself), but he comes off as dorky as well, many times. People still find him funny! So, just don't be afraid of showing YOUR OWN sense of humor. I used to not show mine AT ALL in school, but I did at home all the time. Then I started doing it in school too, and people found me funny too (and believe me, I can tell when they're laughing WITH me vs. laughing AT me). So, don't be afraid to show yours anytime. Good luck.

I usually find the most outrageous people are the funniest, and that's because they don't hold much back. They just say whatever comes to their mind without taking 5 minutes to think about how it's going to sound.

I usually get the most laughs when I blurt out what comes to my mind. There have been times that I've regretted it, but not many and not all that bad.

I find that how funny you are also depends highly on the people you're around. Some people just won't have the same sense of humour as you. You know, like the difference between Monty Python and Dave Chappelle.

Oh, I hadn't read this post before... In which case now I completely agree with it.