Hi everyone. I am attempting to lose 10-15 pounds by July hopefully. I was wondering, what exercises are actually necessary for weight loss? I enjoy running, but I really couldnt care less to do ab exercises, weight training, etc. If I change my diet and consistantly run 1-2 miles a day (or long enough to atleast get my heart rate up for 30 min), I will eventually lose weight... right? (Btw, I am female, 19 years old, 5'2 140... I could lose a little weight but I dont believe Im "fat")

If you enjoy running, then do that. If you consume less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. But nobody really bothers to count calories they eat, just go running 1-2 miles a day, 4-5 days a week, for a few weeks and see what results you get... and adjust accordingly.

Hi there,

Cardio exercises is a wonderful way to burn a ton of calories. Running, aerobics, bikes, eliptical machines, you name it.

Also, I know you mentioned weight training is not your cup of tea however, building muscle with aid in burning calories faster. Muscle burns calories like crazy. So, instead of doing hard-core weights, you might want to do some simples exercises with like 3, 5, 8 pound dumbells. Like bicep curls, tri-kick backs, chest presses, etc. But if you want to be more toned instead of muscular, use lighter weights, more reps. Like 10-12 reps, 3 sets. Look through some fitness magazines at the book-store...many of them feature simple weight exercises one can do at home with lighter weights or even none at all.

As the other poster pointed out, the key of losing weight, you have to burn more calories than you take in. So, working hard at the gym and then coming home and chowing down on pizza is not the way to go. Eating healthier foods such as proteins, un-processed carbohydrates such as fruits and some veggies are good. Get lots of dairy and fiber as well. Also, water helps as well. Water keeps you hydrated and believe it or not, aids in buring calories. People often mistake thirst for hunger as people are often dehydrated.

And one last important point to make. Your goal is very realistic. 10-15 pounds by July is very do-able. You will lose a lot of weight quickly in the beginning because it is water weight. Then it will slow down. That is perfectly normal. The healthy rate of weight loss is .5-2 pounds a week. Good luck on your weight loss jounrey.

Oh one more thing...you also mentioned you are not into ab exercises...

Let me tell you what I did and you might change your mind. Every morning I would do a 100 crunches. 50 in one set, rest, then do another 50. I did that for a month and my word...what a difference!! I continued to do it and my waist is tinier than ever, I went down a jean size and can even see definition in my tummy. I wore my two piece proudly last summer. Also, when your abs are toned and tight, your posture improves dramatically. You do not have to do anything fancy, just 100 crunches and side crunches (for the external obliques) in the morning while you watch TV. I guarentee, you will see results in 4 weeks.

P.S. while doing ab exercises, proper breathing is very important. Inhale as you go down and exhale when you go up. Also, try not to put too much strain on your neck. You should be able to put an orange between your neck and chest if your posture is correct. Elbows should be facing the ceiling. And the closer you draw your knees to your body, the less challange you put on your abs. You might want to start off that way and as you get better and stronger, stretch your legs out a little further and further.

Aerobic excercise is good for you, but definetely cut back on your calorie intake. 3500 calories equal a pound...

It really depends on how much effort and dedication you're willing to put in.

Once a week isn't going to do it. You need to commit to at least 3-4 days a week in order to see real changes.

I am also not into ab work..but I do it after my weight training 3 times a week. I try to do 4 sets of 25 at a time, and that's really all you need. Doing a combination of cardio and ab work should do the trick....

Good luck and let us know how your progress is going!!!

Hi everyone. I am attempting to lose 10-15 pounds by July hopefully. I was wondering, what exercises are actually necessary for weight loss? I enjoy running, but I really couldnt care less to do ab exercises, weight training, etc. If I change my diet and consistantly run 1-2 miles a day (or long enough to atleast get my heart rate up for 30 min), I will eventually lose weight... right? (Btw, I am female, 19 years old, 5'2 140... I could lose a little weight but I dont believe Im "fat")

Well, weight training is good as it adds muscle, which burns more calories, which burns more fat. It also prevents osteoporosis by building bone density AND makes you a better runner as you have more power.

You really also should do core stuff - as it increases muscle tone and strenght, and prevents a lot of injuries. Things like yoga and pilates also lengthen you and develope muscle tone.

Variety is important as it keeps you enjoying what you are doing, and when you enjoy it, you are more likely to do it!

I think you are going to need to run more then 1-2 miles though eventually. 1 mile burns about 100 calories. And really you should be aiming for a 500 calorie deficit a day (to lose 1 lb a week) which you can combine with cutting 250 calories from your diet, and adding 250 calories burned off exercise. So, running about 2.5 miles is good. Maybe less if you live in a very hilly area. The less you weigh though, the less you burn as you need less to move. Of course, if you are just starting running you need to work your way up to that. Don't go out doing it right away if you are still new. Even try a run-walk program, or join a 'learn to run' club that can get you motivated and teach you some great ways to really develop your endurance and fitness. Also, mix it up - go swim a few laps, ride your bike a few miles. It's good mentally AND physically as your body does not get 'bored' and used to the exercise (so burns less).

It is also important to pay attention to what food you are putting IN your body. Diet is so important. Eat healthy - limit processed foods and sugars, and stick to lean meats, veggies, fruit, low fat dairy, complex carbs (ie whole grains), and so forth. Make sure you eat enough to not go into starvation mode (where you hold onto fat) and to keep your body burning. Eat 5-6 small meals instead of 3 big ones to keep metabolism revved. You should probably be getting at your age at least 1800-2000 cals a day, but adjust for body weight and exercise. I for example am 5'4"/120 lbs but due to my training can eat 2000-2500 cals most days for average training, and during VERY heavy training days (ie if I am riding the bike for several hours in a day) more like 3-4,000 and not gain an ounce as I need it to replenish my body's engine basically. Of course if you are NOT doing heavy training, eating that much will have you gaining a few pounds in a week!

well running is good, helps me also, apart from that i also do loads of walking, i have also found yoga to be very relaxing offlate although i don't know whether it contributes to weight loss.

Actually a recent study that followed people doing yoga over a few years found that those whom did lost a little, but more so gained a lot less (about 10 lbs on average less) then those whom didn't.

It's not because you BURN a lot of calories (they studied hatha yoga which is slower and gentler), but it's because of the other benefits.

I have been doing power yoga for 5 years now, and it really teaches an awareness of your body, and those whom do it tend to be more in touch with their hunger signals for example. Perhaps they also take more cautiousness in what they put IN their bodies.

It has also shown in studies to really boost self esteem/body confidence. Maybe because you learn to appreciate what your body can really DO.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I doubt anyone will be doing a follow up on this, lol, but someone asked me to let them know how its going.

For 3 weeks I have been running. I also have gotten into kick boxing, jumping rope, pilates and very light weight training. I have lost 5 pounds so far, only 10 more to go