guy has question about "the pill"

yelrac1987

okay, well i just found out the other day that my girlfriend takes birth control pills. I think we may have sex sometime relatively soon, so i'm wondering if i definitely should use a condom along with her taking the pills, or what. I mean, what's the statistic on how effective pills are? As far as std's go, i have nothing to worry about, so my only concern is pregnancy. Could anybody help me?

Thanks

its going to depend on how long she has been taking them. from what i understand they take about a good 3 months to start working. Condoms are always a good thing, especially if you dont know her past and what not. But better safe than sorry. I'm all for unprotected sex, when

A) Shes on the pill and you KNOW shes current

B) You have been in a relationship for a long time and yo uknow each others past

C) you both are prepared for what may happen. Birth Control is 99.9%. There is still that .1% chance. If anything happens, make sure there is a game plan. I dont know many peoples views on abortion.

Good luck, be safe

-lp

Hi Yelrac,

Most producers of the pill recommend that you use additional contraception such as a condom during the first month that she's on the pill, after that the pill is one of the safest methods of contraception available, as long as it's taken right. These guys (the drug companies) don't want to get sued, so I think you can trust their information to be reliable. Find out which pill she's on and have a look at the product information on the website for it to be sure. This will also tell you how effective the pill is when used correctly - usually 99% upwards.

The pill is the safest if taken every day at the same time. If your girlfriend has a stomach upset and throws up or has diahorrea (sp?) the pill may leave her body before it has taken effect, and in that case you should use a condom until after her next period, when she starts on a new strip. If you had sex shortly before she got sick, it might be wise to consult with her doctor, and he might advise a morning after pill: sperm can stay alive in a woman's body for a couple of days, so she could (though that chance is quite small) get pregnant from having sex prior to getting sick.

Also, check whether she isn't on any other medication, as some medicines can affect the contraceptive pill. Antibiotics often counteract the pill, and St. John's Wort (a herbal antidepressant) has also been shown to lower the effectiveness of the pill - if she's on any other medication at all, check with the doctor whether this will influence the pill.

Finally, you say you don't have to worry about std's, but unless both of you are virgins you can never be 100% sure. If either of you have ever been sexually active before, it is wise to get checked out before you start having unprotected sex.

Have fun!

Well, the pill is a good birth control method, however, NO method is 100%.

When taken absolutely correctly (ie in a labratory and monitored) it is about 99% effective.

In "real life" use, meaning sometimes missing it at the right time, or when dealing with factors like illnesses, medications, and every woman's own unique body chemistry, it is more like 95% effective. And that decreases if she is not very accurate on taking it.

Now 5% does not seem like a huge failure rate - but it sure is if you end up in that 5%! I know 4 or 5 women who have gotten pregnant on the pill, even taking it properly.

Now, I only use the pill but I am in a long term monogomous relationship, we have both been tested for STI's and we are also in a position where if it WERE to fail, we would be able to cope together with a pregnancy.

If you are going to place all control for birth control in her hands, even knowing that there is a failure rate, you must be SURE you can trust your girlfriend 100%, to even get that 95% effectiveness.

I think though the best option would be to also use condoms in addition to the pill - with two methods your effectiveness is much much better as there is that backup in case one fails and it puts responsibility for birth control in BOTH your hands.