need of insights

Hi everyone

I am new to this forum. My ex just sent me an email after 2 years of NC. We were much in love. I was her first love, boyfriend, lover and every thing. She was young and confused(23), and she ended up breaking up with me. We tried to stay friends, but it never worked. I still think about her and could not get over her, and here what she said in the email:

Hi xxx,

I was curious to find out what you are up to. How is every thing going? Did you end up going to the school you planned to go to?

best,

yyyy

I answered with an email telling her what I have been up to. Then I asked her if I could call her because email is a terrible way of communication. She said it would be best if I do not call. I am a bit confused, and do not understand why she contacted me in the first place. She is very shy, so if I ask her she may just run away...

Any thoughts? Any suggestions to how I should go from here?

I actually just e-mailed and ex I had broken up with about three years ago. We too had tried to be friends but it didn't work out. The e-mail I wrote to him was very similar in nature. I didn't write it because I am interested in getting back with him but I did write it because he popped into my head and I was wondering how he was doing. Though if he had wanted to call and talk or become friends I would have been open to it.. But like you said, this girl is shy or maybe she's afraid that you misinterpreted what she wrote.