saying "I Love You"

Hey guys, I've posted almost a month ago about a male friend of mine. He's a really cool guy and we get along great. Well, today he jokingly said "I love you". I know it was a joke, but can't help but wonder if the flirting he was doing with me before is back again. Would a guy tell a girl "I love you" in a joke if he didn't have feelings for her? I'm not sure how to approach.

I think if someone says it lightly and playfully, then it has a "friendly" love connotation, like "I love being around you", not directly "I deeply love you as a person". A lot can be done not by WHAT you say but how you say it.

Just my $.02.

I was telling him when I worked in the medical field, I would get too emotionally attached to patients and sometimes they would not recover. He smiled and jumped in and said "I love you". I laughed and said "well not THAT attached". The conversation was a bit of a downer from there.

it really depends on the person because i personally think the words i love you mean too much to be used around loosely but others use them like its nothing..so its almost impossible to know..because he might have been too shy to say it normally or he truly could have just been kidding..but i personally think he was just kidding around

Yeah there is a whole story behind this. A few weeks ago the same guy said to me that he wished I was available. Then, there was some odd tension between us after he said it. More recently, he's been his old self again and we're talking and laughing. I was just trying to get an idea if he's starting to flirt again.

Well, today he jokingly said "I love you". I know it was a joke, but can't help but wonder if the flirting he was doing with me before is back again. Would a guy tell a girl "I love you" in a joke if he didn't have feelings for her?

Are you sure he was joking? Could he have been nervous, but really serious, and you took his seriousness as a joke? That could be really tough on him. Ouch.

A few weeks ago the same guy said to me that he wished I was available.

Well, it's possible that's he's tried more than once to tell you something that you're dismissing.

If yours is the kind of relationship where you could ask for sincere clarity about what he meant, that might be a good way to clear things up.