random question about appendix

hi thanks for the time, i have recentally had my appendix out(sorry if i spelt it wrong). And was wondering what it lookes like?, i have searched google images and cannot find anything any sujjestions.

Sorry if this is unappropriate for this type of forum thanks Adam

I had mine out at 16- and waiting for the surgery was the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. Many have said it's worse than childbirth. Morphine didn't even help. Mine was at the point of bursting... It felt like such a relief when I woke up and it was out. After researching it later- it's no surprise it hurt so much....in it's normal state The appendix is a closed-ended, narrow tube that attaches to the first part of your colon. It looks like a little worm, smaller than the size of a finger. When it swells with infection/pus- it can reach the size of a plum....

See this page: link removed

If you type in appendicitis in a Google image search you can get real pics- instead of an anatomical chart......but I thought those pics might be too gross for the forum.

BellaDonna

Yeah...as far as physicians/scientists can tell- there is no use for the appendix at all. They'll usually take them out if they are doing another surgery in that area or even during c-sections, just to prevent a person from having to get them out later. I'm so glad mine is gone- I would NEVER want that pain again....

BellaDonna

I don't think that the appendix is completely unnecessary... there is some evidence that it may have some function in the immune system. I mean, yes, you can live without it... but it may be doing some good.

As for what it looks like.... here is an article on it and some drawings. Go to google images to find more....

link removed faqs/vestiges/appendix.html

I don't think there are annie.

In animals; rabbits for example. The appendix is used to store food which is then excreted and has to be eaten again to get the nutrients out of it.

In humans, we can digest the nutrients without having to use the appendix.

It probably had a purpose in the past- but we've evolved to a point where we no longer "need", it and now it's a nuisance.

Same goes for tonsils, wisdom teeth, etc.

I've been prone to the wrath of useless vestigal organs since I was born- tonsils out at age 4 after severe, recurring tonsilitis- appendix out at 16...near bursting, impacted wisdom teeth out at 18 due to headaches and jaw problems. I'm glad I don't have any of those things anymore- I've been much healthier since they're gone.

Darkblue - I've taken a year of immunology classes. It's in my immunology text books that the tonsils and the appendix are secondary lymphoid organs.

In people like belladonna, they seem to cause more problems than they solve, but for the rest of us, no need to mess around with them if they are fine.

link removed

Kuby Immunology, chapter 2, 4ed, has a list of the organs of the immune system. Here is a link to their online content:

link removed

ah, I didn't read the first article very carefully, but I do have a lot of faith in Kuby's Immunology text book.....

ok, now I just read the first article thouroughly.... yes, they have a point about all those foods, at least most of them... but what are you going to do? You have to eat, like you said.... Not eating will probably cause death faster

Hi thanks, for all your replys. I dint know really if it should of been in this forum, but its the closest (since it is to do with the body).

But any way thanks for all your input and appreciate the links and artcles Adam