my family left for vacation and im sad?

hello, so yesterday my siblings and parents decided to pack up their stuff and head to california for the rest of the week. without me.  i am pretty sad about it and have cried. i definitely feel left out. they left me to watch the dogs. they didn't want me to come with them. and it's ridiculous cause i'm the oldest sibling but they don't care. i also don't have friends so i'm pretty lonely.  any tips on how to overcome this sadness?  thanks. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, sarafollows said:

hello, so yesterday my siblings and parents decided to pack up their stuff and head to california for the rest of the week. without me.  i am pretty sad about it and have cried. i definitely feel left out. they left me to watch the dogs. they didn't want me to come with them. and it's ridiculous cause i'm the oldest sibling but they don't care. i also don't have friends so i'm pretty lonely.  any tips on how to overcome this sadness?  thanks. 

Yes, embrace your time alone and do everything you enjoy but don't usually have the time to do.  This can be an awesome time for you.  It's only a few days right? Not a couple of months.  You're 24/25, so an adult. Go hiking, jogging, cycle, gym etc etc.

I was once on my own for 3 weeks (but much younger than you) for Christmas, New Year and my birthday. I viewed it as my own little vacation.

• Like 2

As someone who has gradually seen their family stop bothering to consider them, I understand how much it hurts. I'm guessing it's not even like you would like a lot, just a sign that they think of you now and then? So first thing is to realize your feelings are valid and understandable.

Second thing is to stop thinking of them, and think of you. If they want to be on their own, let them. They will be missing out on all the awesome fun you would have brought along with you. Meanwhile, you can have a blast doing all the things you love but might not get the chance to do while focused on family tasks. Whatever it is, do it. Want to see that movie everyone else isn't interested in but you are? See it. Order your favorite food. Go to a show. Take a hike. Try a new craft. Go shopping. Try a new game. Whatever makes you happy. 

I'm rarely saddened by time to myself because that means more time for what makes me feel good, while less time feeling obligated to fit in and please someone else. If anything, I think more people could benefit from some alone time.

• Like 1

Has this ever happened before?  It seems odd to me that a family would go on vacation without a family member. 

For now take care of the dogs.  Start making lists.  Think about what you want out of life & how you will go about achieving those goals.   Take some action steps to make friends to ease your loneliness.  

Point is don't wallow.  If you are unhappy with your situation, change it. 

When your family returns tell them how much their behavior hurt your feelings.