Potential fraud by flatmate?

Our flatmate is a 32 year old woman and is manipulating the visa system to gain a work visa. She did her MA and got the graduate route in 2022. Since then she has has held the role of Chinese teacher, and steward on a 0 hour contract. After that she worked full time for one of the museums as a visitor assistant. 

However she was constantly applying for jobs in companies and was buying tests and question and answer packages from China (she's chinese) for KPMG etc to pass their tests. However, she never passed the interviews because her spoken English is quite poor and once she failed the tests as the test questions were different than what she received in the test package.

She left for China on November 2022 and returned in early February 2023 and quickly started dating a white guy. Since then she's acted in very shady ways. She never applied for any jobs but was using WeChat to get jobs in Chinese companies in London. She told me she got a job in March 23 as an educational consultant at a Chinese student agency through WeChat, hoping they will provide her with a visa. However by June, the company informed her that they cannot sponsor her because her role does not meet the criteria set by Home Office. 

She quit the job immediately and got in contact with her Chinese friends who provided her with job at a Chinese real estate company by Aug 23 as a sales assistant. She seemed quite happy and was posting on her social media about how she's looking forward to the next chapter in her life. By December 23, she told me how she was promoted to a property sales executive.

I was quite surprised at the swift promotion in just 4 months and she finally revealed that since her graduate visa expires in March 2022, she had contacted her friends who connected her to this company and they assured her that they would promote her from a sales assistant to an executive post just before her visa would expire. Hence, she would be able to secure a work visa through this way 

The company she works for has a limited online presence with low LinkedIn followers, has no job or property listings on their website and has an alert ⚠️ sign before the URL warning users to not enter any information on this site.

She has moved in with the white boyfriend and was joking about how she fooled the immigration authorities and now she can live in the UK.

I was extremely uncomfortable hearing this and now I don't know if I should inform someone or just let it be and let her do what she wants.

Any ideas?

4 minutes ago, GreenEyesss said:

Our flatmate is a 32 year old woman.  She has moved in with the white boyfriend and was joking about how she fooled the immigration authorities and now she can live in the UK.

She is no longer living with you? 

• Like 1

Unless this woman owes you money or has harmed someone in a way that you can prove, I don't understand the issue. Either she meets government requirements, or she does not. If not, then the government won't issue her the permissions.

If you believe that she is in the country illegally, decide whether you can prove that--and if you want to do so. Decide whether you want to take on the ethical burden of harming someone else's life based on a standard of your own choosing.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, GreenEyesss said:

Still but stays mostly either the bf so not with us much

Is she paying rent or on the lease? Consider formalizing her departure by asking her to move out if you feel she is involved in illegal or shady behavior. 

12 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Is she paying rent or on the lease? Consider formalizing her departure by asking her to move out if you feel she is involved in illegal or shady behavior. 

Good question. If you’ve been accepting rent payments from someone you believe is an illegal resident, then you’d implicate yourself by reporting her.

If you have not received money from her but have housed her as an illegal guest, then you may still implicate yourself by reporting her.

A former roommate of mine wasn't in the country illegally but she was working illegally. She only had a student visa and had a note on her social security card that read "Not eligible for work" or something like that.

She also was illegally extending her student visa by enrolling in a full schedule of classes and then dropping a couple of them a few weeks into the semester. That way it would take her longer to graduate and therefore (she hoped) she could stay in the US longer or even permanently. 

I accepted cash payments from her for rent, but I also wasn't supposed to be subletting. Oops. I never reported her. I did see she was back in her home country a year or two after she moved out, so I guess her scheme to stay here permanently didn't work. 

If you feel she is either causing harm or might be putting you in a bad legal position you could report what you know. Although I don't know if you have any concrete evidence other than what she's told you. 

• Like 1

I feel like I didn't 100% understand everything you wrote about the things your roommate was doing and I'm not familiar with some of the organisations you were mentioning. I'm not sure what country you live in and whether it's a multicultural country.

I live in Australia and it's extremely multicultural, especially in the big cities like the one I live in. Here it's very normal for any people to date people of other races or cultures, as long as their culture permits it. There are black dating white, Asian dating white, black and Asian dating, any combination. It's considered very normal here.

If someone came from another country and began dating an Australian, it's not necessarily because they just want a visa or permanent residence. We have a very mixed country and they could have met this person through work, friends, university. They have zero obligations to only date people from their own country or their background. No offence but it's really none of your concern what race your housemate is dating. And even if it's a transactional relationship for a visa, let them worry about it as it has nothing to do with you. People agree to be in a transactional relationship and that's their choice. 

Do you dislike your housemate? If you don't then why do you wish her ill and to snitch on her? Genuine question.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, GreenEyesss said:

She has moved in with the white boyfriend

If she is no longer living with you, then leave it be. 

You don't seem to have all the details about her true legal or employment status, and really, it's none of your business what she does with her relationship. 

Butt out. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, MissCanuck said:

You don't seem to have all the details about her true legal or employment status, and really, it's none of your business what she does with her relationship. 

Butt out. 

I also didn't exactly see anything in the post actually suggesting she was in the country illegally? OP wrote that she had a variety of different jobs. I don't really understand why it's suspicious that she got a promotion after four months. If for example the manager was leaving and they needed someone to fill the role, they gave it to her. Or they were very happy with her work. OP seems to find everything about this housemate suspicious but those things aren't suspicious in and of themselves. Employers usually ask for proof of citizenship or residency so unless she's using fake documents, I'm sure they checked everything before employing her. I don't really see what her dating a white guy has to do with any of this. 

17 minutes ago, Tinydance said:

I also didn't exactly see anything in the post actually suggesting she was in the country illegally? OP wrote that she had a variety of different jobs. I don't really understand why it's suspicious that she got a promotion after four months. If for example the manager was leaving and they needed someone to fill the role, they gave it to her. Or they were very happy with her work. OP seems to find everything about this housemate suspicious but those things aren't suspicious in and of themselves. Employers usually ask for proof of citizenship or residency so unless she's using fake documents, I'm sure they checked everything before employing her. I don't really see what her dating a white guy has to do with any of this. 

Did you read anything at all???

Because you clearly didn't. I wrote very clearly that she told me this herself that she was offered the assistant role with the promise that she would be promoted just before her visa expires so that she can apply for new one 

How hard was it to read?

35 minutes ago, MissCanuck said:

Butt out. 

Written in the post yet didnt even bother reading.

she finally revealed that since her graduate visa expires in March 2022, she had contacted her friends who connected her to this company and they assured her that they would promote her from a sales assistant to an executive post just before her visa would expire. Hence, she would be able to secure a work visa through this way

19 minutes ago, MissCanuck said:

Yes, there seems to be a degree of problem-shopping here, without any actual evidence of wrong-doing. 

Didn't read and came to the post 

3 minutes ago, GreenEyesss said:

Did you read anything at all???

Because you clearly didn't. I wrote very clearly that she told me this herself that she was offered the assistant role with the promise that she would be promoted just before her visa expires so that she can apply for new one 

How hard was it to read?

But so what? Why do you care if she got promoted? It's not illegal to promote someone. How does it affect you and your life? You need to calm down and mind your own life.

Just now, Tinydance said:

But so what? Why do you care if she got promoted? It's not illegal to promote someone. How does it affect you and your life?

She told me she got promoted only because she would get a work visa. 

This is not a genuine vacancy or job but created to get her a visa 

I have been told by my bf and friends who work in legal that this is wrong and our landlord itself has decided to report this to home office

Just now, GreenEyesss said:

She told me she got promoted only because she would get a work visa. 

This is not a genuine vacancy or job but created to get her a visa 

I have been told by my bf and friends who work in legal that this is wrong and our landlord itself has decided to report this to home office

You would first need to prove that she got promoted only for a visa. She actually wasn't a brand new employee there that just started. She was there for four months. You would need to find texts, E-mails, whatever proof you could get to prove this. Promoting someone is not illegal. 

You didn't answer my question, do you hate this roommate? You seem to really want to do something bad to her?

3 minutes ago, MissCanuck said:

I read everything. 

It changes my opnion not one bit. Promotion is not illegal.

Butt out and quit over-involving yourself in something you aren't that informed about. 

My landlord and another roommate will now report her. Promotion to get a visa is illegal. Even the home office has the genuine vacancy requirement.

So quit it

Just now, MissCanuck said:

So?

That doesn't mean your landlord has the proof to make an actual case for immigration fraud. 

You seem very emotionally invested in this issue. Why is that? 

The company has no job or property listings and she has her Instagram post written in Chinese where she has made these statements herself.

I'm not against immigration but against those type of immigrants

4 minutes ago, Tinydance said:

You would first need to prove that she got promoted only for a visa. She actually wasn't a brand new employee there that just started. She was there for four months. You would need to find texts, E-mails, whatever proof you could get to prove this. Promoting someone is not illegal. 

You didn't answer my question, do you hate this roommate? You seem to really want to do something bad to her?

She was there 4 months as an assistant and then suddenly becomes an executive right before visa is supposed to expire. Said this herself 

Clear as day.

I don't like unlawful immigrants 

Just now, GreenEyesss said:

ìPromotion to get a visa is illegal. Even the home office has the genuine vacancy requirement.

You can't prove that, though. That is what you are failing to understand. 

Why did you come here for opinions if you have already decided you are right and people are already reporting this to authorities? It seems like you are wasting your feelings and time on something that isn't really your problem. 

Just now, MissCanuck said:

You can't prove that, though. That is what you are failing to understand. 

Why did you come here for opinions if you have already decided you are right and people are already reporting this to authorities? It seems like you are wasting your feelings and time on something that isn't really your problem. 

Can prove it. Her insta post confirms and she even said she fooled authorities so its not difficult.

Home office can easily see that her vacancy was not genuine.

Yeah now I don't need replies