Why is it the hardest jobs are also the least rewarding?!

In this instance I’m thinking about tonight’s gig as a sound tech. The band were very finicky, wanted unusual things, singers spent the whole show out the front of the Pa which meant compromises, one of them was pretty deaf which meant he wanted his vocals really loud above the rest of the band. Much louder than I would usually mix them. 

If this had been my first gig like this I’d have called it harrowing but I’ve done them before, so I braced myself and tried my best to give them everything they asked for. 

At the end of the night the bazouki player was unhappy because when an extra musician got on stage I took and educated guess and added him to the foldback, too loud it turns out. And one of the singers had gone hoarse. I was hearing the same mix she was and I don’t really understand how she couldn’t hear herself but there must have been something off in the mix that made her feel like she had to strain. That’s bad actually, I don’t want singers coming out the other side of one of my mixes losing their voice because they couldn’t hear themselves above the band.

Possibly both these situations could have been mitigated by more regular checking with the band. They played for a little over 4 hours straight with no break and I must admit I hit the wall about half way through. (But obviously going forward even if I’m tired I’d be served well making it a personal policy to check in with the band as the set progresses. Although I Did interact with the bazouki player a couple of times after adding that drum and he never mentioned it, only that I should turn the master down).

The above preamble brings me to my point. Tonight was really hard work, and it wasn’t success. That’s frustrating and demoralising. Especially when I’ve been doing this going on 17 years now and surely by now I should have learnt enough to iron out the kinks that happened tonight. 

No real question I guess, just howling at the moon. Commiserations and pro tips welcomed. 

Yes it's like that sometimes.  As my wise and insightful mama says "your thank you is your paycheck".  

Parenting is often like that.  It's an extremely hard job and then your child doesn't appreciate the results or the results despite your best efforts are way below expectations.  When I was a teacher of 5-12 year olds it was often like that.  I've always had extremely hard jobs that involved a lot of stress and risks and sleep deprivation so I've always adjusted my expectations accordingly. I do the same when I manage people - I really try so hard to be a manager/supervisor who reinforces the positive stuff, promotes teamwork, etc.

I'm sorry you had such a hard time and it's good you know that you can hit a wall but next time you probably have to -suck it up and keep going unfortunately.  

• Like 1

I often think about it. I got generally easy job in my school. Its mostly administration, but you have to work and solve problems from students to teachers, to principal or even cleaning ladies. Anyway, most hardest job would be a cleaning lady. They have to clean, make coffee for employees etc. Its the least paid and most hardest on paper. But anybody can do that job. While my parents had to put me through school, I had to finish it, and even when I did, to scrap for an opportunity to be there. If the problem occurs, parents wouldnt bother a cleaning lady. They would knock on teachers, mine or even principals door. And we would take the consequences. The ammount you are paid is not determined by difficulty of work. But by importance of positions mostly. 

Anyway, I am not saying you are a cleaning lady, its just my train of thoughts about positions. You are by all means integral part of the show. But you are not a musician(well, you maybe are, just not in this story). At the end of the day, they would take the flack even if the sound was off. When the fans go out of the concert, they would say how band had a bad sound. So it mostly reflects on them, not you. Just something to think about when we talk about "rewards".

Also, dont beat yourself too much. You tried your best even if it wasnt perfect. That is all it matters, it would be better. My late mom loved bazouki. Hope that part of the show was fun at least. 

• Like 1