Should I finish my Senior year online in order pursue my dream?

For background information I'm currently a high school senior as well as a dancer and after high school I plan of going to college part time as well as pursuing a career in dance, choreography etc.

This school year has been horrible for me, the year started off with my school extending the hours (we start an hour earlier and we used to dismiss at 3:00 now we dismiss at 4:45), they ended half days for Senior who had most of their credits, school was cancelled a few times because of threats and because of that football game, pep rallies, dances were all cancelled, then I got extremely sick and was out for 3 weeks which caused me to be sent truancy letters. I have doctors excuses for my absences and have spoke with my teachers but the whole situation has been extremely overwhelming from the beginning. My grades are suffering because of it too which bothers me because l've always done good in school.

Aside from that, with the new school hours I miss a lot of opportunities and training in dance. I expressed how overwhelmed I was to my parents and they suggested I complete my Senior year online in order to focus on myself more and it would give me more time to dance. During the summer I also auditioned for a dance intensive program that prepares you for auditions and gives you exposure but it occurs during school hours (I auditioned before the school announced senior half days wouldn't happen). It's very hard to get into and even getting the audition was difficult, so to be accepted was a dream come true.

One part of me feels like I've been waiting on this opportunity forever but another doesn't want to miss out on my Senior stuff. I would still see my friends but I just don't want to regret not experiencing it in person with everyone else.

Any Advice?

1 hour ago, arjumand said:

Senior year is really more of waiting around for life to start. In your shoes, I would go after dance as you have a very short window for a career as with any type of athletic endeavor. Of course, I am not you. But either way, make sure you graduate. 

Thank you for the advice. The whole situation is very stressful for me so I really appreciate the guidance 💜

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SuperPeachh said:

Thank you for the advice. The whole situation is very stressful for me so I really appreciate the guidance 💜

I agree with the online option and just make a real effort to see your friends. My friend’s daughter ended up leaving high school and getting her GED because she hated school and knew she’d marry her long time boyfriend as an emancipated teen.

At 26 she’s a married mom of 3 and no plans to work outside the home so for now no college or college equivalent. It’s ok to forge your own path ! Especially since you are so talented and as written above there’s a short window to make a go of this. 

GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Batya33 said:

I agree with the online option and just make a real effort to see your friends. My friend’s daughter ended up leaving high school and getting her GED because she hated school and knew she’d marry her long time boyfriend as an emancipated teen.

At 26 she’s a married mom of 3 and no plans to work outside the home so for now no college or college equivalent. It’s ok to forge your own path ! Especially since you are so talented and as written above there’s a short window to make a go of this. 

GOOD LUCK!

1 hour ago, shouldhavelearned said:

Go online and do what you love

Thank you guys for the replies. I’m 90% sure that’s the route I will take, just trying to get over the fear of possible failure I guess lol but thanks for the words of encouragement ❤️

• Like 1
16 hours ago, SuperPeachh said:

I expressed how overwhelmed I was to my parents and they suggested I complete my Senior year online in order to focus on myself more and it would give me more time to dance.

I would totally do this.

16 hours ago, SuperPeachh said:

One part of me feels like I've been waiting on this opportunity forever but another doesn't want to miss out on my Senior stuff. I would still see my friends but I just don't want to regret not experiencing it in person with everyone else.

Just my opinion: "senior stuff" seems like a big deal now, but it's not. Life gets way bigger and more interesting than your childhood and teenage years (if you do it right).

• Like 1

Go online.  Follow your dreams.  I remember my senior year and I didn't feel connected to anyone.  Sure,  I had a few close friends but I wasn't fully invested in high school life in general.  It seems everyone was biding their time and waiting to move onto their adult life.  Senior year was "meh."  🙄

• Like 1

What kinds of things are you hesitant to miss about school?

List those privately. Then go back over your list and weigh each one as less important or more important than freeing your time to pursue your dancing?

When you come across something on your list that’s especially important to you, think about it for a few hours or days to see if you can come up with an alternative way to enjoy something similar.

For instance, would anyone in your class be allowed to invite you as their date to attend the prom or other celebration? Is there any event that you must be on the class roster to attend that you can’t live without?

I’m sorry that your school has imposed such a restrictive schedule. Have you met with a guidance counselor to discuss alternatives?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, catfeeder said:

What kinds of things are you hesitant to miss about school?

List those privately. Then go back over your list and weigh each one as less important or more important than freeing your time to pursue your dancing?

When you come across something on your list that’s especially important to you, think about it for a few hours or days to see if you can come up with an alternative way to enjoy something similar.

For instance, would anyone in your class be allowed to invite you as their date to attend the prom or other celebration? Is there any event that you must be on the class roster to attend that you can’t live without?

I’m sorry that your school has imposed such a restrictive schedule. Have you met with a guidance counselor to discuss alternatives?

I wasn’t even sure on attending prom and our homecoming was canceled due to the threats  . I guess I’m just scared of missing out on “normal teenage things” and social interaction. I of course would still hang out with my friends and be at dance with girls my age but it’s only so much talking you can due while learning lol. 

I went through a stage in middle school of having social anxiety and struggling to make friends and when I started high school, I got out of that and became more social. My social anxiety went away completely and I was comfortable being alone as well as being with friends. I guess I’m just scared of going back to the part of my life. I fear that I will loose my social skills and that I’ll become the old me. 

I know I need to let go of the past but it’s hard. I went to school in person today and while I love my friends, I realize that If I leave I won’t be missing much. I also me and  any of my friends now will continue being close after graduation (if I choose to stay or go online). I just don’t feel that connected to them or see us being lifelong friends.

I’ve never really been involved in school activities and didn’t plan on being this year, I guess I’m just scared of going back to my old self and having regrets.

Dance is where I really feel I belong and I know I should choose it but it’s just that feeling holding me back. I’m expected to make a decision before next Tuesday so I will definitely try your suggestions.💜

1 hour ago, SuperPeachh said:

I also me and  any of my friends now will continue being close after graduation (if I choose to stay or go online).

*I also know that me and my friends now will NOT continue being close after graduation. I don’t feel connected to them/see our friendships being long term*

On 10/1/2023 at 3:55 PM, SuperPeachh said:

I plan of going to college part time as well as pursuing a career in dance, choreography etc.

Try to start applying to universities that offer a degree in fine arts. (BFA) It doesn't have to be Juilliard  if you don't have great grades, but plenty of universities offer them . You'll meet more like-minded people at university and can focus more on your specific goals.

• Like 1

Are there activities in your community geared to homeschool teenagers? Is their volunteer work/religious organizations you can join for social outlets with peers -even young college students? I think a lot of the missing out will be tied to what you perceive is happening on social media.  Many of my high school friends went to different high schools because I transferred as a junior and I was in a high school youth group with teenagers from all over and my boyfriend was one year older and went to a different high school.  There's no cookie cutter senior year way -except maybe on social media.

Good luck!

15 hours ago, SuperPeachh said:

I wasn’t even sure on attending prom and our homecoming was canceled due to the threats  . I guess I’m just scared of missing out on “normal teenage things” and social interaction. I of course would still hang out with my friends and be at dance with girls my age but it’s only so much talking you can due while learning lol. 

I went through a stage in middle school of having social anxiety and struggling to make friends and when I started high school, I got out of that and became more social. My social anxiety went away completely and I was comfortable being alone as well as being with friends. I guess I’m just scared of going back to the part of my life. I fear that I will loose my social skills and that I’ll become the old me. 

I know I need to let go of the past but it’s hard. I went to school in person today and while I love my friends, I realize that If I leave I won’t be missing much. I also me and  any of my friends now will continue being close after graduation (if I choose to stay or go online). I just don’t feel that connected to them or see us being lifelong friends.

I’ve never really been involved in school activities and didn’t plan on being this year, I guess I’m just scared of going back to my old self and having regrets.

Dance is where I really feel I belong and I know I should choose it but it’s just that feeling holding me back. I’m expected to make a decision before next Tuesday so I will definitely try your suggestions.💜

Okay, I understand. So I guess you may want to come up with specific steps you can take to ensure that you maintain the social side of your life.

Social isolation is not something that happens ‘to’ us without our consent, and so this can be a test of your maturity and discipline to take active responsibility for your own social balance. You may also build a larger social network with your peers in the dance community. And you may also design a plan to support your local community in efforts to make dance and other forms of art more accessible to the children of your neighborhood.

Head high, and enjoy the options you choose for yourself.

On 10/2/2023 at 11:53 PM, Wiseman2 said:

Try to start applying to universities that offer a degree in fine arts. (BFA) It doesn't have to be Juilliard  if you don't have great grades, but plenty of universities offer them . You'll meet more like-minded people at university and can focus more on your specific goals.

On 10/3/2023 at 5:17 AM, Batya33 said:

Are there activities in your community geared to homeschool teenagers? Is their volunteer work/religious organizations you can join for social outlets with peers -even young college students? I think a lot of the missing out will be tied to what you perceive is happening on social media.  Many of my high school friends went to different high schools because I transferred as a junior and I was in a high school youth group with teenagers from all over and my boyfriend was one year older and went to a different high school.  There's no cookie cutter senior year way -except maybe on social media.

Good luck!

18 hours ago, catfeeder said:

Okay, I understand. So I guess you may want to come up with specific steps you can take to ensure that you maintain the social side of your life.

Social isolation is not something that happens ‘to’ us without our consent, and so this can be a test of your maturity and discipline to take active responsibility for your own social balance. You may also build a larger social network with your peers in the dance community. And you may also design a plan to support your local community in efforts to make dance and other forms of art more accessible to the children of your neighborhood.

Head high, and enjoy the options you choose for yourself.

Thank you all for the advice ♥️