How many documented cases of respitory failure or cancer from pot have you seen?

Personally, I have one man with throat cancer from smoking marijuana on a regular basis ( he was fifty-eight). I just finished my first year of clinicals in the hospital. What I have seen is not really relevant to the fact that marijuana is harmful. Some affects of marijuana use aren't seen right away, the world is alot larger than I am.

I have a good friend who is a doctor and he confirms that marijuana is damaging to a degree each time you smoke. He told me it increases your risk of a heart attack by four times within the first hour of smoking it, because it increases your heart rate fairly dramatically, and that it increases your blood pressure and can increase the risk of stroke related to the increase in blood pressure. (someone with prexisting cardiovascular problems is at a greater risk.)

This is from one of the articles we were given in class:

"Even infrequent use can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency to obstructed airways.

Smoking marijuana increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck, and the more marijuana smoked the greater the increase. A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced strong evidence that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.

Marijuana use also has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. It also produces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form—levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells.

Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may increase the risk of cancer more than smoking tobacco. Some of marijuana's adverse health effects may occur because THC impairs the immune system's ability to fight off infectious diseases and cancer."

And this is an excerpt of an article from the Mayo Clinic:

"Smoking marijuana can quickly cause your heart to beat 50 percent faster than normal, which can put people who already have poor blood flow at increased risk of chest pain (angina) or even a heart attack. It can also affect your:

Blood pressure. Your blood pressure may increase immediately after using marijuana, which could increase your risk of a stroke if you have cardiovascular disease. Conversely, the drug can also decrease your blood pressure to a point that's too low, making you dizzy and lightheaded.

Blood flow. Using the drug can decrease blood flow to your heart. This is particularly dangerous if you already have poor blood flow due to coronary artery disease, in that it could set the stage for a heart attack.

Exercise ability. If you have angina, marijuana use can reduce your ability to exercise as vigorously and can make your heart rate rise earlier during the exercise session, causing you to suffer chest pain earlier during your exertion.

Unlike cigarettes, marijuana joints don't have filters, and you typically inhale the smoke deeply, holding it in before exhaling — which means you could expose yourself to dangerous components in the smoke for longer periods of time. Possible respiratory problems include:

Cancer. Burning marijuana smoke contains higher amounts of some cancer-causing chemicals than does tobacco smoke. Smoking marijuana increases your risk of cancer of the mouth, larynx and lungs.

Breathing trouble. Long-term marijuana use increases your risk of emphysema (which damages the lungs so they can't inflate with fresh air) and bronchitis (an inflammation of the airways in the lungs). You're also more likely to experience frequent coughing and excessive phlegm."

I don't think this is about judging. I am not judging what Napolean has done. It is about the question of how much marijuana use is safe. I am giving information here that I have received in nursing school, so that misery can be informed of the risks. A person does not need to smoke every day to experience harmful side effects.

However used in moderation once a week or so it definitely isn't going to hurt you unless you drive while on it.

Naploean, read above and see if you still feel that way. The risk is there, and it is very real.

If what you have copied is indeed true (and it is my understanding this is an ongoing debate) then I stand corrected. It is indeed quite harmful, and I am perfectly willing to change a position if someone presents a very valid argument.

However after all the people I have met who have done it occasionally, compared to all those who have smoked cigs everyday and mc donalds or alcohol regularly I still maintain it is feasibly less dangerous than the above mentioned if taken in moderation. I will have to study the matter further (it's been a while since I looked into it) and get back to you after my Lsat.

Haha you are going for law school? That explains your passion for debate!

Yes, this is indeed what my doctor friend told me, and the articles I copied were handed out in class, I was unaware of some of those facts before too.

Although we tend not to think about it, and probably alot of people get by with minimal harm, the risks are indeed dangerous and not really worth it if you ask me.

When are your Lsats?

I got the LSAT on monday if I can figure out how to get there. (it's way out in Jersey. I am gonna have to take a taxi or train.)

And I still gotta download the ticket.

I am hoping to just get it over with, get a good enough score to go somewhere good, and attend brooklyn law for my first year since that is the only good law school still open.

I argue all the time in regular life, not much change from online. But I try to keep open minded about it and respect the other person even if it is somebody who is dead wrong.