Why would my guy friend avoid looking at me or make eye contact when we are in a group

You're probably reading too much into it.   You're friends interacting among a group of other friends.  Sometimes he's walking next to you and engaging with you.  Other times he's probably conversing with somebody else.  It's unlikely he's "avoiding" you.  Do you have a crush on him?

• Like 1

Perhaps he's self conscious with a group of friends and doesn't want them to think there's something or anything going on between you two.  Perhaps he's nervous around the group of friends so he pretends he doesn't know you.  Who knows?

Appreciate that he prefers a few friends and it's his comfort zone to approach you easily and tease you. 

If you don't understand him, ask him the next time you're with him without a group of friends.

18 hours ago, Anna21 said:

when we are out with a few friends he would walk with me and tease me .I really don’t understand him.

Do you have a crush on him? That's ok. Just ask him to go for a drink or coffee or an event one-on-one. If a man isn't asking you out, whatever else he is or isn't doing can't be deciphered as "signs". 

Is this the same guy?:

https://www.enotalone.com/topic/454836-what-does-it-mean-when-he-notice-your-absence-for-a-moment-in-a-group-sitting/#comment-5771512

• 1 month later...

In fact, this is a fairly common situation. For some reason, in the presence of other people, your good friend becomes different. If you see that your friend can communicate normally with you only when you are alone, and in front of other people he teases you - perhaps he is embarrassed to be friends with you, does not want a negative attitude from these people. Anyway this behavior is strange

• 3 weeks later...

Is he closer to other people in the group than you? Do you make any efforts to engage with him that would warrant looking you in the eye or do you also act a bit distant? 

I've experienced this before and trying to stop overthinking it/being a bit more engaging with the person helped. Could be you're both a bit awkward and mirroring each other.

• 4 weeks later...