Drinking while working remotely

Just now, Batya33 said:

I'm really not interested in discussing it in this format -sorry! You of course have asked a question many have and many will continue to I'm sure.  Also I've never tried pot, never will, do not want my son to try it if I have a choice or any illegal drug (never tried any illegal drug) and I've never been drunk.  So from a personal perspective -well, I have nothing to contribute.  Not interested in getting into a discussion on my values about illegal drugs and recreational use of marijuana, etc.  But you've posted your question, it seems to be off topic although I certainly went off topic - and maybe others want to discuss!

Fair enough and I respect that.

You're right that it's off-topic, and that's not really fair to Bolt, so I'll shut up now, lol.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Wonderstruck said:

So why is alcohol considered socially acceptable and Marijuana still has such a stigma around it?

Probably because of the length of time it's been demonized. I didn't know this until I saw some 1950's memorabilia where marijuana was the focus of horror stories. I mean that literally--like pot smokers turned into zombies like the living dead.

Pot was so much easier to get than alcohol when I was a kid. All my friends smoked it, grew it, dealt it, and I just thought I wasn't doing it right because I didn't feel anything. I turned out to be the best joint roller in my neighborhood, and that was a pain because it kept me busier than I wanted to be. But eventually I learned that pot not only didn't mellow me like everyone else, it made me paranoid. So I was pretty happy when people would buy me wine for rolling all the joints to be sold next day.

I've leaned over time about the wide ranges of benefits of the plants and oils, and my cousin volunteers for harvests around the country to get it out to cancer patients.

I think a majority of people are learning, if not acceptance then tolerance, maybe especially because the plants don't need to be smoked to be of benefit. So the stereotypes are fading.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

Probably because of the length of time it's been demonized. I didn't know this until I saw some 1950's memorabilia where marijuana was the focus of horror stories. I mean that literally--like pot smokers turned into zombies like the living dead.

Pot was so much easier to get than alcohol when I was a kid. All my friends smoked it, grew it, dealt it, and I just thought I wasn't doing it right because I didn't feel anything. I turned out to be the best joint roller in my neighborhood, and that was a pain because it kept me busier than I wanted to be. But eventually I learned that pot not only didn't mellow me like everyone else, it made me paranoid. So I was pretty happy when people would buy me wine for rolling all the joints to be sold next day.

I've leaned over time about the wide ranges of benefits of the plants and oils, and my cousin volunteers for harvests around the country to get it out to cancer patients.

I think a majority of people are learning, if not acceptance then tolerance, maybe especially because the plants don't need to be smoked to be of benefit. So the stereotypes are fading.

Thank you so much for this response.

I think you're EXACTLY right about the reason that there is still such a stigma surrounding it, and I just find it very frustrating.

ESPECIALLY when, as both you and Batya mentioned, there are so many proven medicinal benefits, not just for cancer patients, but even for treating conditions like depression and anxiety.

But also, I just don't understand why someone would have an issue with somebody going home and smoking a joint or popping an edible, but have NO issue with that same person going home and relaxing with a glass of wine.

I hope that the stereotypes continue to fade as more and more places legalize marijuana.

It feels like you're inserting fact or control where you're not at all... I mean, you don't have the credentials.  Heresay is terrible for proving anything, because people vary and human memory is totally unreliable.  

You need to have some basis, which in your case would be either try it, or run a case study with dozens of people.  That's it.  

21 minutes ago, LikeWater said:

It feels like you're inserting fact or control where you're not at all... I mean, you don't have the credentials.  Heresay is terrible for proving anything, because people vary and human memory is totally unreliable.  

You need to have some basis, which in your case would be either try it, or run a case study with dozens of people.  That's it.  

I'm so confused, is this comment directed toward me?

28 minutes ago, LikeWater said:

Sorry, no.  Directed to the OP.

I'm the OP.

The one and only time I mentioned marijuana was at the end of the last sentence of the first post on this thread, where I used the word "puff". I said not one thing further regarding marijuana.

So why is this directed at me?

54 minutes ago, LikeWater said:

You need to have some basis, which in your case would be either try it, or run a case study with dozens of people.  That's it

55 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I'm the OP.

The one and only time I mentioned marijuana was at the end of the last sentence of the first post on this thread, where I used the word "puff". I said not one thing further regarding marijuana.

It's directed at you because you're the furthest one from understanding the OP you created.  Do you think cannabis and alcohol are an equal level?  If so, which is more harmful?

I wasn't trying to clown on you but they are such different substances so I always have an urge to 'correct' people but you and I are probably both wrong so whatever.

3 minutes ago, LikeWater said:

It's directed at you because you're the furthest one from understanding the OP you created.  Do you think cannabis and alcohol are an equal level?  If so, which is more harmful?

I wasn't trying to clown on you but they are such different substances so I always have an urge to 'correct' people but you and I are probably both wrong so whatever.

I still think you have the wrong poster, LW. Bolt hasn't said a word about pot.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LikeWater said:

Again, I did not say one word about cannabis. I never even used that word. 

Please quote MY post where I said ANYTHING about cannabis.

On 9/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, boltnrun said:

Does anyone who works remotely indulge in a glass of wine or a beer during work hours?

I don't because I wouldn't if I was in the office, plus I have to be super focused to do the job I have and being even slightly sloshed would be bad. 

But I keep seeing Facebook and Instagram posts where people mention having a drink or even post pics of the glass of wine or the cocktail they're enjoying while working from home. I think that's super risky, but I guess they don't care if their bosses see they're drinking on the job!

I have laid (lain?) down for a quick catnap when I'm suffering from insomnia and I do chores like laundry or washing dishes or dust mopping the floor during work hours but only if I have down time. And if an assignment comes in I stop whatever chore I'm doing and do the work task.

So does anyone have a little drinky poo during work hours? Maybe take a few puffs 😉?

You're saying you're talking nicotine here? (last line of the post)

7 hours ago, boltnrun said:

I'm the OP.

Also this, so it was mj you were talking about.

9 hours ago, Wonderstruck said:

when, as both you and Batya mentioned, there are so many proven medicinal benefits, not just for cancer patients, but even for treating conditions like depression and anxiety.

I didn't write that -I didn't say it was proven, or that there are so many medicinal benefits (have no idea how many)  simply shared what I'd heard. Have no idea if it has been proven - no opinion either way on the scientific aspects or what's been done or not done in the studies/analyses.  I know of friends and family members who found it helpful for chemotherapy/cancer and maybe one other anecdote about a different medicinal benefit for pain.  I am happy for those people that they found a way to alleviate the pain in those tragic situations.  

Back to the OP - I don't -- and would feel uncomfortable if someone chose to be impaired during work using any substance especially if we were working together on a project and especially if it had a time sensitive deadline.  I gave an example above -and that was just a hangover (not sure if the alcohol effects last -I've never experienced one).  

12 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

That is the one and only time I even made a reference to marijuana other than asking you to quote me.

How is that one tiny reference relevant to what you wrote?

I looked back over the whole thread as to why I said that and I'm as confused as you are.  You and catfeeder were right, I was wrong, I'm very sorry.

• Like 2

And PS @boltnrun your topic has been a ride!

LOL! Thank you and I am signing out hahahahahaha I hope you haven’t minded me going off topic! Oh and NOT signing out to go smoke a reefer (as much as I would like to think I am cool, I am not; and definitely not in a scene from Jackie Brown right now) 🤪

People smoke pot whilst working from home? This is next level now ha!!! Pot, alcohol, sweatpants, no sweatpants  - grey areas! 🥳🥳🥳

x

2 hours ago, mylolita said:

And PS @boltnrun your topic has been a ride!

LOL! Thank you and I am signing out hahahahahaha I hope you haven’t minded me going off topic! Oh and NOT signing out to go smoke a reefer (as much as I would like to think I am cool, I am not; and definitely not in a scene from Jackie Brown right now) 🤪

People smoke pot whilst working from home? This is next level now ha!!! Pot, alcohol, sweatpants, no sweatpants  - grey areas! 🥳🥳🥳

x

Your preference for being dressed well and put together every day reminds me of a contestant on the show Project Runway years ago. Her name was Laura and she always wore dresses with plunging necklines and heels even in the workroom, where many of the contestants wore loose clothing or workout wear while sewing. And she was pregnant at the time but was still amazingly fit. She was asked about this and she replied (and I'm paraphrasing) "When you're 45 and you have four small children it's a slippery slope into sweatpants and a minivan, so I just don't go there". That stuck with me because it did make sense.

When I was married (and also while actively dating after my divorce) I always kept myself groomed (you know what I mean 😉 ). I also always shaved my legs and kept myself fit. Some of my friends didn't shave their legs all winter and I didn't understand that at all. I didn't want my husband to see me with hairy legs lol.

I live alone and am not having visitors during the work week so I choose to dress in casual athletic wear such as leggings and T-shirts.

However, I do still abstain from alcohol during work hours because that's a separate thing to me. No one would know but I would. And I don't use pot although plenty of my friends and family members do. I'm not opposed, it just doesn't hit me in a good way (yes, I've tried it, not recently though).

• Thanks 1

The concept of always being dressed very well, with make up and heels,  it always reminds me of my grandmother. She was always turned out, even to have a coffee at a Cafe. There's certainly a charm to it, though it just isn't my style. I remember talking to her about it and also my aunts, who are the same. It's funny to see it mentioned here in relation to being a mom because they said something similar. A way to assert a certain control over self while in the depths of raising a bunch of kids, and then became a cherished ritual. 

I haven't worked remotely so I can't speak to that. I was working for myself during lock down, so I already had established I don't like drinking during work. I like clear cut off points. A drink is nice sometimes with dinner or to chill/celebrate completion of something for me. 

I drank more at work prior , in person at a previous workplace. The boss would sometimes pull one or a few of us for a drink in the office. I had coworkers who obviously dipped out on breaks for a puff. It was sort of rough n tumble so no one cared. As long as you did your job, you could do what you want really. I just always preferred coffee , excessive coffee in that job. 

• Like 2