Losing clients to technicians I’ve introduced them to

It probably doesn’t happen that often and when it does happen I’m usually blissfully unaware. 

But I had reasonable confirmation of one client who ditched me when the replacement tech got in touch with me asking if I was available to work for him. And so it circles back?

It’s a little bit needling though, I introduced them. Still! If he likes her mixes more I would not want him to stick with using someone who’s less well suited. And she needs to get market share too to earn money to live. It’s just a pity so many of the jobs she’s getting are places I used to work (when she first arrived she cold canvassed work and I guess doing that turns up the same opportunities), or this client I introduced her too. 

It’s not like I missed any of the jobs (other clients are found and take their place) just the lack of client loyalty and the pattern of us being in direct competition rankle me. 

People in similarly competitive fields, how do you stay chill when colleagues you’re friendly acquaintance with cut lunches that aren’t exactly yours but you definitely could have eaten?

I know you mentioned before you have an issue with being on time. So that could be something clients take into consideration when hiring technicians. That is something you can completely eliminate. Being prompt and reliable is easy. 

If your industry is competitive and relies on word of mouth and referrals it's vital to make your services as attractive as possible. Have fair prices, perform well and be prompt. And don't be shy about asking people to refer you to others for jobs.

I've competed with coworkers for promotions. A few times I wasn't chosen and they were. I graciously congratulated them and when they performed well I told them so.

One time I was the one who got promoted and one of my competitors was really salty about it. In fact, he used a curse word when he sarcastically "congratulated" me. He never did get a promotion and ended up leaving the company. So it's also important to be gracious even if you don't feel like it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 1a1a said:

But I had reasonable confirmation of one client who ditched me when the replacement tech got in touch with me asking if I was available to work for him. And so it circles back?

I keep re-reading this and still don't understand it.

A 'replacement' tech got in touch with you to see if you were available?

That sounds as though work was being extended TO you, not taken from you.

Huh?

*appreciates and assimilates perspective shifts*

To flesh that out catfeeder, some years ago this client asked me if I was available for a show and since I wasn’t i introduced him to another sound tech. Since then he must have been going straight to her because I haven’t been contacted by him since. But there came a day when she was busy and she has gotten in touch with me to see if I’m available to work for him. 

9 hours ago, 1a1a said:

To flesh that out catfeeder, some years ago this client asked me if I was available for a show and since I wasn’t i introduced him to another sound tech. Since then he must have been going straight to her because I haven’t been contacted by him since. But there came a day when she was busy and she has gotten in touch with me to see if I’m available to work for him. 

So that's a good thing - you still have business from this person, right? It's the nature of many businesses - if you're not available someone else may get the business.  I know of people who make themselves available with tough choices and running around like crazy so they can retain the business.  For example we had almost signed a contract years ago with a post partum doula.  She then dumped us because a family she knew better called her out of the blue and needed her for the same time period. 

After that I would never ever refer her to someone else but she made the tough choice of dumping me -potential client -for someone else and of course she had to know she'd never get a referral from me (and I might warn people away from her).  

When my job involved business development many years ago I routinely referred potential clients to others if my skill set didn't match -and then sometimes that person would still come to me for other work.  But the person to whom I referred appreciated my referral and would pay it forward so to speak.  Do you network like that? 

This sounds like a win win for you.  And yes in your line of work a client has no obligation to continue working with you if you are unavailable - hard but isn't it the same for everyone?

11 hours ago, 1a1a said:

I think you are taking business personally. And you should not.  This client for whatever reason had a first choice but if they weren't available, so he called you.  thankfully.

That's business. 

I have changed service people from time to time. As a customer, it is my choice. I don't owe you loyalty. I pay you for a service. that's it. if something doesn't work for me, then I go elsewhere because again, I am paying for a service. The person performing the service is not doing me a favor. They are paid to do it.

If you are not available, not on time, or the service is lacking in some way, this can happen.

Instead of expecting loyalty, you should be providing the ultimate service because that's what makes people come back.

• Like 2