How do you deal with panic attacks / physical manifestations of anxiety?

Just curious. I've been experiencing a huge increase in anxiety attacks and physical manifestations of my anxiety, namely, sweating, trembling, insomnia, loss of appetite, etc. Just curious what other people do when they have anxiety attacks that helps them! Not looking for critiques, just personal experiences. 

I asked for help.

I saw a medical doctor first. Then I asked for a referral for counseling. I started seeing a psychologist, who rated me "high" on the anxiety scale. I went back to my medical doctor who referred me to a psychiatrist, who then put me on medication. I saw the psychologist weekly and the psychiatrist every two weeks at first. The medication helped a lot too. I practiced breathing techniques, tried yoga and went for calming walks. It took several months but I started getting better. I gained back almost all of the weight I'd lost, I got off the meds and I only see the psychologist once a month.

The biggest things that helped me was first off, giving myself permission to not always be OK. And the walks helped a lot too. Just getting outside and seeing the beautiful homes in my neighborhood and looking at the ocean did a lot. I also told my family so they could help when needed.

I hope some of this helps.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I asked for help.

I saw a medical doctor first. Then I asked for a referral for counseling. I started seeing a psychologist

The biggest things that helped me was first off, giving myself permission to not always be OK. And the walks helped a lot too. Just getting outside and seeing the beautiful homes in my neighborhood and looking at the ocean did a lot. I also told my family so they could help when needed.

I hope some of this helps.

Thank you! I actually just had a virtual therapy session via BetterHelp (thanks to a podcast discount lol) on Saturday and it was helpful but, you know, it was my first session and we did not get very deep. I have never been to a GP for anxiety, however. I have been self-medicating with marijuana products for years, but its efficacy has worn off over time. I have a dog so I do take her outside to walk her often but sometimes I have trouble even doing that, and I'll just take her out solely so she can use the bathroom and then come back inside. 

It helps a lot! And it helps a lot to know I am not alone, I guess that is the point of this entire website lol

46 minutes ago, moodindigo91 said:

huge increase in anxiety attacks and physical manifestations of my anxiety, namely, sweating, trembling, insomnia, loss of appetite, etc. 

Of course the first stop is to your doctor for blood tests and other evaluations to rule out cardiac, thyroid and other possible physical causes.

You can't 'talk' away hyperthyroidism, cardiac issues or other physical issues.. Don't self diagnose and assume it's just anxiety.

As far as lifestyle goes

The next is to review your diet and cut back on caffeine, energy drinks, etc. Also stop alcohol.  Stop using marijuana, it increases heartrate and  creates rebound anxiety . Cut back on late, heavy evening meals and sugar.

Get more physical activity. Both relaxing type stuff such as yoga etc. and cardiovascular workouts.

• Like 2

For in the moment, grounding techniques have been helpful for me. I have a few simple things... slowly drinking water, slow stretches, making tea, holding an ice cube in my hand and focusing in on the sensation.

More generally, I go back to basics with my daily routine. Staying on a sleep schedule is important for me. No stimulants, healthy food, lots of water. I do find if I skip on meals, it triggers my anxiety. I cook when I feel good, and keep healthy meals in my freezer for when I don't feel so great so I don't fall into not eating. 

Definitely talk to your GP. Over time, you will work out a tool box for yourself. I hope in the meantime, it helps to know you aren't alone and I'm wishing you nothing but relief and speedy help. ♥️

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

Of course the first stop is to your doctor for blood tests and other evaluations to rule out cardiac, thyroid and other possible physical causes.

You can't 'talk' away hyperthyroidism, cardiac issues or other physical issues.. Don't self diagnose and assume it's just anxiety.

As far as lifestyle goes

The next is to review your diet and cut back on caffeine, energy drinks, etc. Also stop alcohol.  Stop using marijuana, it increases heartrate and  creates rebound anxiety . Cut back on late, heavy evening meals and sugar.

Get more physical activity. Both relaxing type stuff such as yoga etc. and cardiovascular workouts.

Thanks! The last time I saw my doc, they said I was extremely healthy, as usual. But it has been several years!! I def need to go back. 

I definitely rely a bit on marijuana at this point despite the fact that it doesn't really help. I guess it increases my apathy. Hard to stop using. But I have done it before so I can do it again. 

I was working out every day until recently and was experiencing less anxiety attacks for sure! This is all good advice. Like I know it all but it just helps to hear it haha 

• Thanks 1