What do I do

Unknown78

My boyfriend of 5 months left without a word and came back 3 months later to say it was due to a life meltdown. He said he wants to finish college in 3 months, before getting into a relationship. He said all of his feelings are still there but told me he didnt want me to feel like I had to wait for him. Should I wait or move on? 

Move on. Hard times happen but it doesn't mean that your partner shuts down or shuts you out. Actively showing that you love one another and being there for each other consistently is part and parcel of the whole deal (being in a relationship). He's shown you he's not prepared for that and he's entitled to his own reasons. 

Even when he finishes college, he will run into new challenges like finding a job and holding down that job, balancing working life and other obligations. Life doesn't get easier with time. It becomes more complicated and both of you will require new skills to keep up with your increasing obligations to work or family. College was one of the easiest times of my life. I went to classes and I supported myself, I was young but I also had very little obligations in the bigger scheme of things. 

Move on and silently thank him for showing you that he is not life partner material.

Imagine if you are married with young kids, mortgage, bills and he suddenly disappears for a few months because you know....he needed a break from all the stress of adulting and he just couldn't take it anymore, but he totally still loves you and all, and so sorry for leaving you on your own to handle everything while he goes on an extended vacation and gosh...he'll be back in a few more months when he feels ready again....maybe.....

Archived