I am a nurse

Unless she's your "girlfriend" (as in romantic RL) and you plan on marrying her or something, is that's what's going on?

And you're concerned about your future?

Asking again. Please enlighen us as you really do seem a bit overly concerned about this. More than just a "friend" would be.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Investing 10k when you make 60k is almost impossible - If you’re also saving up for a retirement (which are separate IMO)

150k is almost triple 60. Even if that’s the low end of what a doctor makes, doctors make more.

But "i" wouldn't start making 150 K till 38 wheras by 38 i should,make way more as an experienced nurse maybe 80K...and investing 10 K while making 60K is still a more comfortable life then being,in edical school living on 20K a year. Not saving,anything,for retirement
Asking again. Please enlighen us as you really do seem a bit overly concerned about this. More than just a "friend" would be.
I made up friend its about me. Please dont comment tho katrina i am a real person with feelings looking for an answer if you cant answer your comments are just rude.
This is about me now. And math is complicated maybe factors im bot cisidering,i was hoping,for answers from physcians nurses and those who invest some of their income

Do you live at home or on your own? I think you don't have much experience with actual financial responsibilities like mortgage, rent, bills, loans, food, clothing, and any other expenses... Or do you?

Guess you're not gonna answer my question asking if she's your girlfriend you plan to marry and you're worried about your future.

So I'm just gonna take that as a yes.

I cannot imagine why else you'd be this worked up over it.

She said she is the "friend" and that this thread is about her but you were prolly posting when she posted that and missed it.

I made up friend its about me. Please dont comment tho katrina i am a real person with feelings looking for an answer if you cant answer your comments are just rude.

You’re arguing with yourself on what your path is?

That simplifies it.

Do what makes you happy. Nurses work fixed schedules. You’ll know when you’re working. Doctors may be on call. Getting an MD requires school.

Look up northwestern mutual or any other financial advisory firm and have them run your numbers.

You’re arguing with yourself on what your path is?

That simplifies it.

Do what makes you happy. Nurses work fixed schedules. You’ll know when you’re working. Doctors may be on call. Getting an MD requires school.

Look up northwestern mutual or any other financial advisory firm and have them run your numbers.

I can vouch for that! My ex is a doctor and for awhile there, we could never really plan anything as he was always on call!

He's an ER doctor, and the hospital was short staffed which is pretty standard.

I don't know exactly how much he made, but I think it was in the $250,000 range and he's been a doctor for twelve years.

Personally I think it's great you want to be a doctor.

Good luck whatever you decide!!

The whole site is basically centred pretty much around relationships . Because it has a money and career subsection doesn’t mean we’re overflowing with people with medical professions.

I do invest money . I do save for my retirement but I let a financial expert do that .

The whole site is basically centred pretty much around relationships . Because it has a money and career subsection doesn’t mean we’re overflowing with people with medical professions.

I do invest money . I do save for my retirement but I let a financial expert do that .

Yea i need one mroe for investing

I know about investing. Quick crash course.

60k if you’re in the US - plan on taking home like 80% of that.

That’s 48k.

You should put at least 6% into retirement (honestly more - but that brings you to 45).

So that’s 3750 per month, roughly 1850 per paycheck.

Let’s assume food, rent, and other requirements is 1500 per month, not including car insurance or car maintenance.

That leaves 2100.

Your student loan payment will have to be at least ~500 per month *just to pay interest*. So realistically, you should pay at least 1000 per month

That’s 1100 left over, not including any fun, car, gas, travel, unexpected item...

Ok. So you want to save 10k a year.

That’s 833.

You have 150 for car and everything else leftover.

10k x 1.07 is 10,700.

In 10 years it’ll be about 150k (just rough guessing)

There’s your start.

I know about investing. Quick crash course.

60k if you’re in the US - plan on taking home like 80% of that.

That’s 48k.

You should put at least 6% into retirement (honestly more - but that brings you to 45).

So that’s 3750 per month, roughly 1850 per paycheck.

Let’s assume food, rent, and other requirements is 1500 per month, not including car insurance or car maintenance.

That leaves 2100.

Your student loan payment will have to be at least ~500 per month *just to pay interest*. So realistically, you should pay at least 1000 per month

That’s 1100 left over, not including any fun, car, gas, travel, unexpected item...

Ok. So you want to save 10k a year.

That’s 833.

You have 150 for car and everything else leftover.

10k x 1.07 is 10,700.

In 10 years it’ll be about 150k (just rough guessing)

There’s your start.

Thanks. I am assuming she puts nothing towards retirement till 40 for,it to be a fair comparison because medical school students do not usually save for retirement so ill say 200K by age 40. Compared to whatever she could do for two years of 2000K salary with 300K in loans
Thanks. I am assuming she puts nothing towards retirement till 40 for,it to be a fair comparison because medical school students do not usually save for retirement so ill say 200K by age 40. Compared to whatever she could do for two years of 2000K salary with 300K in loans

Stop pretending it’s your friend. It’s you.

And it’s incredibly naive to put nothing towards retirement. ESPECIALLY at 40.

There are free financial advisors.

I would forget that and get a financial advisor.
I am a student. I cannot,afford a financial advisor. And,im just curious i will never go to school again. I just think ppl assume more scho is the only,way to wealth when its not, there,is a janitor with 4 kids who retired a,millionaire
Stop pretending it’s your friend. It’s you.

And it’s incredibly naive to put nothing towards retirement. ESPECIALLY at 40.

You cant put anything towards retirement as a medical student so to see the ultimate income lost or gailed by pursuing medical school i have to account for the fact that one way wont allow,for retirement sp lets assume neither way i save, do you know 30 year old medical students saving,for retirement?
You cant put anything towards retirement as a medical student so to see the ultimate income lost or gailed by pursuing medical school i have to account for the fact that one way wont allow,for retirement sp lets assume neither way i save, do you know 30 year old medical students saving,for retirement?

I started saving when I was 18 in my first job.

Archived