Well, I might just have turned that right around. Figured I had nothing to lose so I decided to get her a flat-warming gift in celebration of her getting her new place. I’m an artist by profession and drew her a pic of her dog (she even brought her on our first date) and left it on her doorstep today so she got it when she got in from her crazy work shift. She absolutely loves it wants to go out for a meal once she’s all sorted in her new place... maybe sooner. Really did not see that coming... but I’ll take it. Proof that there really is no rulebook.

Boom.

This makes me happy—for you, for the world—wherever that meal goes.

There is, really, zero rulebook.

People are wildly mysterious, wildly complicated. With years we get more complicated, thanks to the stuff, good and bad, that time throws at us. All we can do is try to access are most genuine wants and feelings—the ones sometimes hidden by fears, anxieties, the residue of past experiences—and put those out there, see what sticks, and be cool with whatever happens because you know you were being the most authentic you.

Hope the dinner goes well. Enjoy the ride.

Boom.

This makes me happy—for you, for the world—wherever that meal goes.

There is, really, zero rulebook.

People are wildly mysterious, wildly complicated. With years we get more complicated, thanks to the stuff, good and bad, that time throws at us. All we can do is try to access are most genuine wants and feelings—the ones sometimes hidden by fears, anxieties, the residue of past experiences—and put those out there, see what sticks, and be cool with whatever happens because you know you were being the most authentic you.

Hope the dinner goes well. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks bluecastle. Not getting ahead of myself - nothing’s set in stone plus I did somewhat stupidly play the ‘let’s be friends’ card a few weeks ago, even though she never implied which way she was leaning. Whatever the case, having her suggest going for dinner is very much a positive thing and one I wasn’t expecting. Fingers crossed but no expectations.

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. It’s been much appreciated.

Archived