Girlfriend went back to her abusive ex. Need help understanding why?

dilsvern

How did things turn out?

I have been in no contact for 8 months, looking sporadically at her social media. They moved in together two months ago and from the pictures posted on Instagram she never looked so happy. They seem to enjoy their time together travelling around, going to parties, concerts, etc. It looks like the honeymoon period is never going to end.

We have a mutual friend who now lives abroad and comes back to visit her family and friends every few months. My ex texted me recently to say she was sorry I had been avoiding our friend's meetings ever since we broke up. She said this was immature and our friend doesn't desreve to be treated that way.

I was going to ignore that message, but later that day she sent another one saying that she actually missed talking to me. Hot and cold right? Unfortunately I took the bait and texted her back spilling my guts to her, saying how hurt I felt etc. expecting to see some sign of remorse. Quite the contrary. She changed her tone instantly (cold again). She said she had never been so happy in her entire life and she deeply regretted that she even allowed our "acquaintance" to turn into something serious in the first place. Then she assured me she never wanted to renew our acquaintance (so why was she texting!?) and that she had been through so much with her new (ex) boyfriend that she didn' fear anything any more (i.e. cheating). Then I decided to block her on my mobile.

I'm really confused by her inconsistent behavior. I do all I can to distract myself and move on (gym, climbing wall, travel). I don't want to jump into anther relationship as I don't feel ready for it. I still cannot understand how was this possible that her ex changed so drastically in no time. Is he now really good, caring, loving and #simplythebest?

Archived