Neighbors fighting?

mustlovedogs

• 2 weeks later...
Agree. This is not a loud frat party where you call the landlord. This is a case where there is repeated verbal violence, domestic disturbances. The cops won't randomly rip their kid away or haul them both off to jail. They will show up, ask some questions and access the situation, including looking in all rooms and noticing a child is there. That is what they are there for.

If it is just a domestic fight, they will talk to them and leave it. At this point you don't know if they are drunk, high, brandishing guns, knives, etc. Your manager is not a social worker. They may suggest some social worker visits to assess what's going on. People like this are troubled, disturb the peace and should be dealt with. It's sad how many kids and partners are murdered all the time. Also with the cops you have anonymity, the landlord may state that you complained.

Wiseman, this was a brilliant response. You are oh so very wise :-) They absolutely will NOT rip the child away from the parents but they will give them a hell of a wake up call (one hopes). And I agree that the child is on the receiving end of that abuse already so in my mind, calling the police would be completely warranted. This reminds of one particular episode of SVU. The woman is clearly in an abusive relationship and she has either 1) accepted it or 2) feels like she can’t leave. Regardless of her choice, it isn’t their right to traumatize that baby. If no one calls the police, nothing will get done because I’m guessing she has decided that she and this child have to be this guy’s verbal punching bag which drives me absolutely insane that a mother would subject her child to that but alas, no one knows of her struggles or the back story. I just think it’s up to the public to be vigilant and to speak up for those that for whatever reason cannot.

Archived