She wears an unuasual ring should I ask her about it?

There is a woman that I see through work once or twice a week. Most times I see her she smiles and says something to me if we are in close proximity. I really want to ask her out but she wears a ring on her ring finger. I can't really get a very close look at it but it doesn't look like any engaement or wedding ring I've ever seen. I'm not to familiar with rings but this one looks like it has either a blue inlay or a blue stone. Could it be that she just likes wearing it on that finger? I've know it to be done. Should I just come out and ask her what the ring is? Is there any particular way I should ask.

Seems to me that a ring worn on the wedding ring finger is probably a wedding ring. Just because it isn't traditional it doesn't mean it is something else. Just say that the ring looks different and ask if it is significant in any way.

Some people aren't big fans of diamond engagement rings, for example, princess Diana had a sapphire engagement ring...

There's a chance that the lady you're interested in might also be wearing a sapphire engagement ring. Why don't you just ask her about it? You can casually ask "is that a sapphire engagement ring?" (be sure to emphasize the word "sapphire", not "engagement") If she is not engaged, she'll probably tell you what the stone is, and that it is not an engagement ring. If she asks why your interested in her ring, you can always say something like one of your friends just got engaged and has a plain old diamond ring, and that the blue ring caught your eye because it is so unique. She'll be flattered and you will accomplish your mission to find out if she's taken or not Good luck!

Yes - that is also a possibility. Also, I sometimes wear a ring on my "ring finger" because it is a family heirloom and the only finger it fits on...

...gosh - I hope I don't scare away potential suitors!!!

that would explain all this guys moping around your campus with disappointed faces!

More seriously, I lot of guys won't approach a girl with a ring on that finer.