I think my dad is going to die, over Christmas.

Saphin

My dad has prostate cancer and has done for years. He's been on chemo this week and during it, he's contracted sepsis. I live away from them, and am visiting for Christmas.

And I've found out while here that because he's stubborn and doesn't like hospitals he's been hiding symptoms of an infection from my mum for the last few days.

This morning, he collapsed, couldn't breathe and I had to call an ambulance.

He's got serious sepsis and because he's left it, it's causing multiple organ failure so they don't know if they'll be able to treat it without his organs shutting down. I just had to have conversation with the registrar about him agreeing to a DNR and they can't get his blood pressure up.

I'm weirdly calm right now, and I'm guessing soon it's going to hit me and when it does I don't really know what to do.

When it's hits you, remember your faith. Remember that this cancer journey has been very hard on your dad. Maybe to him, he was hiding his symptoms because it was most important to him to be home with his family. Remember that there's nothing you could've done differently, we all have an expiration date and there's no stopping that. Just be sure you've said everything you need to say to him, and remember when he leaves, he's going to a place of peace and comfort. His pain will be gone. His suffering will be over and he will be free.

I'm so sorry, I truly cannot imagine the pain of losing a parent. I will pray he responds to treatment.

Thank you all so much for your well wishes. My dad's infection has stabilised and while we're still taking it day by day, things look like they might improve after all.

Thank you for being such a supportive community of people, it has helped so much. :)

Thank you all so much for your well wishes. My dad's infection has stabilised and while we're still taking it day by day, things look like they might improve after all.

Thank you for being such a supportive community of people, it has helped so much. :)

Thank you for the update, Saphin, and I hope you'll keep us posted. Happy new year, and I hope it turns out to be the best year ever for you and your family.

Archived