It's Really Hard To Not Care What Other People Think.

ironpony

I've been wanting to become a movie director or have some kind of career in filmmaking for a few years now, but find it hard to break into the business.

Basically I feel it's best to break in by making a feature film and trying to either sell it, or get noticed that way. However, it seems that almost everyone is not supporting me at all in this and I keep being told that I am nowhere near ready and that I don't have "it".

I am pouring all my fortune and savings into it and everyone thinks I am crazy. However, if you read what other movie directors had to do go get there, they all had to do the same thing, and put their life savings on the line.

So I feel I am not doing anything different than almost every successful movie director had to do to get there.

But I find people's warnings incredibly discouraging and can't help but feel that I might very likely be making a mistake. I talked to a movie director about it, and he said that it's true what directors say that they had to throw everything into the pot, and not listen to anyone, and that the only beliefs that matter are one's own.

It's just that the think directing is a mistake though. They say I have too much desperation and anxiety, and I'm just trying to make up for the past. I talked about it before on here in a previous thread:

https://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526498

I got some positive advice on that thread, but now I feel like the rest of the advice has all been negative and too cautionary, to the point where I feel trapped and not sure what to do, especially since I was told by one person that I have delusions of grandeur. But what do you think? How do other people in this kind of position do it, where they have to convince themselves that they are the one right person and that everyone else's opinions don't matter?

There was this British lady who was told that her story about a school for young wizards would never get anywhere. She was told this by countless people and publishers. She's now worth £1 billion.

There were these 4 british lads who made music, but people laughed at them and they were rejected by record companies. They went on to be The Beatles.

As a novelist, I was told that if I cannot deal with rejection and just push on, if I cannot deal with people's negative attitudes towards what I am trying to do, then I shouldn't be a novelist.

I will say the same to you. If you cannot deal with the negativity and just focus on doing the best job you can, you may as well give up.

If you want to be a director, you should start directing. I think the best lesson is from Steven Spielberg. As a kid he made 8mm films with his friends from the neighborhood. They didn't cost much money, but they taught him how to edit films for pacing and dramatic effect, they taught him how to direct actors, how important lighting and sound is, and so forth. As his films increased in complexity, he directed a 25-minute short film called Amblin' that a friend partially financed that won several awards at film festivals. It led to a 7-year contract with Universal Studios directing Night Gallery and Columbo episodes.

George Romero, who directed the classic Night of the Living Dead, got his experience directing local TV ads in Pittsburgh. He used the crew he shot commercials with to work on the movie and the rest is history. Ridley and Tony Scott directed commercials before moving up to films. Spike Jonze and David Fincher shot music videos.

So many directors got their start by directing shorts or TV productions, and that's your best bet. Make "films" (it's on video these days) that show off your work. Wanting to be a director is different than being a director. You've got to direct stuff that get people's attention. Enter them in film festivals and get noticed. And then keep on climbing.

I think this route is your best route.

If you want to be a director, you should start directing. I think the best lesson is from Steven Spielberg. As a kid he made 8mm films with his friends from the neighborhood. They didn't cost much money, but they taught him how to edit films for pacing and dramatic effect, they taught him how to direct actors, how important lighting and sound is, and so forth. As his films increased in complexity, he directed a 25-minute short film called Amblin' that a friend partially financed that won several awards at film festivals. It led to a 7-year contract with Universal Studios directing Night Gallery and Columbo episodes.

I saw Spielberg's sister speak last year; she produces documentaries. She told the stories of how, as kids, he always put on productions in the backyard for all the neighbor kids. It was his lifelong passion, and yes, they just continued to increase in complexity. She said that it was just this burning desire he always had to put on productions, even as young as 8 years of age.

Have you taken any classes? The college I went to offers an RTF (Radio Television Film) degree. A friend graduated with that degree, and she works as a grip on different t.v. shows.

George Romero, who directed the classic Night of the Living Dead, got his experience directing local TV ads in Pittsburgh. He used the crew he shot commercials with to work on the movie and the rest is history. Ridley and Tony Scott directed commercials before moving up to films. Spike Jonze and David Fincher shot music videos.

So many directors got their start by directing shorts or TV productions, and that's your best bet. Make "films" (it's on video these days) that show off your work. Wanting to be a director is different than being a director. You've got to direct stuff that get people's attention. Enter them in film festivals and get noticed. And then keep on climbing.

I think this route is your best route.

But this is the problem for me though. I am 33 and do not have time to go back in time to when I was a kid and start that young. I hate my career and loathe and cannot stand it anymore. I quit my job and won't go back. Looking for other work in the meantime, but I cannot go back to my job, as it was literally driving me crazy, I hate it that much.

So I decided a few years ago, I want to get into it, but I don't want to wait till I'm 50 start going into the career I want. I need to start right away, and play catch up as fast as I can. The script's been written and doing refining drafts. I want to start shooting it next year, but this is why people think I'm crazy, but I don't think they understand the position I am in.

If they wasted their time growing up, not doing the things they wanted, they would want to get a really fast head start as well.

I went to film school and just graduated, and I'm trying to catch up as fast as I can, but only have a few more months till I want to shoot the script.

Archived