Moving Out

sammy1592

So I am 25 years old, graduated from college 3 years ago, and I've been living at home since then to save as much money as possible and also because it took me this long to get a job that actually pays me enough that I could afford to move out (I also lived at home during college). I just put down a security deposit on my first apartment, and basically I'm just freaking out a bit about money, responsibility and the like. Anybody have any encouraging "spreading their wings" stories? I sure could use some right about now.

I moved out for the first time after graduate school -age 28. I lived at home during most of college and grad school and in between. I will tell you that I had no clue how much I would grow in independence from moving out and living on my own (I never had room mates). And it improved my social life and my relationship with my parents. I wish you all the best - I think it will be a great experience for you! (Watch the old movie -old to you -St. Elmos Fire -toward the middle/end there is a great scene where one of the women, a college grad, decides to move out on her own and does it, and explains to (Rob Lowe!) what it's like to live on her own. Favorite scene of mine on that topic. The rest of the movie is really great too.

I moved out at 18 for many reasons and yes it was hard, I wasn't nearly as smart or prepared as I thought I was. But I persevered and it all worked out well in the end.

Make yourself a budget and do your best to stick to it. Money can be a real tension-maker! Know where you stand financially at all times. I bet you enjoy your new found freedom and all that comes with it! It's all baby steps, take one at a time, and you'll be fine!

Archived