No gift from boyfriend for anniversary...but I got him one

I understand how you feel. It sucks.

What I would like to know is how does he treat you? Does he show you in other ways that he does love you? Some people have trouble saying those 3 little words, but they express it in many ways.

Also, has he given you gifts before ?.. like on your birthday and such.. or are you always the one to give him stuff? If you are.. then lay off the presents and the "I love you's" until you feel more secure in the relationship. Let him do nice stuff for you from now on and only after that happens should you return his gestures.

Ditto to what Muneca said. Does he do other nice things for you? Do you feel loved in this relationship? If the answers are yes, then it sounds like things are ok. (Though I have a hard time believing that anyone's dense enough to not acknowledge an anniversary with a gift or a card, even if they're broke.) If you have other problems, I think you should re-evaluate this relationship.

My boyfriend forgot Valentine's Day, and didn't call me on Christmas...I doubt that he will remember our anniversary, but it doesn't matter. He makes it clear that he loves me almost every day through his words and actions, and I am secure enough in our love to not expect more.

What concerns me is that your boyfriend has been with you for a year and not said "I love you" yet. There's no excuse for that, besides perhaps his feeling that saying those words is unnecessary. Perhaps you should tell him that you love him, and ask him how he feels.

Also, if you would like him to remember to buy you gifts on special occasions, praise him on the (perhaps rare) occasions that he remembers to do so, or talk about the cute card or beautiful flowers a friend got from her boyfriend. Don't talk about it for too long though, or else he'll get sick of it and you'll be too obvious.

Good luck

I am sure that he really does love you, but it can be hard for some guys to say it. They have been so socialized into repressing thier feelings. NOt all guys are like that, but I personallly have seen many who are like that. He does love you. He does care for you. Remind him to tell you that.

As for the gift, maybe he didn't know what to get you. It can be really hard buying a gift for a girl. Really hard...possibly you could "hint" and tell him some things that you would really really like to have when you see them...i don't know....

I hope your boyfriend changes and is capable of telling you how much he loves you.

Good luck,

Richard

FYI, and this may not apply to him, but a lot of men intentionally take the "less is more" attitude as it relates to gifts for anniversaries that are just dating anniversaries. There's little harm to a man in underacknowledging it; whereas if he goes overboard as far as the girl is concerned, he ends up looking dopey.

Plus, some people just don't think anniversaries are that important.

Lastly, anniversary of what? First date? Committment? He may actually mark a different date.