Would you pay for divorce with credit?

Okay since the retainer fee isn't money I have lying around, should I use my credit card to cover it? I know eventually I'll pay it off (probably when I get the equity from the house), but it's one of those things I need another opinion about.

hmm... I don't know if this is quite the right place to post this question, since we're typically focused on emotions, and this is a finance question. You may want to consult a financial advice website.

What I do know is that if you can't afford the full thing, there are legal services, such as We The People, which assist people in filing their own legal documents for a small fee (a few hundred dollars).

good luck

If I knew I had to get out of the relationship in order to get on with my life, then absolutely, yes, I'd take an advance on my credit card to make it happen.

Here's my reasoning: You can earn more money and pay it off later. Drawing money into your life is really one of the easier things to do in creating your own reality. You can't get back the time you will lose staying trapped in a relationship that's over. You cannot create more time....you can always create more money.

A side note here...my husband divorced his ex without having his own lawyer...thought he would save a few bucks...BIG MISTAKE. Trying to navigate through the legal system without a lawyer whose only job is looking out for your best interest is just asking for trouble. It may seem like a lot of money to you now, but trust me, it's pennies compared to what it would cost to clean up later.

Thank you Shes2smart. Your last piece of advice about the lawyer is really appreciated. And you are so right about the passing of time. Wow I really didn't think about that, even though it's hitting me in the face daily.

if it is what you truly want, then i guess you may have to. I would do as was suggested, take an advance on your credit card. I dont know what state you live in, but i believe you can hve your soon to be ex pay for the divorce. You can speak to a lawyer about this one.

It sounds like your significant other is protesting. If it is uncontested, you and the ex can do it yourself, just put in writing, the splitting of property. the hadest part is dividing your joint credit, this is where it gets sticky. If it is uncontested, a lawyer can do it for about $500, at least in Texas. If she is contesting the divorce, expect to pay the lawyer quite a bit more, as most likely she will have a lawyer, hey the have to make some money, right.

The best way is to get her to go uncontested. You can agree with her how to split property, child care and support, and debts. Put it all in writing, take it to your lawyer, he will have the paperwork typed up, she will sign it, if she agrees to it. Return to lawyer. Only you will need to show up to court, divorce granted. That simple. Hey, its that easy for uncontested in Texas, your state laws my vary a little. She can even have her name changed back for free at this time, at least in TX.

Investigate the laws in your state. Just remember if she fights it you will pay some cash, and it can be expensive with court dates and attorney fees.

Jetta,

In the process of a divorce as well and to be honest... I don't give a damn where the money comes from. It is for my mental well being and sanity. SO if you really want out, does it really matter where the money comes from? so long as you don't indebt yourself beyond recovery do whatever it takes.........

Buying anything on credit is a bad idea. I have a credit card, but I always pay off the full balance every month. Credit should only be used to buy things which you are able to sell to pay off your creditors if something bad happens. Like buying a house...if worst comes to worst, you could sell the house and use the money to pay off the mortgage. Its a really bad idea to put fees or anything else that could not be converted to cash on a credit card.