I'm struggling between 2 decisions...

theREALdusman

Hey everyone,

I wasn't sure which forum section I should post this, figured this one would be the closest to what I'm struggling with.

So basically long story short, I'm struggling between 2 decisions & was just seeking some outside thoughts on it...

Right now im currently working full time & also have a part time business which im trying to build up to the point where it can surpass my current income which will ultimately enable me to leave my job and just spend my time doing the things i prefer to do you know...so the original plan was keep my full time job, build my business on the side, live at home with family for a short period of time to cut down expenses that'll help me not only save quicker, but also help fund my business more instead of throwing it away on a mortgage. It was a small sacrifice in the beginning as I was willing to have some delayed gratification so when the time was right I could do things right & be in a much better position down the road, you get the idea...

So right now I'm at the point where I feel like I really should be in my own place, I mean I'm 32 now which sounds pathetic I know, but I also have the entrepreneur mindset where I believe whatever situation you're in is only temporary & just stay focused on your goal and do whatever you need to do to make it happen. I've been dying to move back interstate and buy my own place there, which is one of my main goals right now; to build up money while im at home working full time and building my business so i can achieve that...

I guess my dilemma is, option A is a stay where i'm at, keep working my job and build my business so i can get my place and move out. And option B, i put my business on hold and put all money to moving interstate by the end of the year.

The last couple years have been really tough on me where I am now, both physically and emotionally & i feel like I'm on the verge of just packing up and leaving, because I need to be in my own place & my own environment where I feel I'll be able to stay much more focused on my business without all the distractions and negativity im dealing with now...but at the same time I feel like if i put my business on hold for a bit to move out that I'll feel like im wasting time.

To be honest at this point in my life, i wanna do things at my own pace & i dont want to add more stress to my life. I just feel like its time for me to move back out in my own place interstate where I feel my whole self again, and I know that once i do that i can pick up business where i left off and it will grow 10 times faster than it is now because i'll be in a much better place...and im realising now after being back here for a couple years now that I never should've left interstate.

So yeah i'm just torn between moving back earlier with not as much income but be happier and just making it work which i know I will, verses sticking it out longer here bcoz i feel guilty about putting my business off but at the expense of not having my own independence which I know really need to get back.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, would love some insight...

Thanks heaps guys!

You know what you want to do, you've answered your own question.

You said that moving interstate (I'm Irish so I don't know what that means but no matter) will make you happier AND you will make the business work because you will be more focused. So..win win

As Charity has said, you know what you want to do and what will make you happier...

But...moving out to satisty your short term happiness will delay your long term happiness, perhaps for quite some time. You will struggle to get yourself back on your feet with the mortgage, still having to work full time to cover that and not putting as much time into your business as you could.

Sticking with your current situation, while not the best, will see you achieveing your business goals sooner, and putting you in an overall better position to move out and put a mortgage on a place of your own. Thus, a bit more short term unhappiness to make the long term happiness happen sooner.

It's ultimately your choice to make, but in my mind the better option is to wait.

What is it you're dealing with now where you currently are that's making it hard for you? I would need to know that before I could give you better advice. The other question to ask yourself is, is your budding business suffering for the stress now? Starting a new business and growing it take a lot of mental and emotional energy, if that's something you're losing or finding diverted over stress and upsets with a family member or your living situation then in the long run you may be better off to move.

Don't move just because you feel like at 32 you "ought" to be somewhere. Times have changed, old rules no longer apply, if it helps the relative and you both to stay put then why not stay a bit longer?

There's a lot I don't know, but I think if you do a list of pros and cons for each you'll come to the right choice.

I guess one of my main concerns is the money factor...while im investing as much as I can into growing my business, it's making it harder for me to save money for my house, and I don't make as much as I like where i work..my bills, food, shelter etc are all covered anyway so normally I wud think "live below ur means now, invest ur money in urself and grow ur business so u can have the things later on down the track".

I feel my gut is telling me I should take a break, save up everything and move back and start fresh in a new setting & get away from all the things around me that are making me depressed and unhappy, and i know i can move forward faster when im out on my own and have no distractions around me....but the other part of me feels guilty for taking a break from my business bcoz I set myself goals this year to get myself where I want to be.

I've sacrificed a lot up to this point, and im just not sure whether my current situation is enough to help push me to move my business forward. I just feel like if im on my own I can focus better and be in my own environment i'll move ahead much faster. Im just scared to do it because its uncertain, but its what my gut is telling me i need to do. I guess im just letting the fear of lack of enough money keep me trapped where I am now...

• 2 weeks later...

I guess one of my main concerns is the money factor...while im investing as much as I can into growing my business, it's making it harder for me to save money for my house, and I don't make as much as I like where i work..my bills, food, shelter etc are all covered anyway so normally I wud think "live below ur means now, invest ur money in urself and grow ur business so u can have the things later on down the track".

I feel my gut is telling me I should take a break, save up everything and move back and start fresh in a new setting & get away from all the things around me that are making me depressed and unhappy, and i know i can move forward faster when im out on my own and have no distractions around me....but the other part of me feels guilty for taking a break from my business bcoz I set myself goals this year to get myself where I want to be.

I've sacrificed a lot up to this point, and im just not sure whether my current situation is enough to help push me to move my business forward. I just feel like if im on my own I can focus better and be in my own environment i'll move ahead much faster. Im just scared to do it because its uncertain, but its what my gut is telling me i need to do. I guess im just letting the fear of lack of enough money keep me trapped where I am now...

Archived