Like a guy at my office and would like him to get interested

Not to burst your bubble, but dating people from work usually isn't the best idea -- unless you really don't care if you keep that job or not. There's a reason the saying "Don't get your honey where you get your money" exists.

Also, some companies have written policies that discourage or prohibit co-worker dating. Do you know what your company's policy is? You might want to check that before you make a decision on what you want to do.

All that being said, I've done the date a co-worker thing twice. One went ok, no one else ever knew about it, and when it ended we were both mature enough to be civil and polite about it. The other...ug-o-lee. It wasn't the only factor, but it was definitely a factor that resulted in me leaving a job I'd had for over 15 years.

If I had it to do over again, I'd keep a thicker wall between work life and personal life.

hey folks,

really appreciate your replies....

shes2smart, i found it really funny when you said ""Don't get your honey where you get your money" exists." I like the quote... anyways, to answer your question on company policy, I am not actually employed by the company per say, but I am contractor there. However, the guy in question sure is an employee and the company (I have heard, not sure) seems to have policies on dating other employees (but nothing is said about dating contractors....)

to the point of asking him for lunch or coffee, as i mentioned, knowing me, i dont think I could get myself to do that. Besides, is it wrong to expect the guy to make the first move???

Besides, is it wrong to expect the guy to make the first move???

It's not necessarily wrong, but it is hardly 'modern woman'. It is also somewhat self-defeating if he does not. You may miss out on a great relationship simply because you were not prepared to face the same risk of rejection that you seem to expect of him.

Aaaah, the 'ol, "I see a guy/girl in the hallways occasionally and I'd like to ask him/her out but I'm too shy" thread. I've gone through this same thing and I found out that no matter how much advice we get, the answer is right in front of our faces: ask him/her out.

Here's the thing. How? How do we muster up the courage? It's the workplace but you don't work with him, so that's in your favor. My best advice is to say a little more than "Hi" when you pass him in the hallway and get the conversation a little deeper so that you can "continue the conversation over lunch." I guess, to wrap up the convo in the hallway, say something like, "What are you doing for lunch?" or something like that.

I will say this. You should act as quickly as you can. I was in a similar situation, never got the courage, and the next thing you know POOF! She was gone.

Besides, is it wrong to expect the guy to make the first move???

You mentioned that you think he is shy. Two shy people = no first move = no date = missed opportunity. Trust me, I know. What have you got to lose except the opportunity to perhaps experience something wonderful.

Good luck!

Goodfriend,

Ask him if he wants to have lunch with you. You really need to do this or you will regret later. Don't be afraid of the rejection.

This is what happened to me last week and I hope it will give you some idea.

This girl joined the company a few weeks ago. One day she passed by my office, saw me and stopped. We talked for a few minutes. I was attracted to her the moment I saw her and I was thinking about asking her out but I was not sure because we just met.

She probably noticed that I liked her and to my biggest surprise, she asked me that if I would go out for lunch with her. We then had a very sweet time together during the lunch break. It happened that she also likes me a lot and we plan to have dinner together again.

She is a girl and she asked me out so spontaneously when she just met me. If she didn't come to my office, talked to me and asked me out, then we will probably still be strangers.

Go for it. The worst you could get is the answer of "no".

Passion