Disordered Eating :Facing the Problem: :Questions:

I have finally come to the conclusion that something is seriously wrong with my eating. I doubt DSMV would consider me anorexic but I certainly show the traits. For anyone thats been following my posts, they know I have been having a tough time with my eating habits. I am constantly reducing my daily intake and use the scale as my determining factor in all aspects of life. I have the desire to be perfect and when I eat more than 800 calories in a given day, I panic and hurt myself. I am NOT ready to speak with a counselor or nutritionist or even my own mother, as I see her as a contributing factor to how I eat. I do, however, have a question or more so several.

1. What is considered starvation and restricting?

2. How many calories are you actually supposed to be taking in? Mind you, I'm seventeen and about 5'5".

3. Is there a hotline I can call, I live in the states, that can maybe give me some comfort?

I'm more so disordered eating than eating disordered. Please don't rant and rave about how I should be locked up or how stupid I am being. I went through bulimia in middle school and was kicked off the track team because of it. I KNOW the health risks of COE, ANA, MIA, ect. I have lost one friend to eating disorders and nearly lost another girl. I know what can happen, so please don't list the health risks.

I KNOW there is a problem but I am NOT ready to completely confront it. Any advice or words of kindness or answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

=) Thanks a million

Here are the answers to your questions from a dietitian I know:

1. If your body mass index is less than 18% it is considered too low. Also if you are not eating at least 2/3 of your recommended calorie level you are in a starvation mode.

2. A girl your age and height should be consuming approximately 2000 calories per day. However if you are making yourself exercise or otherwise have a high activity level this would be higher.

3. I will look up a hotline and post it when I have it.

I hope this helps.

I just read your past posts. I don't get why beautiful girls make them self and are convinced they are big and have to go anorexic. I don't think anyone should put them self's to that stage its just totally tearing up your body from the inside out. I think maybe you should talk to a very close friend or a family member and see what they say and just try not to go too far in the anorexic it. My opinion in to far is like below 65 pounds. That's just totally horrible on your body at your age or what ever age. My post is probly not the best to help you out but someone else will answer with all the information you need. But I hope this information helps.

Ok here are two hotlines:

National Eating Disorder hotline: 800-931-2237

Anorexia Nervosa and Associate Disorders: 847-831-3438

Please give them a call. They will be very nice to you and help you understand what is going on with your body and how they might be able to help you.

If you need more help, please let me know and I will make some calls for you.

Thank you avman...

I'm going to give them a call tonight...If I can muster the courage to talk.

I know it sounds stupid but I have this fear that somehow they'll find out where I live and take me away. Or they'll think I'm so unworthy of their time. And the whole time...they'll think I'm a fat cow. How warped is that? I'm so completely stupid. But I'm so afraid of telling people in person or even saying the words, "I eat too little" outloud without taking a long look in the mirror and seeing how untrue that is. I should be thinner. I should be. I want to be. I don't...its so hard and confusing and I just...I'm so afraid of telling people and them thinking less of me or hating me. You know when a girl at my school found out I used to purge...you know what she said? "There are starving people all over the place and you stuffed your face and threw it all up. You're disgusting. You make me sick. All those starving people and you waste all that food." So now I don't even want it because if I end up purging Ill just be wasting the food so why eat it? I don't want it. I don't deserve it. Its so hard to explain and I know I'm not making any sense.

Thank you again...

The people on the hotline will not talk to you like that at all. Unlike some of your friends or possibly your family, they understand what you are going through. They work with people who have gone through this so they know that it hurts. They won't just come and take you away. They won't call you names. And they won't try to make you do anything you don't want to do.

I know it will take a great deal of courage to talk to them. Just start out really simple "Hi I'm so and so and I need someone to talk to". And then let them guide you. You are not the first person to call them. So they will understand that you are nervous and maybe don't trust them yet.

Just take it nice and slow. This will take some time to work through.

well i know that a diet of 1200 calories is for people who are trying to have dramatic weight loss in a short period. thats like the BARE MINIMUM. your obsession with your diet seems to be a problem and if you cna try and talk to someone. like avman said, a help hotline. it is important that your body image issues are attended to. pleas realize that you are beautiful, and im sureee that you have a distorted image of yourself. enjoy your life, its not about counting calories, its about taking care of yourself so you can enjoy what life gives you.

Girl, I know what you are going through and I am happy you realize it's not good. I hope you called someone. I have been anorexic and I survived it, it's a long story but one of hope. You can get out of there and live a healthy life.

It doesn't matter what is a degree of starvation. It sort of takes its own course without you noticing it, if you don't have counselling soon.

You can send me a pm to talk about things if you want. Email is better for the longer conversations. Feel free to use both of them, and stay strong girl. You're gonna be ok.

Ilse.

"You know when a girl at my school found out I used to purge...you know what she said? "There are starving people all over the place and you stuffed your face and threw it all up. You're disgusting. You make me sick. All those starving people and you waste all that food." So now I don't even want it because if I end up purging Ill just be wasting the food so why eat it? "

What you have is a condition and it's not something that many people can understand or even begin to reason with. I have been there I understand the guilt and the shame associated with it. I hope you called the hotline and talk talk talk all of it out. I hope by now you've realized that these poeple aren't going to judge. My revelation came when I realized that I can eat and not gain weight. That it takes 3500 extra calories to gain one pound of fat. That's a lot and if you are a balanced eater you won't gain the weight, and if you do...you can lose it just as quickly, especially when you are young. I am not going to insult your intelligence with anymore informatoin--if you're anything likeI was when I was going through this youve read it all...be patient with yourself--you will overcome this and the mirror will stop playing games with you.