Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Am I in the wrong here?

superkatnip

I need input regarding a situation I had this past weekend. SO and I were travelling this past weekend. We got free tickets last minute and were not able to find a hotel reservation as all were booked (huge music event. We did find an AirBNB (which I have never used before) about 25 miles away. I booked last Tuesday the the host was very communicative. We emailed/texted about 5 times before Saturday. I advised her that we might be in late and she sent me details of how to get into her gated community. On our way to the event Saturday, I texted her around 10:15 am asking if we might stop by between 11:30 am and 12 noon so we could see where we were going in the daylight. She said she was not home and it was not possible. I texted back fine, but that if possible, we would like to come by late afternoon, early evening, and then head back to our event. Again, to see where we were going in daylight as it is a fairly rural area. She did not respond to my 10:18 am text either way. I then texted her at 5:00 om with the same request. She did not respond, so we decided to go by the property and when we arrived found our names had not been given to the security gate staff for entry into the community. I then attempted to call her, and the call went to voicemail , but her mailbox was full. I then texted again saying that I was concerned as the gate did not have our names and asking if we did indeed have lodging for the evening. No response. I tried to call again at 6:30 pm with the same result (no pick up full voice mail). I texted two more times and even stopped by the security gate at 8:00 pm (for a total of over 90- minutes of unplanned driving) and our names were still not on their list. Long story short, no calls or text were returned and so we began a frantic search for other lodging. My last text to the host was a midnight. We were luck to finally find something and got into a room around 1:00 am and went to bed. I then received a voicemail ( I didn't get to phone in time) from the host asking us where we were. Frankly, she sounded drunk. I also received a text saying that she was calling the gate staff with my information immediately ... at 1:30 am. I was upset and decided not to communicate directly with her. I then opened an AirBnB request for refund, documenting screen shots of call logs and texts. The host has not gotten very mean saying that I broke our AGREEMENT by asking her to come by in the very early morning (noon?) and that she was out of state when I texted, that she doesn't want people "casing" her house and she lives in a gated community for a reason. WTH? All she needed to say is when she would be home, when we could stop by and that she did in fact tell share my details with the gate staff. I tried to reach her for over 6 hours before we booked another options, and she did not get back to me for over 8.5 hours. I have put in a claim, but am I wrong to be upset?

No, you aren't wrong. She should have and could have told you all of her "reasons" before you booked the trip. And if she's worried about people "casing" her place then why on earth is she even doing AirBnB? That makes zero sense.

Nope, tell them you want a full refund. Consult with an attorney if you have to do so, that's not acceptable.

She also could easily have told the guards at the gated community to only let you in at X, Y and Z times. Anyone who lives in a gated community knows to do that, so something doesn't add up.

Are you sure you were talking to the owner of the property?

but am I wrong to be upset?

No, this lady wasted your time and took your money. She sounds singularly unsuited to renting out her home. Make sure your complaint it handled and you get the refund. If you can leave a review of your experience with her on the website, do. I'm sure you're not the first couple who's trip she's ruined.

Well, it took a while, but finally got resolution. I received a complete refund and a "we're sorry" coupon from AirBnB. In the meantime, this woman found me on LinkedIn and contacted me at WORK saying I have damaged here ability to earn income through AirBnB! I gather they dumped her. She is unstable. I am actually glad we did not stay in her home. My attorney sent a letter demanding she stop all contact with me and noted that next steps will involve the authorities. I am sure this is not the usual AirBnB experience, but wow.

No, you aren't wrong. She should have and could have told you all of her "reasons" before you booked the trip. And if she's worried about people "casing" her place then why on earth is she even doing AirBnB? That makes zero sense.

Nope, tell them you want a full refund. Consult with an attorney if you have to do so, that's not acceptable.

She also could easily have told the guards at the gated community to only let you in at X, Y and Z times. Anyone who lives in a gated community knows to do that, so something doesn't add up.

Are you sure you were talking to the owner of the property?

I actually wonder if she was the owner or a family member/friend who lives their on the weekends. It is very common for NYC families (where she works) to set up addresses in Pocono area to just so teens can go to school out of the city, but often do not have adults there to monitor them. I am thinking this may have been a similar issue and she did not get back in from the City in time for our reservation.

Archived