Too soon to ask?

I've had a new position in my company for a few months. I was told that I wouldn't be responsible for my old work from my new boss. It turns out I'm still responsible for 75% of it. I agreed to a raise based on my responsibilities.

When I approached my boss regarding this, he said he'll include it in a bonus later on and that they're looking for someone to take on those jobs.

On one hand I've gotten several promotions since starting there. On the other hand I have gotten to see what the people around me make who are simply 9 to 5 and complain if they need to stay a minute longer. Some make more and don't even help with sales or cost cutting. I'm always there and always available and am known to be the go getter at my job. My old jobs that I still do have saves the company alot of money.

Is there anything I could do to improve my situation? I don't know what the bonus is and have already asked about it.

I busted my tail for a job once. I was working 12-18 hour days, 6 days a week, salaried. When raise and bonus season came around, I was told that they could tell my enthusiasm was dwindling and that I wasn't eligible for a raise and my bonus was reduced.

I was working so much harder than my peers in other positions. It was awful. At the end of the day, I wasn't rewarded for it.

They don't "owe" you anything. I think you have a right to say something, but tactfully. What is your manager like?

You should at least ask for details about the bonus. Don't be a sucker. Make a list of all of your responsibilities, old and new, so that you can be prepared to counter if need be. If your boss is not willing to make any promises, then you should rethink the value of working for him/her.

You can also get an offer from another company (or another department, depending on the size of your company) and present it to your current boss during your conversation about the bonus. This will also give you an option if the conversation proves fruitless.

If its only a few months and they are actively searching for a candidate, I would hang in there for a bit. I would ask them how the candidate search is going and if they have had any good resumes or if you have a suggestion about an applicant. Or I would ask what the bonus schedule would be.

How do you know how much your co workers make?

When I had an office job for a couple of years, for my sins, I made friends with a girl in accounts who told me everyone's salaries, including my boss. Also, she told me their raises. Although this is technically wrong and a breach, it happens quite a lot.

I busted my tail for a job once. I was working 12-18 hour days, 6 days a week, salaried. When raise and bonus season came around, I was told that they could tell my enthusiasm was dwindling and that I wasn't eligible for a raise and my bonus was reduced.

I was working so much harder than my peers in other positions. It was awful. At the end of the day, I wasn't rewarded for it.

They don't "owe" you anything. I think you have a right to say something, but tactfully. What is your manager like?

He recently gave someone a raise. I think he likes to feel in control of it. Like he does it when he wants. This person he gave it to recently complained that he had to stay until 5:10pm a few times. His job is less complicated, but he makes it seem like he's busy. My boss gave him a raise without him asking. He felt he'll be more motivated if he does.

I feel everyone knows each other in this business (I know of 3 people at my place looking for placement elsewhere from friends at these places, and I haven't been in this industry for too long)... it could backfire so unless I'm really serious I don't think it's wise. They're overall a good group of folks it's just frustrating that I bust hump and they know it yet they're not showing it $ wise.

Unfortunately for so many businesses, it's about the bottom line of accountancy rather than actually growing a healthy business.

This is not a business mentality. Business is an art, the "art of business", the "art of being a businessman" from which comes profit. Speculation in order to accumulate still to this day seems completely lost on some people. You can't just proclaim yourself as a businessman, an entrepreneur, a business, without being good at the art of business first. It's not a badge you can just pin on yourself out of nowhere.

They're always using these vaguely worded promises of raises and suchlike, then when the work's done, they claim some reason why they can't actually pay you, a recession, a bad year, this, that, whatever they can think of. Then when you take them up on it, the lack of paperwork to such effect leaves you without a leg to stand on.

If they need to pay you, they'll pay you. And if they don't need to, they won't.

If it was me and I valued a member of staff, I'd give them the damn raise. And their morale would raise in the meantime along with the quality and enthusiasm of their work, and therefore making me more money. Either that or don't talk about a raise in the first place.

So basically you work overtime for free and have shown them that's something you're cool doing. You set yourself up the moment you accepted the responsibilities without getting the raise in writing. And now you're spiteful toward your coworkers because they're better at asserting their boundaries than you are. You can scoff all you want at them, but they're working less and making more. Maybe take notes instead.

I bill every minute I'm on the clock without exception. If I wanted to volunteer my time and effort, there are a million more worthy causes than my job.

If you're going to put yourself out like that, the work itself needs to be fulfilling on its own or you need to make sure you're going to be compensated for it beforehand.

So is it too early to ask? Absolutely not. If anything, it might be too late. But before you raise a stink, I'd ask yourself if you're happy with your pay when you stop comparing yours to your coworkers. If you feel you're still benefiting the way things are, it's up to you to gauge if this is worth fighting for and if it may be more advantageous to consider the bonus a nice surprise if it happens.

Absolutely what j.man said.

My whole story: worked one year in the most intense role of my life. Dedicated weekends, evenings, holidays, everything (I didn't have a choice, the team was small and the CEO was on us). I told them I was getting worn down.

Like I said: no raise, small bonus (we had bonus standards so your bonus reflected performance. I got below middle level). When review time came around, I was told it was inappropriate to have asked for one specific Saturday off. I asked for it off because I was the only unmarried person on the team and had no support at home and I needed time for laundry. Yes, that's how busy I was - and they threw it in my face.

I was then moved to a slow position with an awful manager on a team that was actively being marketed for divestiture.

It was AWFUL. I hated my job - still - and I resented the company for throwing me out as they did. 7 months later, I was laid off and so happy for it. If I wasn't so polite, I would've walked out with both my fingers in the air.

My point is: this resentment progresses quickly and you can't undo it easily. The company owes you nothing. People suck, and they'll take advantage of you.

I suggest you quietly shop for another job. Even if you aren't serious about it, you'll have offers to use. And a backup plan if they tell you to shove it.

mustlovedogs ... that really sucks...I hope you found somewhere better to be!! I hear what u and j.man are saying... I'm looking to figure out when I can bring it up and how and just gauge the "crowd" as to what I did wrong and how I'm doing it wrong ... thanks for all the replies

Archived