Muscle Loss and Age

Went to the first crossfit introductory class today. It was really good.

We went over some of the moves and even did a mini workout: 9 minutes to do 21 pushups, 21 box jumps, 21 calories on the rowing machine, 15 pushups, 15 box jumps, 15 calories on the rowing machine, 9 pushups, 9 box jumps, 9 calories on the rowing machine.

I did beat the clock, but it was grueling and unnecessary. I have a hard time not competing. I really need to stop with that. I just want to learn to have a nice, relaxing workout.

I feel great.

Hopefully, I can get to sleep now!

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Went to the first crossfit introductory class today. It was really good.

We went over some of the moves and even did a mini workout: 9 minutes to do 21 pushups, 21 box jumps, 21 calories on the rowing machine, 15 pushups, 15 box jumps, 15 calories on the rowing machine, 9 pushups, 9 box jumps, 9 calories on the rowing machine.

I did beat the clock, but it was grueling and unnecessary. I have a hard time not competing. I really need to stop with that. I just want to learn to have a nice, relaxing workout.

I feel great.

Hopefully, I can get to sleep now!

Hooray!!! I love that feeling great after exercise feeling too. I try just to compete with myself -I'm like that too.

I had my second on-ramp crossfit class today. Horseback riding was first, so I'll probably be taking a nap today to allow my old body to recover.

The workout was intense, but I recover fast now. I think I have the spin classes to thank for that.

I think my stomach got stronger somehow.

The trainer said I could join the regular classes now, but I asked for a third on-ramp class. I just want to ease into the full workout.

I've also had a couple different teachers in the last few weeks. One of them is a very strict teacher. I've seen her yelling at her students in her classes. So when I got her, I was like uh-oh. But she was actually very complimentary of my riding, and said I'd be back up to speed in no time. She said my previous instructor from years ago did "a lovely job."

I had this same teacher again tonight. I requested her.

I've had three teachers since I started riding again. I'll call them Shirley, Vanessa, and Sue. Shirley was my first instructor. I get the impression that Shirley mainly instructs beginners. It's hard to say why. Maybe it's that she doesn't really push for more. She's mainly concerned about the basics. She is the one who put me on the longe line during my second lesson, when my legs were cooked from the first lesson.

One day, I got assigned to Vanessa. She did push me, and I liked the way she set things up. So, I stuck with her after that lesson.

Then one day, Vanessa didn't have an opening and they scheduled me with Sue. I was a little pensive because Sue YELLS at people and I didn't want to get yelled at. But actually, I really liked her. She's strict, just like my old teacher, and she pushes me.

My old teacher (from 5+ years ago) was brutal. She didn't go easy on anyone. You were not allowed to be scared. You had to suck it up and handle the situation even if your horse turned into a bucking bronco. No mercy. It made a good rider out of me.

After I took a lesson with Sue, I wanted to continue taking lessons with her. But I felt bad because I didn't want Vanessa to think that I liked Sue better. I realize this is silly, but it's how I felt. So, I stuck with Vanessa since then.

But tonight, I scheduled a lesson with Sue! Hee hee.

Tonight, my performance was not stellar. I am really out of shape. For the life of me, I could not get the horse to canter. It was a fairly new horse, and I was psyching myself out because I know I'm not up to par. I got so flustered that I wasn't even doing simple things correctly!

I could tell Sue was getting frustrated with me. But that's what I need! Someone to yell at me and tell me what I'm doing wrong. That's the only way I'll know how to fix it.

We worked on the canter for the last 10 minutes of the lesson. I got the horse to canter in the last five. She pretty much made me stay up in two point the whole time because I haven't developed the strength to keep my seat light. Also, I keep leaning back and that is sending mixed signals to the horse.

This horse takes a long time to warm up, and I think that's part of the problem. But once he's warm, he's peppy!

On the last two laps, Sue set up a cross rail and I jumped it. I'm surprised she did that. It was really out of the blue because I'm a wreck. The second time we jumped, my horse was really into it and sped up. I could hear Sue shouting "Whoa! Whoa!" but I went with it. I could feel he was going to do it right and he did.

So now my dilemma is how to deal with guilt I will feel for switching instructors. Because I really want to stay with Sue. She will whip me into shape.

It's kind of personal business. I would explain that it's simply a question of fit which I believe is really key even in choosing your horse, right (I feel like I've heard this). I know it's hard when it's a personal service but you have to do what's best for you.

I went to my first full-on crossfit class last Tuesday. We concentrated on snatches for most of the class, then did the workout. I started out with only the bar for the snatches, and at one point I over extended the weight behind me. My right shoulder kind of collapsed and I practically dropped the bar back over that shoulder. I heard this grotesque crunching sound. However, I felt no pain and was able to continue.

The work out portion was pretty brutal, but part of the reason for that was my failure to pace myself during the run. I need to not sprint. It's not a race. But I got through everything ok. The next day, my right shoulder felt a little stiff with possibly a tiny little bit of generalized pain. It was enough to make me stretch it and rotate it from time to time, through out the day. I know I looked weird doing that in my office. Ha ha.

The next morning, my shoulder felt more solid when I woke up. I'm going to have to watch it. My arms and shoulders are very flexible, and obviously my right shoulder doesn't know where to stop. I have to be careful and get the motion right before I add significant weight, or I can really hurt myself.

The people at my old crossfit gym were in way better shape than the people in this crossfit gym. However, that's because most of the people in my old crossfit gym were super rich and spent significant amounts of time with personal trainers outside of the gym. I like this gym because I'm not up against women who are throwing 125 lbs over their heads like it's nothing. Yes, it would be cool to be there, but my competitive nature tries to get me there all at once. That is the way to injury.

I've decided that I will do a once per week thing until I have a handle on the workouts. Probably a month. Then I will increase to twice a week. Then more. But, I can't just dive right in.

It's similar for horseback riding. Last week, I did pretty well. Today, I struggled. I just don't have the leg power any more. I have to build it back up and it's taking more time than I'm used to. But I like a challenge.

• 1 month later...

I missed a bunch of weeks at crossfit due to my job transition upheaval. It sucks to pay for something that you're not using. But I started going again about a month ago. I forced myself to make time for it one night per week. Despite this effort, I still skipped last week. So, the plan this week is to go twice. I went to a class tonight, and I plan to go to the second class on Friday.

I really kicked my own ass tonight. I didn't mean to do that.

I would like to ramp up slowly, so that I don't kill myself or get an injury. For the first four weeks, I was going to go once per week. For the second four weeks, I was going to go twice per week. After that, I would start taking three or four classes per week. I don't think that I should go more than four times per week.

A big challenge is going to be finding the time. Last week, I forewent crossfit so that I could devote more time to my beloved yet infernal project at work. If I plan to take three or four classes per week, I may have to do a lot of juggling.

I haven't gone horseback riding in probably two months. I haven't had the time. But I also have mixed feelings about the place that I've been going to. They are very good, but the stable is very focused on teenagers and college equestrian teams. I am getting private lessons, but there are usually three or four instructors in the ring at every session, each with students of their own. I'm fine riding with other people--I prefer it in fact. The problem is that the instructors chit chat with each other. And when there is an IEA event, forget about it. The whole stable becomes hyperfocused on the event and the instructors are totally distracted.

I can't blame them. Obviously these competitions are the stable's bread and butter. But I am not getting the level of attention that I am accustomed to--especially when taking a private lesson. At my last stable, I took group lessons and I received way more attention. Also, this stable does not put much emphasis on the sitting trot at all. It seems to be all posting trot and canter. The sitting trot is really important for building balance, strength, and endurance.

So, when I do start riding again, I may go to a different place. It sucks because this place has so much to offer. But it seems like you have to be a kid to reap the benefits.

Despite a very busy and stressful day at work, I made it to Crossfit tonight as planned. Today's weight lifting exercises were dead lifts and bench press. I was able to bench press 75lbs a couple times in the beginning, but after that I stuck with 55 and 65 lbs. Last time I was in Crossfit, it didn't take long for me to get up to 90 lbs.

For dead lifts, I used 85lbs, but I think I can probably get up to 110 pretty fast. I get strong fast.

There was quite a bit of jump roping in class today. In the past, I've had issues with my feet and ankles that were exacerbated by high-impact activity. They used to hurt when I got out of bed in the morning. I recently realized that I haven't felt that pain in a long time, and I'm wondering if it was caused by horseback riding. Your knees and ankles act as shock absorbers when you ride a horse. I wonder if that pain was a repetitive use injury. I used to ride once or twice per week for a solid 14 years.

Despite a very busy and stressful day at work, I made it to Crossfit tonight as planned. Today's weight lifting exercises were dead lifts and bench press. I was able to bench press 75lbs a couple times in the beginning, but after that I stuck with 55 and 65 lbs. Last time I was in Crossfit, it didn't take long for me to get up to 90 lbs.

For dead lifts, I used 85lbs, but I think I can probably get up to 110 pretty fast. I get strong fast.

There was quite a bit of jump roping in class today. In the past, I've had issues with my feet and ankles that were exacerbated by high-impact activity. They used to hurt when I got out of bed in the morning. I recently realized that I haven't felt that pain in a long time, and I'm wondering if it was caused by horseback riding. Your knees and ankles act as shock absorbers when you ride a horse. I wonder if that pain was a repetitive use injury. I used to ride once or twice per week for a solid 14 years.

Good for you for going!!

Thank you :)

I must have got myself good, because I just housed a box of cheerios.

I remember having similar extreme carb cravings the last time I did Crossfit. One day at work, I ate four bagels! Four!!!

I can't even eat one anymore really or I pay dearly (meaning digestive issues not weight gain). Seriously -good for you. I had to do my back up workout today because I'm solo parenting and the only way I get motivated is to do it ASAP after breakfast (which is very early as my son is an early riser). So I'm with you! And yes on the carb cravings!

Yesterday, the temperature was in the 90s. I thought they'd go easy on us at crossfit, but no such luck. I forgot these people love pain.

I think yesterday's was the most brutal workout to date. It was ridiculous. First we had to row 750M. Then carry a 25lb weight over our heads for 200M. Then we had to do the ski machine for 25 calories. Then we had to carry a 15lb weight for 400M. Then we had to do 50 burpees. Then we had to carry the 15lb weight for 600M. Then we had to do 70 kettle bell swings. Then we had to carry the 15lb weight for 800M. Then we had to climb a rope and touch the ceiling girders 7 times.

I did not finish. I ran out of time at the kettle bell. But I got a great workout.

I aimed to do all 50 burpees, but I think I only did about 30. I lost count somewhere. At first, I did bursts of 5. But then my heart started really pounding, so I reduced it to sets of 3. Then even those got hard. But I kept going until I finally felt a burn in my triceps.

I'm not terribly sore today, so I guess I am getting conditioned.

Yesterday, the temperature was in the 90s. I thought they'd go easy on us at crossfit, but no such luck. I forgot these people love pain.

I think yesterday's was the most brutal workout to date. It was ridiculous. First we had to row 750M. Then carry a 25lb weight over our heads for 200M. Then we had to do the ski machine for 25 calories. Then we had to carry a 15lb weight for 400M. Then we had to do 50 burpees. Then we had to carry the 15lb weight for 600M. Then we had to do 70 kettle bell swings. Then we had to carry the 15lb weight for 800M. Then we had to climb a rope and touch the ceiling girders 7 times.

I did not finish. I ran out of time at the kettle bell. But I got a great workout.

I aimed to do all 50 burpees, but I think I only did about 30. I lost count somewhere. At first, I did bursts of 5. But then my heart started really pounding, so I reduced it to sets of 3. Then even those got hard. But I kept going until I finally felt a burn in my triceps.

I'm not terribly sore today, so I guess I am getting conditioned.

Haha I call it Bikram’s CrossFit at this time of year... like why I even bother with the pretence of wearing a shirt to the gym I have no idea... it comes off as soon as we finish the warm up lol

On a more serious note I go through a very similar situation if I am not CrossFitting regularly, I lose strength and muscle so quickly! And at 46 it takes me so much longer to recover which can be very annoying lol

I have come to accept there will be ebbs and flows in my routine, and that I am one of those people that has a life outside the gym... I’ve been pretty consistent with it for the last few years but sometimes life gets in the way!

I’ve been pretty consistent with it for the last few years but sometimes life gets in the way!

Indeed it does. I'm trying to build it into my schedule slowly, both to avoid injury and to develop a sustainable habit. But it is challenging because time is precious.

I do like this place more than the last place that I went, and that is a plus. I respect their way of doing things. They make a point at the beginning of each class to do light shoulder workouts, stretches, and rolling of trigger points. Then they beat the sh*t out of you. But almost all of the women can climb ropes all the way up to the ceiling--repeatedly. And they can do pull ups, too. At my last crossfit gym, everybody looked like a super athlete, but the success rate for women and rope-climbs or pull ups was much, much lower. At this crossfit, they develop you. not everyone looks like a super athlete, but most are strong as hell.

• 2 weeks later...

Do to my overwhelming work schedule, I only made it to crossfit once per week for the last two weeks. This week, I hope to get there twice. I went tonight, so I'm off to a good start.

There was an EMOM tonight, which stands for "Every minute on the minute." It started with 4 burpees over the bar, and for the rest of the each minute we had to complete 20 of each of the following: Thrusters , Deadlift, Push Jerks, Overhead Squats, and Front Squats. Every time a minute passed, we had to stop what we were doing, do the four burpees and jumps, and then resume where we'd left off.

I made it to overhead squats then (thankfully) ran out of time. The burpees killed me. After the first four, and then the thrusters, I was totally winded. I was concentrating on doing really good burpees, holding the plank all the way down and up, not breaking at the pelvis. But it was too much, and I started to fall behind on the workout. Which is fine, I don't want to race other people. But I do want to hit all of the exercises.

I needed to scale the workout differently, so that I could complete the whole thing without breaking my form and skimping on the exercise. So, after doing like 6 minutes straight of burpees, I switched to doing just one burpee each minute. That way, I was able to progress through the rest of the exercises. I think I need to adopt this procedure moving forward, as well.

I always feel great after the crossfit workout. I wish I could do it every day, but I don't yet have the strength or the energy. I like when I am able to tune out the competition and concentrate on executing the movements.

• 3 weeks later...

I went horseback riding at my old school today. It is an hour's drive both ways, but it was worth it. They put me on a good horse, not a slug. It was nice seeing old faces, too. I forgot that I'd made friends there. I watched children grow up there and become adults. Sharing a common interest is such a nice way to form friendships.

I plan to continue going there most weekends, and then to the new place (where I started in January) once or twice per month. The new school does have something to offer, and I don't want to lose that benefit. But they don't have the rigor and consistency of my old teacher. They are also pretty much obsessed with competing. They train teenagers for IEA competitions and they also train the equestrian teams of two major universities in the area. The problem is, they are hyperfocused on these kids and their competitions, and someone like me doesn't benefit there as much as I do at my old school, where the teacher isn't busy gossiping to the other teachers about some kids while I'm getting my lesson.

I think a combination of my old place and the new place will be good.

I discovered that a woman at my job loves horses and has always wanted to ride. I told her about these two schools that I know, and she expressed interest in carpooling to one. She's never been on a horse and isn't in the greatest shape. I don't know if she's going to enjoy it after she experiences the reality of riding. But, it's worth a shot!

I discovered that a woman at my job loves horses and has always wanted to ride. I told her about these two schools that I know, and she expressed interest in carpooling to one. She's never been on a horse and isn't in the greatest shape. I don't know if she's going to enjoy it after she experiences the reality of riding. But, it's worth a shot!

Yes, definitely and a great way to get to know her better "of course of course..."

My crossfit attendance has been spotty. I try to go at least once per week, but last week I did not go at all. Ideally, I would like to be going two times per week at this point. But I can't overload myself or I will get sick.

Tomorrow, I am taking my coworker to my old riding school--weather permitting. I'm excited for her to take a lesson. It turns out she has been on a horse a couple of times, so it won't be a brand new experience for her. However, sitting on a horse a couple of times doesn't make you a rider. I found out that she takes tennis lessons regularly, so she may be in better shape than I first assumed. I hope so, because the reality of horseback riding is pretty harsh. A horse is a huge, stinky, farting, pissing, sh*tting beast with a mind of its own and it's easily 20 times stronger than you are. Learning to ride is a major test of character. But when you love it, you love it. I hope she loves it, but I won't be surprised if she doesn't!

My coworker (Samira) enjoyed her horseback riding lesson and plans to go back next week. She's going to bring both her parents and her husband, LOL.

Saturday's lesson got off to a rough start. Samira misread my text and thought we were meeting at 7:15, not 6:45. She arrived just minutes before her lesson began and I didn't have any time to help her because my own lesson was starting. Samira's lesson ended before mine. She stuck around and chatted with the instructor until my lesson was over. When I came out of the corral with the horse Samira practically lunged at it, wanting to pet its neck and hug it! I've never seen such an enthusiastic adult!

I figured she'd probably want to brush the horse, so after I took off the bridle and saddle I went and got some brushes. But stupid me forgot to close the stall door and the horse wandered out! Fortunately, she was easy to catch, but I almost died. I put her back in the stall and started to show Samira how to brush her. But the horse pinned her ears back the moment the brush touched her side and I realized that brushing her was not a good idea.

When I told Samira that the horse was getting pissed, Samira once again practically lunged at the horse to pet her neck and apologize. It was quite stressful to watch, knowing that the horse could easily kick her. Samira doesn't have any concept of how dangerous a horse can be. I did try to explain it to her, but my efforts were drowned out by her enthusiasm. She thinks a horse is like a person or a dog, and it's nothing like either. Fortunately, the horse stayed calm.

Archived