Resigning, will I burn any bridges?

fr0z3n

I don't think they can do that, there are still projects ahead and I don't have a replacement yet.

In my line of work, if I have a problem employee give me notice it is accepted immediately. And depending on work places, there is the assumption you will be a liability being you are a short timer, so they accept regardless of any other thoughts.

Might want to make sure. And recognize, jobs can be hard to come by these days. Always have a plan!

• 1 year later...

I want to bump this thread to give you an update.

October last year, 10 months after I resigned, I am now here in Saudi Arabia working in one of the biggest oil company in the world. Also I had a 5 month job in between my resignation and my deployment here in KSA.

I really wanted to thank @mhowe from the bottom of my heart. I did all of his advise and realized that it really is true. Apart from not burning any bridges, I managed to leave the company with dignity and no drama. Specially her advise with the resignation letter and exit interview, it went side by side. If I made a drama on my resignation letter, during the exit interview I don't have any choice but to stick with it. But since I followed her advise, I managed to manipulate my exit (i.e. my reasons, my plans) on my own terms. They did not even suspected me that I know their plans and allegations about me, and I just acted cool. I also managed to get all of my employment references and it also seems like they are embarassed of what they thinked of me and that they realized that they did something wrong (well except for the crazy owner). Also after I resigned, 2 of my senior colleagues also resigned which made them realize more that there is a problem with their management. Also my turn over only lasted for 2 weeks.

Thank you very much guys. Also with this experience, I now believe that no matter how bad things currently are, you never know what's in store for you. If this thing didn't happened, I'm still in the Philippines struggling in that company.

Your welcome chitown. If I didn't had a second thoughts about my resignation that time, I will not go here and more probably that exit will not be that good. And also, that resignation is a huge risk as I resigned without any job offer at hand. I'm really amazed how things went smoothly after that, for the whole month after I left I got a side project which allowed me to pay the bills and provide food for the next 2 months then I got a job after that and also I was hired in the company that I'm with now. The process took 5 months that's why I stayed that long in my previous company, at least the job is related in my field and it pays the bill much better than the one I'm in as of the time that I created this thread. Now in my current company I'm practicing my specialization with a great pay.

Archived