So I have been aware for quite some time that I suffer from anxiety. Social anxiety is probably the biggest part that I struggle with, but it affects me in other ways as well. The only person I have really talked to about it at all is my boyfriend. And while he is very supportive and listens whenever I need him to, that really isn't always enough. He suggested that maybe I should see a therapist: someone who could be an objective party and help me work through it better than he or anyone else probably could. However, aside from being a little weirded out by telling a complete stranger all the personal details of my life, therapy is also usually pretty expensive. My insurance would cover most of it, but even still I don't really make enough money to toss a lot of it out the window for an hour a week of sitting on someone's couch. Does anyone else have any ways that they know of to cope with anxiety? Any constructive suggestions would be great.

You could see a psychiatrist. I had some major issues a year or so ago and saw one. I think with my insurance it was like $35 for the visit, and the Xanax she prescribed cost me nothing because it was a generic. She didn't grill me or anything, I told her about how I'd been feeling and she wrote me a prescription. The Xanax chilled me out enough and I could read books and do exercises to work through the issues that caused me anxiety in the meantime. Eventually I got off the Xanax and the work I did in the meantime helped change my perception.

I hope you are well, Sammy. Social anxiety is a difficult condition. It is often coupled with depression. I am glad your boyfriend is supportive. You both need counseling to ensure he understands the why about your anxiety and how it effects you. Medication and proper diet can be helpful. There are many websites that help with social anxiety issues, too. Anything I can do to help you and your boyfriend, please ask.

Definitely try some therapy, make it a priority finance-wise. Is there other things you can cut back on for a while so you can invest in therapy?

Also, Google is your friend. There's a lot of information out there so you can perhaps try to do some work by yourself.

I'm glad your bf is supportive.

A) you need to figure out what EXACTLY is making you anxious.

B) do opposite of what you think. For example, if "lots of people" make you anxious, FACE YOUR FEAR and be around lots of people, until the anxiety is gone.

You need to face your fears HEAD ON. In time, those fears go away and it becomes the NORM.

I don't care if you go to a therapist, get help or whatever....at the end of the day YOU are the one that will have to do above regardless! No one will do it for you, but they will be glad/happy to take your money to tell you above.

What you REALLY need to ask yourself is "social" is even your thing. So often in our life we think that "we shoudl be social" and "be around people/get along" and all of that crap. I've actually been in your shoes and have gotten to a point where I'm 100% completely comfortable, heck I even thrive in those environments now. My confidence is thru the roof and I can talk/stand in front of 100s of people no problem.

What I'm trying to tell you is getting OVER that anxiety, might not really gain you anything. Because I see 0 value added to my life or benefit from accomplishing above. Heck, being around people in general is really not very appealing to me AT ALL. Quite opposite, I find peace/quite and being along (or loved ones)....out in nature FAR AWAY from civilization to be way more appealing.

So I have been aware for quite some time that I suffer from anxiety. Social anxiety is probably the biggest part that I struggle with, but it affects me in other ways as well. The only person I have really talked to about it at all is my boyfriend. And while he is very supportive and listens whenever I need him to, that really isn't always enough. He suggested that maybe I should see a therapist: someone who could be an objective party and help me work through it better than he or anyone else probably could. However, aside from being a little weirded out by telling a complete stranger all the personal details of my life, therapy is also usually pretty expensive. My insurance would cover most of it, but even still I don't really make enough money to toss a lot of it out the window for an hour a week of sitting on someone's couch. Does anyone else have any ways that they know of to cope with anxiety? Any constructive suggestions would be great.

Quote from a therapist: "Interesting how people can figure out a dozen ways to buy a new couch, even they already have a perfectly good one. But when it comes to therapy they'll give a million and one reasons as to why they can't afford it"

Basically, if you want to do it you'll find a way.

Archived