Didn't give praise where praise was due, now a problem.

Coily

Well the tag says it all. This past weekend I and a group of friends did an educational program for the public, and while I head the organization another member (J) came up with a lot of great ideas that we used. I thanked the group for coming, and how well we together did publicly; and privately I thanks those for their individual ideas and contributions. I am not comfortable with getting public thanks and recognition, so I project it on others. After some social media discussion where our group received praise, I mentioned that it was a group effort and that everyone made this work.

J came to me privately and said that he was disappointed and saddened about the "group effort" comment. I have apologized to him, and publicly to the group for omitting praise for his contribution. But I feel that it will be seen as over compensation by J, rather than genuine guilt on my part for not saying more.

Should I wait a bit for things to cool, or should I make more public comments about his contribution? I see this as a personal failure and it is upsetting to see someone go from euphoria to saddened and not feeling part of the team.

Just let them know who the creator/contributor wants....if that's what will float his boat. People like to take credit for ideas and be appreciated for them.

Learn to do it on the spot next time, especially if someone is so overly sensitive on the issue hehe

Send a email/group text to everyone, including him, saying how you nervously omitted mentioning how much POUT BOY did to make the event a success.

Exactly...

IMO you've already apologized and publicly corrected your "mistake." In the future be sure to shower him with public praise for his part of the effort.

Archived