Any Professors?

I am currently an office manager/HR (its a small company, so I guess a little of everything?) and am finishing my degree. In efforts to focus on something other than my breakup, I'm trying to set new goals for myself. I have toyed with the idea of going on past a bachelor's, but I haven't really decided if it would be what I really want. Anyway, I wouldn't want to be a full time professor, but maybe teach a couple of courses a year either at a university or a community college for supplemental income. Does anyone do this and or have insight into it?

To be an adjunct teacher you really only need a Master's Degree I think, depending on how saturated that field is with people who have Ph.D.'s.

If you're thinking Ph.D. I'd talk to some people in the field and consider if you are really passionate about doing research. If not, I don't think there's much value in going beyond Masters.

I'd suggest thinking in more precise terms what you'd like to with the degree and your career.

Doctorals are great in some fields, especially if you plan to do lots of research. In other fields your career options could be just fine without investing so much time and effort.

Maybe it varies...people are saying Masters but I wasn't a candidate for the prof.positions with a Masters- am an assistant at Uni. Is that something you'd like? It does leave more time for research if you still want to work on a Doctoral.

I definitely don't have the passion or patience for for a Ph.D. A Master's is probably all I'd have a desire to earn. I was wondering about what people did or didn't like about it, If they chose the specific content they taught in a course or if it was pretty laid out already, How much time is really involved in teaching a course (for instance if I made 2000 for one course, but had to spend countless hours doing it, it might not be worth it) etc. Obviously having taken college courses I know how it works on the student side, but was curious about the professor's perspective.

The curriculum is partially dictated by the school, though much is open to the professors' "taste".

You purchase/adopt a text book or on line resource.

It's a lot of work. Most teachers don't do it for the pay, they do it for the passion of teaching. In addition to the classroom time itself, there are office hours, etc. to be factored in, along with grading of papers, etc.

It sounds like you're looking for a fun hobby to make some extra cash.

If this is the case, step far...far away from being an adjunct professor. A few family friends did that...

The pay is blah

The hours are blah

The administration usually puts you in where is good for them

It's rewarding, but it doesn't sound like you're looking for rewarding but rather how can I make a few extra bucks with a Master's.

I'm assuming you're in the US...

from a strictly financial point of view, it's going to take a lot of classes to pay off your $50k debt, unless you have a scholarship or family is paying your way.

I'm a community college professor, full-time. I have only a Master's Degree. Some universities will hire part-timers who only have M.A.'s (I taught at one back before I got my full-time job). Full-time jobs -- at community colleges AND universities, are nearly impossible to come by these days (I've had my full-time job for 15 years, and I got it back when things are better in academia in terms of jobs). I think part-time teaching is a good job, provided that you are NOT trying to make a living off of it. If you are using it to supplement existing income, I think it's fine. The pay and hours really depend on where you are and what's available. I made about $1000/month teaching two classes at one school (back in the late 90's, so I think it's more now), and while I sometimes got terrible class times (7:30 a.m., 7:00 p.m., even weekends a few times) mostly I got pretty decent stuff.

It is, as mhowe said, a lot of work. I'm exhausted a lot of the time, even over the summer, when I only teach two classes. But, it is rewarding. It really depends on how much other income you make, how much you would want/need to make from part-time teaching and how much time you want to dedicate.

I would never recommend adjunct teaching as a career. I know at TON of people who got into it thinking they'd get a full-time job, and 20 years later, they're still cobbling together a living by teaching at 2, 3, or 4 schools. I did it for a few years, back in my 20's (three different schools), but would never do it now that I'm older!

Thanks! I wouldn't plan on adjunct teaching as my career, just as an extra on top of my career. I do think it would be fun, but not if it took so much time (on top of my career) that it stressed me out. I'm just looking at different options and trying to set new goals for myself, and didn't really know much about this.

Archived