Recently I met a new guy that I ended up letting myself get too excited about too soon. We met at a week long work conference and spent most of the time in each other's company getting to know each other between breaks, having lunches with each other, etc. At the end of the week we exchanged contact info to stay in touch, and I made my way home with the biggest smile on my face that I'm sure left behind some wrinkles. His interest initially seemed strong, so I was extremely excited about this potential match, but he's cooled off and I am left with a broken heart yet again. I'm emotionally drained from this constant cycle of meet cool new person, open myself up when I sense compatibility, deal with inevitable rejection. It hurts my heart and brings tears to my eyes and makes me feel like I should just start to accept being alone.

No big deal. Are you sure its over? Maybe he got busy? Maybe he's playing it cool?Maybe he got scared? Rejection stings but at least you put yourself out there. Trust has to be built over time although its definitley hard to not get excited about a new relationship. Just step back, regroup, maybe analyze it when the sting has faded, and get back to it.

Thank you all for the messages. My worry started because I didn't hear from him this weekend. I get that it was a busy holiday, but I also get that people have their phones in their hand or on them at all times, and if he really wanted to keep in touch then he would. Also I was the last to initiate contact, and so far it's been in that good 50/50 range, so I don't want to overstep eagerness.

Remember guys want a challenge. Alas some call it games but not going gaga right away or at least not expressing it has a role until trust can be established.

I think this is a myth. There's enough challenges in life without treating women like challenges. I suppose some guys probably like it. That's probably fueled by ego, not good intentions.

Going gaga early may frighten some people off. It's best when you connect with someone that goes at the same speed.

OP I think we all get a little excited. You just have to set more realistic expectations. Don't get ahead of yourself. Remember, most people you meet will not be a match. That's the same for everyone.

Archived