17 and moving to australia alone, where do i start.

QTpie87

hey people,

well i just overheard my mother and grandmother arguing over who had to have me once again. earlier in the school year they wanted to send me to the state. i don't understand why they hate me so much!

they have finally decided to let me leave when i graduate in june, but it's not even a real graduation, im going to home school and the lady isn't certified by the state so i have to take my GED, however she still gives us a deploma from her but it doesn't really count for anything serious.

so I have decided that i will tell my teacher tomorrow to just help me be ready for the GED so i can get out sooner.

i was already planning on moving but not until November, now it's asap.

Im want to move to Australia, but have no clue how to get there or have the money to do it. I want to attend beauty college so thats what i would be doing up there on top of having a job. My main problem is not knowing first how to get affordable insurence, i have A LOT of meds i have to take for my diabetis. the second problem would be getting to the right school and a place to live. Does any older people have any helpful suggestions for me?

thanks,

Qtpie87

I spent six months living in Oz last year. Wonderful country and very friendly people.

First off, find out about visa options. There's some good information at immi.gov.au/ including the possibility of buying visas online. I think they have study visas, however I'm not sure what the restrictions on working would be for that visa. Contact beauty colleges and check with them if they can provide any support with visa applications/recommendations.

Australia has Medicare, which is pretty much free health care. However, you can also buy private health care. Check if your country has a reciprocal agreement with the Australian government. As a UK citizen, the British NHS and Aussie Medicare have an agreement so I had free cover. There might also be support for people with certain medical conditions.

As for accommodation, check with the colleges first. If you're going to live in Sydney, I can recommend somewhere you can stay which should give you time to do some proper accommodation hunting when you're in the country.

Hope that gives you a starting point. Good luck and have fun!

Hi Qtpie,

You willnot have access to Medicare if you are coming from the US. There is no reciprocal agreement. There is an insurance company here called Medibank thats sells medical insurance to overseas students. You should go to one of their branches when you get here. Bring proof of your medical coverage from the US.

I am not sure what you mean by good schools? Do you mean beauty schools? I don't know I guess the best palce to start would be the internet. Do an advanced Google search and use the ".au" so you get only Australian entries.

How do you get here? Well obviously you have to fly. I don't know what the airfares are from the US but if I were to go there it would cost about $1500 return.

As for a place to stay, where are you going...Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane? Each will have cheap student accommodation, again start with Google. Are you over 18? If so you should be easily able to get part time work in a bar or restaurant. It is very easy for overseas students to get casual work here.

Good luck.

• 6 years later...

Archived