Hello. Today, I started fasting. Yes, I know: very unhealthy. But it is something I'm going to do, so please just read this and try to answer my questions.

It's about 10:15 pm, I haven't eaten anything today besides crackers. I was feeling sick, so I ate a few, but that made me throw up. I took a cold bath etc. etc. then tried eating some crackers again...I threw up again.

My question is: If I'm not eating, am I always going to continue to feel sick, and get sick if I try to eat anything. It seems strange to me, considering this is the first day I've done this and already I can't keep anything down. Please explain this to me.

Also, I took my birth control pill and anti-depressant right after I got home from school, probably around 4 maybe. Did my pills have time to get into my body, or am I increasing my chances of getting pregnant bc I'm getting sick?

Empty

u know i had a eating disorder for about 2 years. and u kno i was at my lowest weighing in at 90 lbs. but the fact is is that it almost killed me. i was pasted out on my sisters floor and thought that this was the end. when ur lying there wondering why u put urseld through all of this u will kno that u dont respect and love urself for who u are. and if u cant do that u wont be able to love anyone else. u wanna kno what happened to me i would take this pills about i think 4 a day and exercise non stop and only eat like a few things at night along with some fruit but i would exerise it off. and u kno what this kills. it takes over ur body controls ur mind and way of thinking and if ur in this long enough and u let it control u , whenu go come out alive u will have awful memorys and be faced with depression. im serious this is nothing to play around with. ive been through it all. and no the pain never goes away, not unless u change ur ways u gotta make a change. i kno ur prolly thinking oo wha does she kno. but im i kno alot more then u think. i went through so much if u need me pm me. im always here. i can help u!! i know way more then u could imagine. just dont keep goin in this direction that i did, cuz once u try to stop u gain all the weight u lost.

I'm not sure WHY you are "fasting" as you called it. Is your inability to eat self-induced? Or are you simply having trouble keeping food down, and because of that you're avoiding eating? You definitely need to keep your body hydrated, especially if you're throwing up frequently. Also, beware with your medications. If they need to be taken with food, then you're just making your situation worse by not eating and still taking the meds.

There are healthy ways to fast. Try a juice fast. Or a fruit fast. Basically fasting is used to clear your system of toxins. Crackers are having an adverse affect because it's too much for your digestive system. Have a glass of juice or eat some grapes.

Not all fasting is bad, but there are bad ways to fast.

I had a simular problem when I split up with my ex boyfriend. It's a little different but pratically the same thing. I stopped wanting to eat and everytime I tried to force myself to eat something it made me feel sick. It can really mess your body up especially if you are already ill. Still 6 months down the line I have huge problems eating anything because it makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. I've been to the doctor about it and taken tablets but half the time they don't work. I wouldn't mess your body up by not eating, just have something small 3 times a day.

Try not to throw up. I know it's hard but just go to sleep or something because you need to keep the nutrients in your body not throw them up. All fasting is bad for you and if it's to lose weight then your only going to put it all back on when you start eating again. You should eat the right things to lose weight not starve yourself.

Well thats my piece. I hope it helps you a little.

GL,

~S.

I took my birth control pill and anti-depressant right after I got home from school, probably around 4 maybe. Did my pills have time to get into my body, or am I increasing my chances of getting pregnant bc I'm getting sick?

You do increase your chances of getting pregnant if you are vomiting. You should use a back-up method of birth control such as a condom until you are well again. I've been on the pill for a while- and every print-out I've ever gotten with my prescription warned against the pill losing effectiveness if you "vomit or have diarrhea". It doesn't get into your system properly, just like you mentioned.

I don't know why you'd be fasting- If you have a stomach virus then fine- it makes sense not to eat until you're better. Just be sure to keep hydrated as the others suggested- you can lose a lot of electrolytes in your body and get very sick otherwise. If its a stomach virus and it keeps up- be sure to contact a doctor. I don't want to scare you- but if you lose too much energy, you could faint and end up needing an IV.

I hope you are not fasting for weight loss purposes or for self-injury. If that is the reason, you should talk to a trusted adult or counselor ASAP. That is very dangerous. Did you know at age 15- it's one of the most important times for your body to grow and to build the bone mass your body will have for the rest of your life? If you're not getting your calcium and other essential nutrients, you can really put your health at risk, both now and in the future.

Your post really worries me.

Please let us know how you are doing.

-BellaDonna

*sigh* Being honest: I am fasting for weight loss purposes, and as a form of self-destructive behavior. I recently decided to stop cutting so that probably gave me the final push to be able to handle not eating. I do eat SOME, just very little. Today is my 2nd day of limited food, I haven't thrown up, and I ate more than yesterday, then went and did jumping jacks, stretches, pushups, and situps. My head hurts a little and I'm low on energy, but I'm okay. Please don't try to get me to stop, I get a rush out of doing things like this, and I will continue to do it. I was just curious as to why, on only my 1st day of not eating, I was already so sick.

Empty

EmptySoul,

Being honest: I am fasting for weight loss purposes

Starving yourself is actually counter-productive to weight loss. Your body has a built-in, innate tendency and a survival mode of storing fat if it thinks it's starving to death. So ultimately, you'll mess up your metabolism, and then gain more weight tha nusual once you go back to eating normally.

I was just curious as to why, on only my 1st day of not eating, I was already so sick.

Because you're making yourself sick by starvign and then taking pills on an empty stomach.

I hope you start eating mroe soon.

BellaDonna

I agree with BellaDonna

By the way... "JUST" not eating is not the "KEY" to weight loss.... because you can just later on start eating again and gain oll those pounds that you lost trowing-up....

So I would say eat little (if you still want to fast at list a bitt) and do some exercises like I think you have said you were doing...

As someone who survived anorexia, I advise you to NOT limit your eating this way...eating "some" is not eating...I did it the same way and started the same way. Your cutting was destructive yes, and I defintely do not recommend you go back to that, but NOT eating can be DEADLY...people DIE from eating disorders everyday. And you think you can control it and you are in control....just like with cutting it ends up controlling YOU. It is a vicious cycle and a very dark place to go to....and it starts by "limiting" your eating.

The fact you are also making sure to work out a lot while not eating is a classic anorexic behaviour.

To lose weight, you MUST eat...it is the way your metabolism works. Yes, granted eventually your body will eat away at your muscle & fat, but trust me, it is a terrible way to feel and an awful place to go (one many don't come back from). I eat a lot, exercise a lot (am a competitive athlete), workout and eat even MORE, and I am lean, muscular and feel great. It is also a great mood improver to exercise and eat right.

I am worried that you are in the first stages of a very very painful journey, and I urge you to be very careful not to go there. Seek help, talk to a friend, or family member, or a total stranger (like here), a counsellor, someone, but don't use more destruction to cure the cutting or the pain...find healthy outlets (writing, art, exercise, kickboxing...anything healthy for you!).

BellaDonna and Raykay both had very good points. i understand your need to control your weight, and to punish yourself, but this is definitely not the way to do it. i've had an eating disorder for almost 5 years now, and it's not even a choice anymore. it takes a lot out of you, and it makes everything harder to deal with because you just don't have the energy to cope with life, not to mention the many health problems that can develop if you have an eating disorder.

Try writing out your anger, or take up boxing or another physical activity. you can control your weight with exercise and a healthy diet, and you'll definitely find that you can cope with life's everyday problems much easier. i know that the last thing you wanted was another post urging you to reconsider your decision, but please do try some other way to accomplish the same things "fasting" is supposed to be.

~Outcast-Angel