Does anyone here work at Costo?

iwishiknew

I'm tired of making minimum wage and trying to get a job at Costco because they pay very well. Starting pay is around $13 to $14 an hour. I know you can make $20 an hour after 10 yrs. I'd be so happy if I got a job there and I'd be able to earn a decent pay check. I have been applying for a long time and I never get a call back. I'm thinking because I have bachelors degree and I'm over qualified. Does anyone here work at Costco? How long did it take for you to get a job interview? Is it really hard getting a job a Costo? What is your position and how much do you make?

I used to work for them.

I have been applying for a long time and I never get a call back. I'm thinking because I have bachelors degree and I'm over qualified.

Nonsense. I had a teaching degree, couldn't find any work in my field, and they still took me in. They did question my employment gap, but dismissed it since I was unemployed for a few months and was looking for a job right out of college. I also found a LOT of employees who were post college graduates that ended up working at Costco. A lot of us were very depressed about going back to retail when we went to college for better job opportunities.

How long did it take for you to get a job interview? Is it really hard getting a job a Costco?

Like any other company, it depends on their need and current openings. They happened to had an opening in the food court when I applied, offered it to me when I applied for a cashier position, and I took it (I had 3 years of cashier/retail experience prior while I was in college). It wasn't hard for me because I came in and applied at the right time.

What is your position and how much do you make?

This was about 5 years ago and everyone started at $11 (unless you were going for HR). Their benefits were sweet and I was given a 401K option.

However I did not like the labor and had personality conflicts with the manager than I ever did at previous retail places I worked. I transferred from Food court, to bakery, to cashier assistant (slap in the face when again, I had the experience) and ended up shortly leaving once I got a better job offer elsewhere. I was seriously glad to be out of there. Honestly, I think my depression of not finding a career in the field I studied for, having to pay back loans as a result, and having to go back to retail after 3 years of working in the business and burned out may have jaded my perspective/experience with Costco.

I was treated far better at Home Depot. They helped pay 70% of my college tuition EVERY SEMESTER (sadly don't do it anymore), gave employees 1 hour lunch breaks, and their benefits were just the same.

I will say this though being in retail for a bit: if you are applying for a job NOW, you are too late because of the Christmas season. Seasonal employees are hired in August/September and retail is most likely dead right after Christmas. It is difficult to get into retail now, but not impossible.

Archived